True Detective: New HBO drama [Spoilers]

Mark Antony

Oh, I'm with you, Mark Antony! I mean, Alexandra Daddario is a pretty girl and all but...Michelle Monaghan! Besides, I'm old enough to be Alexandra Daddario's father and Woody's quite a bit older than me! But, I guess, that's part of the whole point: it doesn't make much sense but he's doing it anyway...because he can. That makes him human (i.e. sometimes irrational/hypocritical, etc.)

I really liked the episode. The only thing that was a little disappointing to me was the murder tableaux. It seemed very reminiscent of Hannibal, so I wasn't as shocked as I should have been.

Also, there's the connection between the little girl's disappearance and the current murder. McC asked the "recorders" if they wanted the "hero scene" when we rescue the children (they responded not yet). I wonder if they indeed "rescued" children from this new cult/church. I hope it's not a "pay for your sins" theme though. Seven did a heck of a job with that.

It's early yet, of course, but I kind of get the feeling that the motive for the killings will not be the occult (or will be more than that). This is because I think one of the themes of the story will be how many (e.g. clergy, politicians, etc.) may want to use things, no matter what they are, to further their own agenda. :dunno:

Also, there's the connection between the little girl's disappearance and the current murder. McC asked the "recorders" if they wanted the "hero scene" when we rescue the children (they responded not yet). I wonder if they indeed "rescued" children from this new cult/church. I hope it's not a "pay for your sins" theme though. Seven did a heck of a job with that.

Thanks for bringing that line up because it confused me a bit. I figured it was an element of the mystery we've yet to start unravelling but I didn't make the connection that the Fontenot girl might be involved (although now that I think of it she's an obvious Chekhov's gun).

It's early yet, of course, but I kind of get the feeling that the motive for the killings will not be the occult (or will be more than that). This is because I think one of the themes of the story will be how many (e.g. clergy, politicians, etc.) may want to use things, no matter what they are, to further their own agenda. :dunno:

I agree.

I missed the line about the 'hero' scene and rescuing children.

Could have done with a bit more humour. People aren't usually so grim in every single one of their social interactions. I did appreciate Marty calling Rust on his weird philosophical soliloquys. It's amazing how often characters don't comment on stuff like that.

I won't say much, but the occult and somewhat Lovecraftian elements are very important to the story and themes of this show.

I was amazed on how this felt like it was watching a movie, and they paused it halfway through the movie.

WH kept cracking me up on how he shut down MM when he'd start rambling on philosophically. It was easily the best part of the show.

Great interview. It made me wish I had the whole season just waiting to marathon, instead of this gruelling week-to-week wait.

I'm thinking I might do this. I have enough shows to watch. This show feels like it'd be perfect to binge watch. The problem is it's too good.

I thought it was decent, I'm not too impressed by anything in this show yet and hopefully that changes as the season progresses. Some of the shots were very good, I'm not familiar with the director but he really does seem to have an eye for setting a scene ( one of the scenes I'm thinking of is early in the first episode when the two detectives are talking, but we're not close to them at all, and whilst that's something you see fairly often in films/ TV, I thought it looked gorgeous)

I did have some problems with it though, it's certainly not something original ( it doesn't need to be as someone pointed out above) but there was nothing in that show for me to latch onto. I appreciated the tone of the episode, but it's difficult for me to actually enjoy watching it when Rust's character is one which does nothing for me, it's all very bland, and even though Harrelson is okay, he just feels like a non entity in the show. He just seems there, sort of occupying space, I think it in part has something to do with the fact that Harrelson, so far, does not bring anything to the role. It all seems far too generic.

It's only the first episode, and I'm probably being too harsh on both those characters but I couldn't help but feel disappointed when it ended. I was more left with the feeling of, is this it? Rather than one where I'm actually looking forward to the next episode. Maybe it's a show meant for binge watching, but given all the positive reviews so far, I'm certain it will get better .

Additionally, I really hope Harrelson's character is not having an affair with that women who showed up mid-way through the episode. That seemed far too on the nose for me.

I thought the present day interviews really added a lot. Seeing the wrecked shell of a man Rust becomes. That and the setting (did they shoot on location for this?) Apart from that it does feel like something I've seen before, but it's done well.

Nice work with the age makeup too. Harrelson's toupee was a bit too obvious, but apart from that they did a great job.

I thought the present day interviews really added a lot. Seeing the wrecked shell of a man Rust becomes. That and the setting (did they shoot on location for this?) Apart from that it does feel like something I've seen before, but it's done well.

Nice work with the age makeup too. Harrelson's toupee was a bit too obvious, but apart from that they did a great job.

I think every shot was on location. That's one of the things about this that's unique (along with single director, writer and great movie actors).

Archived