How will the TV Audience feel about Tyrion? (Book 3 Spoiler)

Bridgeburners

The difference is Shae in the show is a much nicer character than she is in the books. She protects Sansa at the risk of her own life. She won't take Varys's offer of a bag of diamonds so she can stay with Tyrion. At this point of the story, she's undoubtedly a good person. Killing her for the reasons of sleeping with someone else or embarrassing him would make Tyrion a villain.

Uhh that's not simply all she did to Tyrion in the books. She completely betrayed him. Does that justify murder? Not in modern times, but it would in the world of Westeros.

If she doesn't betray Tyrion on the tv show, then yes, Tyrion murdering her would be unjustified and seen as villainous. D&D and Bryan Cogman presumably know this and aren't likely to screw it up. Either she betrays him and dies at his hands, or she doesn't and dies at Tywin's hands.

People did not love Walter White after what he did in Season 2 to a girl that wronged him and that wasn't even half as bad as what Tyrion did to Shae.

Actually there are lots of people still rooting for Walter White, myself included.

Well... He's hated by everyone with no fucking particular reason-

He gets no credit for his effort to save King's Landing and generally for his acts as King's Hand-

He stembled into whoring because his shit of a father ordered his beloved wife to be gang-raped by his men and then shipped her away, Tyrion first true love-

Tyrion thinks that no woman could ever love him because he is a dwarf and ugly and always reminds himself of Tysha being a whore and that no woman that isn't a whore would touch him-

Stupid Sansa couldn't see behind his ugliness and be at least kind to him-

He is despised by his father only because his mother died at his birth as if it was his fault-

He was denied his rightful rights as the heir of Tywin unjustly-

He was humiliated many time by many characters just because he was a dwarf and ugly, never truly aappreciated for his strengths-

He was falsely accused for murder Joffery, than being mocked by the court of King's Landing and hearing many people telling lies about him (including Shae, and i highly doubt that she had no choice or felt sorry, it was obvious she was with him only for his money, i really don't think she had a trouble betraying him), making him a treasnous monster and a kinslayer, and so he was left freindless-

He was sentenced to death only because his stupid sister that also hated him for no reason (no reason he knew at least)-

He found out his own beloved brother, one of the few people that actually seemed to care and love him, was part of this that his first wife was raped and shipped away-

He found Shae later in his father's bed, which i can't even start to understand what he felt that moment.

Well... I wont say its completely justified ,but I can understand and accept Tyrion killing everyone (who did him wrong) and not hate him for it. I mean... I feel that after so much he has suffered murdering Shae can't be hold agianst him.

I dont think Shae will testify against Tyrion as she really loves him in the show. Unless she was working for Cersei and Tywin all along and that was why she refused Varys offer. But that would be a bit shock, and Varys is hardly ever fooled.

Well, show-Tyrion is more of a "good guy" than his book counterpart, so it'll be more of a "shock" to actually see him murder someone in cold blood.

But on the other hand, I find that show-Shae is way more unsympathetic than book-Shae. She's always nagging and pissed. How much of her screentime is actually dedicated to them sharing some happy moments with each other? I don't get what he sees in her.

I dont think Shae will testify against Tyrion as she really loves him in the show.

I think that was more of a pride thing... she thought that Tyrion just wanted to get rid of her by paying her off, without even having the courtesy of telling her himself. I believe she reacted exactly as Varys expected her to react.

Uhh that's not simply all she did to Tyrion in the books. She completely betrayed him. Does that justify murder? Not in modern times, but it would in the world of Westeros.

Not in any world. Varys betrayed him too. Does that mean he deserves death? Tyrion was already a dead man before their testimonies. The evidence against him was already enormous. By betraying him, it didn't change anything about his situation, it just served to protect herself.

Actually there are lots of people still rooting for Walter White, myself included.

Well, Walter White is as villainous a character as there ever was in Season 5. Rooting for him now is like rooting for Joffrey or Ramsay.

I think the T.V. Shae is awful. I don't know if it's her acting or what but I can't stand her. Plus she reacts totally different to Tyrion marrying Sansa. In the books she doesn't seem to care but in the show she gets all upset about it. If Tyrion doesn't kill her I will be upset." Hands of gold are always cold"

I think the T.V. Shae is awful. I don't know if it's her acting or what but I can't stand her. Plus she reacts totally different to Tyrion marrying Sansa. In the books she doesn't seem to care but in the show she gets all upset about it. If Tyrion doesn't kill her I will be upset." Hands of gold are always cold"

I can get behind disliking the actress. I don't particularly enjoy any of her performance but why is it better as a story to have her not care for Tyrion? If anything it makes her death more interesting, and Tyrion can still have the whole Tysha complex since she'd still be the only woman who loved him and didn't fuck him over, and the only person to have not betrayed him that he cared about.

