Arrow 2 - Tommy Got Shafted...Bit Late, BUT SEASON 2 SPOILERS!

Jaxom 1974

Tonight's ep was only the second one I've seen but I think it could've been better if it had focused solely on the trial rather than having Vertigo and his God-awful accent and his cliched, villain scheme taking up space. Maybe the island flashbacks would've satisfied the action quota.

Seen some pics of Barry Allen in Arrow and he looks like a fetus with a badge standing next to Oliver.

I always thought Merlyn being killed off at the end of the first season was the right way to handle him (and even slightly courageous on the writers' part), now they've gone and blown that. All for the dramatic reveal that the main leverage Moira had over Merlyn was that she had pretended Thea was his daughter? I guess his involvement with the League will help tie him into more interesting plots, but I do hope that this is a brief, temporary return at the end of which he gets killed off for real.

Laurel's importance is minimised even in an episode with a strong emphasis on the trial, and there wasn't even a hint about her pills and booze problem despite a drug plot taking up a large part of the episode. They're really writing her out, aren't they?

ETA:

Seen some pics of Barry Allen in Arrow and he looks like a fetus with a badge standing next to Oliver.

I just watched the promo for the next episode, even standing by himself he looks like he just graduated highschool.

Hm. That felt a little disjointed? I don't think they needed the count - more "trial" + a little more action on island would have sufficed. It felt like they could have had Oliver revert back to killing in another episode -- because while I think it's important it loses a little bit of impact with the Merlyn reveal. (Who I'm pretty "eh" on being brought back, to be honest. I was not surprised he came back, although surprised I'd not heard about it)

But yeah, there was still some cool stuff it just felt disjointed with the island stuff, the count stuff and the trial stuff all in and neither really getting enough focus.

I always thought Merlyn being killed off at the end of the first season was the right way to handle him (and even slightly courageous on the writers' part), now they've gone and blown that. All for the dramatic reveal that the main leverage Moira had over Merlyn was that she had pretended Thea was his daughter? I guess his involvement with the League will help tie him into more interesting plots, but I do hope that this is a brief, temporary return at the end of which he gets killed off for real.

Laurel's importance is minimised even in an episode with a strong emphasis on the trial, and there wasn't even a hint about her pills and booze problem despite a drug plot taking up a large part of the episode. They're really writing her out, aren't they?

Merlyn is the Green Arrow's archnemesis. If Malcolm does get killed again, then there should be a new Merlyn.

Merlyn is the Green Arrow's archnemesis. If Malcolm does get killed again, then there should be a new Merlyn.

I'm not much for the idea of the hero having an archnemesis. With super iconic ones like Batman and the Joker you might be able to justify it, but for the most part it very quickly feels like the writers have run out of ideas if they keep bringing back the same bad guy again and again. And it's actually not even just the villains, when's the last time anybody took a superhero's death seriously instead of wondering how they'd be brought back to life this time?

This may be partly caused by the neverending soap opera nature of the biggest selling superhero comics (combined with changing writers), but on a TV show with a limited lifespan there's no excuse for this.

Merlyn is important to the Green Arrow character in the comics? So he was on this show: his actions not only turned Oliver into a vigilante, ultimately they set him on the path of trying to become a true hero. He helped define what Oliver is about, he doesn't have to be alive for his influence to be felt.

He wouldn't have come back if it wasn't true.

Sure he would, if he wants revenge and possibly still enact a new plan to "save" the city. If, contrary to what Moira told him before, he doesn't have any blood ties to the Queen family, he can go all out. If, on the other hand, it's the other way around, we get the kind of stupid soap opera drama that was the show's weakness in the past.

Archived