True Detective: New HBO drama [Spoilers]

Mark Antony

I don't know.. aside from Boardwalk Empire and game of Thrones, I'm kind of done with HBO. AMC is where its been at in the recent years.

Don't discount FX. They have a lot of great shows as well of late. Obviously none of them are "breaking bad" but then AMC isn't just breaking bad either,

I'd say amc has the best show on of those i watch (breaking bad) but i think i'd still say hbo is leading, but not by much. i've never seen mad men but if it's as good as people say, then yeah, maybe amc is better as of now.

and isn't amc pretty small as of now? not saying that's bad though, but i think they just have around five own-produced shows.

Wait, how is HBO leading? All they have that's "really" good is GoT and Boardwalk Empire. And not even GoT if you have read the books.

HBO is leading because they put out more varied, quality content than any other network. FX is the only network that's even close, if you ask me. AMC has Mad Men and Breaking Bad, but just about everything else they air is mediocre or outright bad (I say "just about" because I thought Rubicon was good, and had the potential to be great).

In 2013, HBO has aired or will air:

Girls

Enlightened

Game of Thrones

Veep

Family Tree

Vice

True Blood

The Newsroom

Boardwalk Empire

Eastbound & Down

Hello Ladies

Getting On

Ja'Mie: Private School Girl

Treme

They also aired Real Time with Bill Maher, Parade's End (miniseries), some good original movies (Phil Spector, Mary & Martha, Behind the Candelabra), and a lot of really good documentaries, special events, and sports programming.

Like I said, FX is probably the closest competitor in terms of the quality and amount of original content, mainly because of their comedy line-up (It's Always Sunny..., The League, Wilfred, Archer, and especially Louie), though Justified is great, and The Americans and The Bridge (thus far) had really good first seasons.

Anyway, I think this looks pretty great. There's been an influx of television shows focused on or around serial killers lately, but with the kind of talent this show has in front of and behind the camera, I have to imagine that this one will stand out from the crowd. I like the fact that HBO is treating the show as an anthology series, as well. It'll be exciting to see where they take the show in the future, and who they'll bring on board to write/act/direct.

• 1 month later...

That looks absolutely fantastic. How did they get these two leads? I have something to look forward to from HBO now...

The plan is to do the show as an anthology with a new story and characters each season (much like American Horror Story is done now).

This means bigger stars/directors will sign on because the time commitment is short and finite.

That's how GoT was able to get Sean Bean.

• 2 months later...

Additionally with too many dollops of Sons of Anarchy.

I am so tired of this stuff.

You haven't even seen one episode, and you're already "tired" of the show? Makes sense. In any case, this show doesn't look anything like True Blood or Sons of Anarchy.

Also, for those interested, the first reviews are coming in and they're basically glowing...

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/true-detective

And if you haven't seen it yet, here's a really good behind-the-scenes video for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYq2bDaGt4

Archived