Cricket XIX - Australian Hundreds and Other Myths

Stubby

I'd be tempted to declare now, even if the rain stops quickly.

I'm a bit surprised Australia are still batting here. I know they say you can't take into account weather forcasts but they're almost certainly going to lose some time. They aren't going to have enough time to make it beyond doubt and 312 is already a decent lead.

Doesn't loook that bad to me.

I was at a Gaelic Football match last night and the video image on the big screen was far brighter than what I could see live.

I've experienced that before, so I think the TV images are misleading to the real conditions.

Play abandoned for the day. Given that, how much of a cock-up was it that Clarke didn't declare sometime around tea?

It probably didn't make a great deal of difference in the end, I suspect the umpires would have been quicker to go off if England's batsmen were facing the new ball. They might have gotten a few overs in and who knows what would have happened but it's how much play they get in tomorrow that's going to be the issue.

Even if it's a full day tomorrow, I suspect England will bat for the draw - while 330 in a day is doable, it would require a run rate rather higher than they've been scoring recently.

There's a possibility of zero play tomorrow, let alone a full day. Then again, you never know with Mancunians.

Just woke up and caught up on the news.

I don't think Clarke declaring would have made a difference. If England were batting, they would have gone off earlier and lost the same amount of time anyway. As it is, I doubt there is anything Clarke could have done to prevent a draw from happening, unless he declared with a lead of 200 or so, which would have been suicide.

I don't like that they've changed it so that the batsmen have no choice about whether or not they are being taken off the field. Seems to me this gives too much of an advantage to the fielding side, who can stall if the light is fading. No way of reenacting the Karachi match anymore :(.

ST

Oh yeah, that Karachi match was brilliant. Graham Thorpe swinging and missing at every ball, Inzi fielding on the boundary and just standing there as a ball went past him.

You could make an argument that fielding is harder in the dark, but there's no question that bad light is much more of a disadvantage to the batting side. So if the batting side is happy to continue, you'd think the common sense option would be to keep going. In most cases (except ones like this) the fielding side would want to go on too, as there's more chance of getting a wicket.

Oh yeah, that Karachi match was brilliant. Graham Thorpe swinging and missing at every ball, Inzi fielding on the boundary and just standing there as a ball went past him.

You could make an argument that fielding is harder in the dark, but there's no question that bad light is much more of a disadvantage to the batting side. So if the batting side is happy to continue, you'd think the common sense option would be to keep going. In most cases (except ones like this) the fielding side would want to go on too, as there's more chance of getting a wicket.

Was that the match where the call to prayer went out before they finished and the stadium just emptied in minutes while the match was still going on?

Archived