True Detective: New HBO drama [Spoilers]

Mark Antony

What I did like was the realism of the show and how the occult was handled. For example, when they are talking to the preacher in the parish church, the preacher mentions Santeria and neither officer reacts. Santeria was not well known about outside of the communities that it was practiced in during the 90's.

I usually don't watch this type of show, but I saw the ads for it and figured that I might as well watch it since I was tuning in for the GOT trailer. I was actually pretty impressed and watched the encore presentation as well. I am not a MM fan at all, but I really liked the acting he was doing last night.

About the Marty and Rust fallout, in one scene, a court file clerk comes by to see Marty and they had to go off privately. Rust caught that and it makes me wonder if Marty isn't having an affair. So possibly Rust eventually has an affair with Marty's wife?

I noticed he wasn't wearing a ring on his left hand during the interogation, so he's either divorced or his wife died. But I too think that Hart is having an affair with the girl that came in with the papers... and there is also a line that he said in 2012, saying that people who have no family normaly end up dead within 10 years after they retire unless they keep busy and that's what he's doing (with his security company if I heard right).

About the Marty and Rust fallout, in one scene, a court file clerk comes by to see Marty and they had to go off privately. Rust caught that and it makes me wonder if Marty isn't having an affair. So possibly Rust eventually has an affair with Marty's wife?

Yeah I also thought he was having an affair after that little scene.

I noticed he wasn't wearing a ring on his left hand during the interogation, so he's either divorced or his wife died. But I too think that Hart is having an affair with the girl that came in with the papers... and there is also a line that he said in 2012, saying that people who have no family normaly end up dead within 10 years after they retire unless they keep busy and that's what he's doing (with his security company if I heard right).

I would suspect divorced. A widower would probably continue to wear his ring.

Okay, I watched the premiere and the encore last night and missed this part both times (dealing with kids and work) but how does the disappearance of the little girl, labeled as a false report, come up and what significance did it play in the murder case?

Add me to the list who thinks that Marty was having an affair...and am I the only one who thinks there was some definite heat between Maggie and Rust at the dinner table?

The current detectives ask Rust that question and he calls it intuition. They were investigating the neighborhood where they had the last known address for Dora. One of the locals ask if it was the Fontaneaux? girl that they found. They asked to have the case pulled and are told that it was family problems. Mr Fontaneaux was a local baseball hero who was uncle to the missing girl. They decided to go by their home and while Marty is asking about whether they ever heard from the girl's father or mother, Rust goes looking around the backyard and looks into an old shed and finds a small replica of the 'devil nets' that were found at the crime scene.

I was really intrigued by the interview with Dora Kelly's ex-husband in prison and the things he was saying she said to him in their last conversation.

'A King'. That ties back into the Green Man (green-haired spaghetti monster) and as Tobin pointed out, the Horned God. In some tellings of Celtic mythology, the Green Man and Horned God (Cernunnos) are the same. The Celts were a shamanic society and the symbolism at the murder scene fits in with ancient shamanic rituals.

There was something odd about the interviews the two cops were doing. They met Rust one week before they met Hart, yet they never really asked him anything about Hart, yet when they met Hart (one week later), they continuously asked him about his relationship with Rust. Something's fishy there.

Yea, they suspect him of killing the girl on the bridge.

I thought the first episode was excellent and McConaughey as good as the hype. Can't wait to see where it goes.

In the pagan faith, the Lady has three aspects: Maiden, Mother, Crone. These are distinctly documented. The Horned God (Cernunnos) is less documented. In GB, he becomes associated with Robin Hood, Jack of All Trades, Jack of the Lantern, Puck and serves early Christianity with a model for 'The Devil'. In some interpretations, the Green Man is an aspect of the Horned God. In most interpretations, the Green Man can be correlated with the Coyote of Native American folklore.

And this is what I find interesting...both the Celts and the Native Americans have a shamanic religiosity. The Coyote and the Green Man follow a similar role...as tricksters.

Makes me wonder if the term 'coyote' will start getting tossed around.

As far as the interrogation dates go, it seemed to me that the current officers may have Rust pegged as the perp of the new crime.

Yea, they suspect him of killing the girl on the bridge.

I thought the first episode was excellent and McConaughey as good as the hype. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Glad its not just me seeing that! (Cohle being pegged and MM actually doing some real acting :) )

In the pagan faith, the Lady has three aspects: Maiden, Mother, Crone. These are distinctly documented. The Horned God (Cernunnos) is less documented. In GB, he becomes associated with Robin Hood, Jack of All Trades, Jack of the Lantern, Puck and serves early Christianity with a model for 'The Devil'. In some interpretations, the Green Man is an aspect of the Horned God. In most interpretations, the Green Man can be correlated with the Coyote of Native American folklore.

And this is what I find interesting...both the Celts and the Native Americans have a shamanic religiosity. The Coyote and the Green Man follow a similar role...as tricksters.

Makes me wonder if the term 'coyote' will start getting tossed around.

GB?

ETA: Great Britain?

GB?

ETA: Great Britain?

Yes. More specifically, pre-Christian Britannia (which includes modern day England, Scotland and Ireland). The Roman Catholic Church appointed Feast days to give the original Pagan holidays some competition and Saints to replace the old Gods and Goddesses.

I watched it earlier today and was very impressed. The cinematography was amazing, especially for TV, and the acting great as well. I can't remember the last time something on a TV show disturbed me as much as the first moment we saw the victim at the tree. Creepy stuff indeed. I love the slow, methodical pace as well. I'm glad they didn't cop out and just have a lot of action in it to satisfy those that want that.

You know, thinking about it - there is a lot of subtle awesome in this show:

The film itself has this kind of yellow/green wash to it - almost like archival footage from the 70s or something. We're used to super-crisp-ultra-realistic looking definition, so this slightly off-colored balance to the palate helps put you on edge and uncomfortable. It's like how a piece of music can go from beautiful to sinister with a slight change in Key.

The coffee mug 'ash tray' - this is just a throw-away thing, but it perks the writer in me: you don't see the cop, he doesn't say anything, but you know he's irritated by just the way the cup slides into frame after McC refuses to back down on having a cigarette.

Cohle's 'apartment' - so empty and says so much about his state of mind...

Wow that first episode was excellent. It's what I've come to expect with HBO.

I usually hate crime shows but this is on a whole different level. McConaughey and Harrelson are brilliant, they play off each other so well.

The premises for the show and the plot is also intriguing. The cinematography, direction and screenplay are on par with some of the best tv I have ever seen. 10/10 first episode.

Now I got something to watch before GoT starts again in April :)

Well this and Walking Dead.

Archived