Daario Naharis isn't so bad.

E-Ro

Not the full blown wig, but I think he may need to take the wig and work on a few extra locks of his own. Plus, it looks like this guy's hair is a bit darker than the Daario the First. HAR, the world is getting populated with LOTS of Daarios, that must drive some BSC as it is.

For the night is dark and full of Daarios. :uhoh:

The thing is, the whole wlidling culture is based on rape. Its part of their marriage ceremonies. Mance knows full well how they will act south of the wall, and the suffering it will cause. But he doesnt care. He is also aware of the threat of the others and still willing to bring the wall down, knowing full well that it will mean the others get south. imo, daario is morally superior to mance.

Nah brah, im serious with this. Still struggling to understand the hate directed at him, so far it seems like people don't like his blue hair, i guess.

Fair enough. I think its also fair to say we shouldn't blame him for things that haven't happened.

I have to disagree on the point that he was willing to bring the wall down, I don't see that at all. For all we know, he couldn't have brought the wall down, and in all honesty, he could have snuck them all over an abandoned part of the Wall, but instead, he showed up at the main gate, that in itself is kinda strange.

The entire Westerosi culture is based on rape, technically, that could be said. I'm certain if we could talk to every teen girl ever given away to some man by her father, I doubt we'd necessarily get a ringing endorsement of the system. I like how Jon Snow and Stannis both seem to realize, albeit at starters for different reasons, that on the norm.........Wildings are just people who happened to be on the inconvenient side when the Wall went up. Jon looks at it more humanely, but I don't think it can be said that Stannis went through all this trouble to co-opt the Wildings because he just wants swords. There is more to it to Stannis, too, I think, and more than the fear of Wildings becoming wights.

ETA: Afterall, Stannis is the man who raised up a smuggler and then eventually made him his Hand.

Eh, E Ro, liking Daario is maybe a bit much. On a purely visceral level, I find him about as much of a turn-on as the Yellow Whale (seriously, I can't handle his brand of pube-dyeing, gold mustached capering). And beyond that, I find him fairly grating.

That being said, yes, he's over the top, but I actually think he's a more important, perhaps even rounder, character than many give him credit for. He's the character who represents this pure ID, who re-establishes Dany's identity as "the dragon," which she ends up losing for much of DwD. Dany loses sight of who she is and the power she holds while in Meereen. She goes to various lengths to appease the slaver class, and begins to forget about the freedmen who call her Mhysa. She discontinues holding court, and keeps her dragons chained, descending into a fairly self-imposed stasis during this book.

Daario functions as a catalyst to get her back on track. He tells her-- correctly-- that she's uniquely a queen in her own right, and as the person with the most power, she can dictate the terms she wishes, implying that she ought to do away entirely with all of the slaver enemies and their interests. He's also the one who reminds her that her people need her, and that she's spent too long away from court and appeasing the slavers.

So in terms of who Dany is as "the dragon," Daario is actually the one person who accepts and understands this identity of hers and encourages her to embrace it.

Completely agree except for that part, Dany and Darrio have a conversation about how he was paid off by "frog" to get her to hold court; I highly doubt he cares about her people

I have to disagree on the point that he was willing to bring the wall down, I don't see that at all. For all we know, he couldn't have brought the wall down, and in all honesty, he could have snuck them all over an abandoned part of the Wall, but instead, he showed up at the main gate, that in itself is kinda strange.

Well, I am just going by what he said here, and he said he was willing to bring it down, whether he was bluffing, or didnt actually have the capability to bring it down isn't known.

The entire Westerosi culture is based on rape, technically, that could be said. I'm certain if we could talk to every teen girl ever given away to some man by her father, I doubt we'd necessarily get a ringing endorsement of the system. I like how Jon Snow and Stannis both seem to realize, albeit at starters for different reasons, that on the norm.........Wildings are just people who happened to be on the inconvenient side when the Wall went up. Jon looks at it more humanely, but I don't think it can be said that Stannis went through all this trouble to co-opt the Wildings because he just wants swords. There is more to it to Stannis, too, I think, and more than the fear of Wildings becoming wights.

I think the wilding system is far worse. In the seven kingdoms rape is punished. The wildlings actively encourage and allow it. There is no punishment at all, because its not a crime.

Arranged marriages =/= rape

I agree.

You know Melisandre has hair removal creme in her medicine bag and is purposely not sharing it with Selyse, too.

I know you're joking but now that I think about it, she can do MAGIC. I'm pretty sure she can take care of a little facial hair if she wanted. That is such a Mean Girls move.

By modern standards, lots and lots of Planetos ideas of courtship are disgusting, I didn't know we were being selective about when to apply modern standards. As a free woman (Gawd, why do I now hear Tv Ygritte when I say that), it all disgusts me in one form or another. All the different societies have differing degrees of disgust as the norm, but they also each of their examples of a couple together turning out to have been a really good example or a really bad example.

Look at Ygritte, just about begging Jon to complete the Wilding way with her? Then again, how thrilled do you think Walder Frey's last wife was, if we could have had a peek into their bedroom, alone?

