Continued Stannis Character Assasination [Book and TV Spoilers]

The scene with Davos was POINTLESS.

Immediately after that he went ahead and still let Melisandre eff with Gendry.

I swear some of you are so delusional its scary. You'll defend this show to death and beyond despite the utter sh*t that is being shown on the television screen. That scene with Davos would have actually meant something if I dunno Stannis had LET GENDRY GO?

What is so hard to contemplate about what the opening poster said? That whole convo in the dungeons was absolutely stupid

Did you not here Mel say that it was Davos who wanted proof of her power (thus doing leeches instead of killing him right off).

Gendry isn't dead yet, he can still be let go.

I don't get why people like to call wolf with "character assassinations" so much.

:agree: I am still waiting for the Stannis is the man moment. For me, it hasn't happened yet. Davos is the only redeeming part of his story.

You don't need to have a big epic battle scene to prove you're "the man". Stannis understanding, due to Davos' advice, that he need to save the Realm he wanted to rule was more important than ruling it is his biggest moment of awesome. He went from "I have to be King because the rules says I'm the real heir" to realise that if he didn't save Westeros from the real danger, no one would.

I love Dany but while her dragons might be quite helpful against the Others, she probably won't leave Essos until is too late. And every other lord, like the Tyrells and the Lannisters, are playing the Game of Thrones for their own convenience and have no idea what's happening beyond the Wall. Littlefinger and Varys who are playing a game themselves, are not even considering the threat that the Others are. So, who is thinking about the realm and all of the people that might die?

Did you not here Mel say that it was Davos who wanted proof of her power (thus doing leeches instead of killing him right off).

Gendry isn't dead yet, he can still be let go.

I don't get why people like to call wolf with "character assassinations" so much.

What does that have to do with anything?

If Davos' opinion truly mattered to Stannis? IF the character of Stannis was even an iota of the "noble just" man that Davos and the show said he was he would have let Gendry go before "Leech on the Penis". PERIOD.

Or you know the stupid writers could have had Davo smuggle him away somehow. But yeah the books don't exist in this bs world of HBOs so of course they had to get the "kings blood" somehow and Edric Storm aint happenin anytime soon...

This show is pure sh*t.

You realize book Stannis let Edric get leeched too right and was even going to let him be sacrificed and it was Davos who saved him on his own to "protect my king from himself"?

Apparently book purist show haters don't even know their stuff...

The scene with Davos was POINTLESS.

Immediately after that he went ahead and still let Melisandre eff with Gendry.

I swear some of you are so delusional its scary. You'll defend this show to death and beyond despite the utter sh*t that is being shown on the television screen. That scene with Davos would have actually meant something if I dunno Stannis had LET GENDRY GO?

What is so hard to contemplate about what the opening poster said? That whole convo in the dungeons was absolutely stupid

this.

they are ruining his character and people who disagree are either non book readers or they don't like or understand Stannis.

it took exactly half of ASOS for him to ultimately consider sacrificing Edric , half of ASOS!!!

he refused Mel multiple times . he was suffering for half a book to make the right decision , agonizing moments of doubt , dilemmas and conflictions of priorities .

it was the hardest decision , he had ever made.

you can see some of these quotes that explain it:

-------------------------------------

“I have told you, no.”

“He is only one baseborn boy, against all the boys of Westeros, and all the girls as well. Against all the children that might ever be born, in all the kingdoms of the world.”

“The boy is innocent.”

“The boy defiled your marriage bed, else you would surely have sons of your own. He shamed you.”

“Robert did that. Not the boy. My daughter has grown fond of him. And he is mine own blood.”

“Your brother’s blood,” Melisandre said. “A king’s blood. Only a king’s blood can wake the stone dragon.”

Stannis ground his teeth. “I’ll hear no more of this.

------------------------------------------

“Edric -” he started.

“ - is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm.” His hand swept across the Painted Table. “How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies... a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone... she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?” He ground his teeth. “We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty.

-----------------------------------------------------

“Your Grace,” said Davos, “the cost. .

“I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning... burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?”

“I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty... If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark... Sacrifice... is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice."

You realize that they aren't done with the storyline right? They will be other opportunities to show his conflict?

no , there isn't enough time left , it was very vital for Stannis character and they ruined it , just like how they showed him like a lusty man ,flirting with Mel !

it is so obvious that D&D hate Stannis with passion. and it is very sad because he is one of the most interesting character in the books and they have ruined it. there is still time though , but they won't be able to fix this mess completely.