I can get behind disliking the actress. I don't particularly enjoy any of her performance but why is it better as a story to have her not care for Tyrion? If anything it makes her death more interesting, and Tyrion can still have the whole Tysha complex since she'd still be the only woman who loved him and didn't fuck him over, and the only person to have not betrayed him that he cared about.

Oh I totally get that it's just it kind of bothers me that she doesn't realize he has no control over that and he does not want to marry her. She's too strong minded on the show when in the books I didn't pick any of that up at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the chain is there for nothing... If they showed it, it needs to have a purpose. They have the whole 4th season to show it again, maybe make Shae wear it in some significant moment, turn it into a symbol of their relationship.

I think the audience will understand Tyrion's motives well enough. During season four he will be suffering more and more humiliations from his family (remember when he gives Joffrey the book, or Joffrey's wedding...) and they have 10 episodes to mention Tysha again and talk about the depth of Tyrion's trauma (they have mentioned it quite a few times, anyway, in several conversations with his family) Maybe a scene of Jaime talking to Cersei, or Brienne or someone and showing regrets for that episode would also help.

Like I said earlier, all they have to do is show Shae killing somebody in the service of the Lannisters and the viewers will justify the death. It may be a cheap way to keep Tyrion popular but that is what television is all about unfortunately. Tyrion will not know about the murder but the viewers will see it and so it still leaves the moral ambiguity open. It's going to be a great tv moment when she is talking about how much she loves him and the next day turns on him in front of the entire court, that alone will turn much of the audience against her.

D&D are huge Tyrion fans. While they do make him a lighter character, most people who've read all the books and still love Tyrion like him because he's so multi-faceted. I think it's too critical of a character point for him, and D&D wouldn't want to wreck it.

It will be a shocking moment but it's not going to cause a "revolt" or make everyone hate Tyrion. In Weeds, it was shocking what Shane did, but he was still interesting. A lot of the Buffy crowd likes Faith even though she went on a few rampages. Or in Supernatural, when Castiel royally fucks over the main characters but is still beloved by most fans. For a similar situation, take Titus Pullo in Rome, and what he does to Gaia, or Vorenus and how his honor-wounded spaz attack ends in total tragedy. It's shocking but it's not a fall from viewer grace.

Totally spitballing, but maybe Shae is threatened with all manner of pain and suffering. She thinks back to Varys' offer, and how she could have been kicking it up in luxury. Maybe she purposely makes Tyrion look guilty to move the blame from Sansa (since they've established their relationship). Or, she's told that if he's convicted he'll only be sent to the Wall--if she testifies, so she thinks she's saving him from a worse fate. Considering Tywin could end her life with a snap of his fingers and she is still a whore, it's not that weird for her to sleep with him. Tyrion walks in, has a Blue Screen of Death. Shae tries to explain but he's too far gone and he strangles her.

(Total side note, but I didn't really consider Tywin to be all that much of a hypocrite when it came to whores. I always thought it was Tyrion's flagrant whoremongering and lack of discretion that pissed him off so he was firmly "no whores for you!" NOT an exact example, but I'm not a hypocrite if I tell my alcoholic relative not to drink yet still enjoy wine with my steak.)

I don't think they will use the Tysha motive in the show for killing Tywin, imo almost everyone already forgot that little story Tyrion told to Bronn and Shae. So the motive will most likely be Shae in some form, especially since she is more developed in the show than in books, where she is basically just a whore and even Tyrion constantly keeps reminding himself of that. I hope that Shae will just dissapear and Tyrion will know it was Tywin who took her from him. He will confront him and ask him where is Shae. He will receive a simple answer of "wherever whores go" and kill Tywin ;) I really really doubt that Tyrion will kill Shae even if she betrays him and testifies, imo D&D won't risk the wrath of people who only watch the show. Oh and I don't like her character in the show either, was thinking too that it's likely because of the actress, although her character is rather lame also.

Once they started making bigger changes after season 1, more and more changes will be applied in the show since it will make no sense for some of the stuff from the books to be in the show. And as I was reading AFFC and aDwD I thought there is no way they can pull this off in the show without some big changes and/or ommiting several characters. So I am really interested what path will they take from here on out, even though majority of season 4 will probably be the latter part of book 3 which can be translated pretty straight forward to the show imo.

I really really doubt that Tyrion will kill Shae even if she betrays him and testifies, imo D&D won't risk the wrath of people who only watch the show.

Kind of like how they shied away from the Red Wedding...

Archived