Soccer XLVI: The Rumour Mill Keeps Spinning

Renasko

This is false, DC average attendance is better than that this year and that's after two seasons of declining attendance. We are bad, but not Chivas USA bad.

http://en.wikipedia....._United_season

sure. dc and other mls teams get more people in the stands than the portland thorns who are averaging 12000. but, in typical portland fashion they have a very vocal, very passionate and very active fanbase constantly singing, jumping, displaying tifo and creating a great atmosphere for the game.

that is where so many mls fanbases need to improve.

oh....and i read that remy is having a physical today.

sure. dc and other mls teams get more people in the stands than the portland thorns who are averaging 12000. but, in typical portland fashion they have a very vocal, very passionate and very active fanbase constantly singing, jumping, displaying tifo and creating a great atmosphere for the game.

oh....and i read that remy is having a physical today.

I'd rather have more quiet fans personally.

My job is slowly making me hate most football fans lol.

Despite being a Liverpool fan, I'm hardly a Gerrard fan boy. He was pretty terrible last season until Lucas returned to cover behind him and, apart from a glorious partnership with Torres, there were long stretches of his peak years where he tried too hard to be Roy of the Rovers and diminished his teammates by hogging the ball and looking for Hollywood passes. But he is still a really great player and he impressed me a lot in 2013 by finding a new role that balances his declining speed/stamina with the needs of the team. I think Coutinho will get many more assists and goals than Gerrard next season, but Gerrard and Lucas (returning to peak fitness) will be quietly dominating games in a way we really lacked last season.

I think Dempsey would have done better at Everton than Seattle but I'm not surprised that ahead of his last (?) world cup he did not want to risk the Spurs bench. I also think the claim of discrimination against American players is laughable. America just has not yet produced high enough quality outfield players. I think McBride and Dempsey did great things at Fulham, I like Holden a lot, Altidore and Kamara could both do very well at Sunderland and Norwich.... but there has not been any great neglected talent among US players. Donovan seems to have hid in the more comfortable MLS.

I play with former college and former semi-pro players here in the US. Their style would easily suit the BPL (much more so than the continental leagues), but they don't seem to have the critical mass of top quality competition at young ages that is available in more established systems. I think that is improving every year as soccer claims a bigger share of youth athletics, so sooner or later we'll see the emergence of top tier US talent.

I am still disapointed that Dempsey didn't give it one more go in the UK or at least abroad elsewhere. If the US is going to compete we need players in top teams. I understadn why he did it, but I still don't like it.

The US only really has one outfield player on a "top" European team. Bradley has been doing great things in Rome and is definatley the United States' most importantr player. I greant Roma isn't a European superpower, but starting in the midfield with the likes of DeRossi, Pjanic and now Strootman is amazing and he may be one of the most successful Americans abroad ever.

Sure. I'm just refuting the assertion I responded to, not additional ones added ex post facto. Goalposts should stand still ;)

Yeah, I think it should help mollify USMNT fans who are annoyed at the deal. It definitely makes me feel a little bit better. Of course, it depends in part on where he goes and what kind of role he has. I'm ecstatic for Seattle though, and think the deal is great for the game in this country.

Ha, no, not really. You do see the USMNT acronym a lot on the internet though. The women's team here has more currency than in many countries though (certainly relative to our men's side) so it's useful to easily distinguish.

Yeah, I think it should help mollify USMNT fans who are annoyed at the deal. It definitely makes me feel a little bit better. Of course, it depends in part on where he goes and what kind of role he has. I'm ecstatic for Seattle though, and think the deal is great for the game in this country.

Aren't Seattle paying him about 8 million a year? That's a hell of a lot eh

So the MLS pretty much screwed Portland on the Dempsey deal. The rules are pretty clear that Portland had first right of refusal on Dempsey, so they should have either got him, or Seattle should have had to pay for him. Basically the MLS said "the established rules do not apply because publicity". It's kind of a shitty move.

Aren't Seattle paying him about 8 million a year? That's a hell of a lot eh

I didn't see the length of the contract but I heard $40 million bandied about, so it would make sense. I think that might be more than Beckham even? Wasn't he on $5m/year?

The deal is good for the league's visibility but I worry about the ability of less deep-pocketed teams to compete.

I didn't see the length of the contract but I heard $40 million bandied about, so it would make sense. I think that might be more than Beckham even? Wasn't he on $5m/year?

The deal is good for the league's visibility but I worry about the ability of less deep-pocketed teams to compete.

That's what I heard. Highest paid player in MLS history. Though to be hoenst, whether MLS or anywhere, that is BIG BUCKS!

He's got the quality to absolutely boss the league though and the shirt sales will be enormous (especially if he plays a big part in a successful World Cup campaign) so they'll easily earn their money back I reckon.

The MLS really needs Seattle to be a championship-caliber team. It's the biggest fanbase in the league, and IMO, is one of very few cities (other than LA and NY) that could entice the major stars to come play in the US. Kansas City can be the best team in the world, but very few international stars want to go live in Kansas City. Same with Columbus, Denver, San Jose, Houston, Salt Lake City, and to a lesser extent Philly, Dallas, DC, and maybe some others. Seattle is actually a pretty cool spot though.

How far off being that standard are they at the moment, Tormund?

They're one of the more well known teams over on our side as far as I can tell, but that doesn't always equal success I suppose.

Archived