How do you know there isn't enough time left?

they can't show his conflict properly in two or three episodes , hell they just introduced Gendry to him and a lot have happened in only one episode . Gendry should have been introduced to him from episode one . I know that was impossible , that's why I think they needed to introduce Edric.

my problem is not just this , they have altered his personality.

anyway I really hope they fix this mess , I really do.

Stannis is in my top three favourite characters in the books and I was perfectly fine with his scenes today. In fact, I thought the scene did a good job of explaining why Davos is held in such a high regard by Stannis.

I also liked the "great battle in the snow" prediction from Stannis.

this.

they are ruining his character and people who disagree are either non book readers or they don't like or understand Stannis.

it took exactly half of ASOS for him to ultimately consider sacrificing Edric , half of ASOS!!!

he refused Mel multiple times . he was suffering for half a book to make the right decision , agonizing moments of doubt , dilemmas and conflictions of priorities .

it was the hardest decision , he had ever made.

you can see some of these quotes that explain it:

You mean a couple of chapters? Because his internal conflict over burning Edric was only in Davos IV and Davos V. There's no accurate way to judge how much time has passed in Dragonstone, and exactly how long Stannis has been pondering burning the boy.

I will NEVER in a million years understand the fandom that surrounds Stannis Baratheon. It really does boggle my mind.

And I will NEVER understand those who don't love Stannis and see what an epic, fantastically written and conceived character he is - it really does boggle my mind.

I originally thought Dillane was acting too thuggish in this episode, but the more I watch the scene, the more it strikes me that Stannis is trying to convince himself that burning Gendry is the right thing to do. On a subconscious level, I think that's why he acts so overly callous when talking about it to Davos. He wants Davos to object and tell him that it's the wrong thing to do, since he's too proud to admit it himself.

I just have to say, that while I think its important to take the show and the book as two autonomous works of art, I am highly disatisfied with this simplified portrayal of Stannis. Whether or not you like him as a character in the books, he is far more complex and three-dimensional than he is in this television series. His immediate willingness to sacrifice Gendry was such a let down for me. There wasn't even a split second of conflict. Stannis was adamantly opposed to burning Edric initially and was only convinced when he believed there was absolutely no other option to save the kingdom. Here, Stannis has little to no regard for Gendry's life, and it just felt to me like the writers were purposely ignoring the source material in order to further establish him as villain. Unlike the books, where we have the proper space for us to contemplate Stannis' character and moral ambiguity, the series creates a narrow spectrum in which he can only be viewed as an entitled douchebag. If you're going to make deviations in a character arc, you should maintain the complexity of said characters, rather than simplify them in order to force you're own views down the throats of the audience.

THANK YOU. Now I don't have to make this comment.

Fucking bastards white-washing Tyrion and making Stannis into a douche...

Rabid Stannis fans man... there's no talking sense to them.

Rabid Stannis haters man... there's no talking sense to them.

You realize book Stannis let Edric get leeched too right and was even going to let him be sacrificed and it was Davos who saved him on his own to "protect my king from himself"?

Apparently book purist show haters don't even know their stuff...

Piss on that. He opposed Mel rather than going along with it right away like he does here and his acceptance of Davos taking Edric away shows his true opinion on the matter. Nor was there any mention of Edric being fucking tied to a bed and screaming for help or even being a prisoner.

You mean a couple of chapters? Because his internal conflict over burning Edric was only in Davos IV and Davos V. There's no accurate way to judge how much time has passed in Dragonstone, and exactly how long Stannis has been pondering burning the boy.

in Davos IV the ritual of leeches happened and in Davos VI Stannis made his decision , so actually there are 3 chapters . the time gap between these chapters is huge.

Davos doesn't get a lot of chapters like some POVs : Jon , Tyrion and Danny.

yes ,there is no accurate way but it was probably for months ,

from the ritual of leeches till the death of the false kings which probably took months for three of them to die.

I will NEVER in a million years understand the fandom that surrounds Stannis Baratheon. It really does boggle my mind.

When I read the books, I imagined Stannis saying those words, the "What's one bastard against the realm" much more sullenly. Soft and truly hard considered. In the show, he says it as though it's as clear as night and day. Gendry or the realm. I don't blame the show, I've come to accept that the show does not = the books about two seasons ago. But I do feel Stannis' character was done a dishonor. At the same time, we still have two more episodes, and potentially more episodes next season, so I'll save my judgement until at least the end of season four.

Archived