Differing degrees of wrong is still wrong, all these systems are nuts, I don't see that as a reason to lump one group of people as all rapers, all this, all that, etc. That's how I see it, if I'm to apply modern standards, perhaps I should just hope GRRM drops an atom bomb on Planetos and we can be done with it? :dunno:

As if your first post wasn't offensive enough. .

Okay, so she doesn't have to find true love at age 16. That's fine. And you're bang on, Dany/Daario isn't the endgame so it probably shouldn't be.

Shouldn't be what? Shouldn't happen? she should be saving herself? or did you just forget to finish your sentence?

The thing is, I find it hard to trust, admire or even like someone who goes for guys like that. And sure, it's just a fling... but I again can't view her as ''moral'' when she's doing everything with this one guy without even a hint of romance...

Whoa there, Yo can't trust her, you can't admire her, you can't even like her...what did you think she was a virginal angel saving herself for that one special guy....You. Sure its just a fling, but you can't view her as "moral", what is she then? Immoral? Having a consentual satisfying sexual relationship is...Immoral.

She's doing EVERYTHING with him, OMG stop the press, no one told Dany she has to save herself for that one special guy, and anything past first base is well it will lessen her value on the wife market, doesn't she know that nice girls don't do EVERYTHING, by doing that she's she's what? A slut? a slag? a dirty.... Is she worthless now?

Feel free to disregard this paragraph, but it's basically an add-on to what The Titan's Bastard was saying: My first real crush was this girl who I barely knew, and eventually I found out that she'd been fucking pretty much everyone, and not just conventionally (this is also at age 16). It was pretty horrible, and even though she had every right to do what (and who) she wanted, it was still shocking.

So this girl, who you knew barley, she had consensual sex with several partners non of whom were you? Am I right?And she did things which you personally find "unconventional" We can only guess at what you term unconventional, but I'm picking up that you think nice girls don't participate in sex acts which are outside of your idea of convention. You Poor Poor Thing. You must have felt so let down by this girl, who you barely knew and who was not in a relationship with you. She really owed you man, she owed you her virginity!!!!

You acknowledge she had every right to do what she wanted with whomever she chose to, but still it was "shocking" cos in your head she was a "nice girl" after all a nice guy like you would only be attracted to nice girls, right....The kind of girl who you would be proud to take home to meet your mum. NOT some whore slut who partakes in "unconventional" sex acts!!

So, in a sense (although I never had romantic feelings for Daenerys) Daenerys' story is the same. The girl we grew to love because of her power and morality turns out to be a very different person. Of course, as a person she is entitled to her ''meaningless fun'', but it's still a shock to the system to think of her doing that, when only a few books ago she was this sweet and innocent 12 year old.

So even though you never had romantic feelings for Dany, her story is identical to this girl you once had a crush on, You grew to love her (dany) for her power and morality but it turned out she was not the person you created in your head. Because she certainly seemed to love fucking with Drogo as much as with Daario, she took him out into a public space and rode him HARD. so she was doing voyourism, exhibisionism, and an "unconventional sex posistion" back in AGOT . Maybe your letting the sex back then slide off of your morality meter as she was married? is it the sex outside of wedlock which you feel made her halo slip? What about Irri? so is lesbian sex ok because no penis entered her, is that like when you get butt fucked but it's ok cos you can still tell your future husband your a virgin on your wedding night?

And you admit that as a person (gosh I am pleased we can agree women are people and not some sort of sexual commodity which looses value the more times it is "used") and is entitled to her "meaningless fun" not that I'd call it meaningless by any means, she is pretty god damn taken with him actually. She's besotted perhaps. I'd say that she's quite likely to have feelings for Daario that stay with her for life. Be it that bastard who betrayed her, the guy who made her come like a train all night long, the one who understood she was just a kid who wanted to fuck and laugh and eat and escape the pressure of her situation. Who saw her Dragon? I'm pretty certain that whatever it ends up being there will be meaning to her time with him.

Anyway its still a shock to the system to think of her doing that. doing what? having sex? having sex outside of a marriage, having sex which she finds deeply satisfying (as opposed to say laying there and closing her eyes whilst her husband gets his marital pleasure. Perhaps) Or just having "adventurous sex" Is it the oral sex you find so shocking, the positions? Do you think perhaps they did it anal too. OMG OMG my mind is burning surely she can't have enjoyed all of that, that would make her a slut!!!!!! I can't respect or admire a slut.

Only a few books ago she was this sweet innocent 12 year old girl.

Well, no.

She was 13 I think when we met her, and she was indeed sweet, but not innocent she'd spent her life on the run, she had seen some pretty grubby times, selling her mothers crown etc. But hey whats so appealing about innocence anyway? is that what you personally look for in a lass. who am I kidding its right up there with obedience isn't it.

And that's why we hate Daario

No no I'm quite sure that is why YOU hate Daario.

Yes, that's true, but does it matter? Anyone that gets away with it has nothing to worry about.

Hmmmmmmmm, how much of Westerosi society legally, and even socially, goes along with what Ramsey did to Lady Hornwood. He forcibly married her, forcibly consummated the marriage, and well.......the entire nation seems to see it as, oops, that's legal, yup, Hornwood lands go to the Boltons.

Sounds like extreme forcible rape to me, that's even before the starvation and death, but I don't recall anyone in all of Westeros arguing the illegality of the act.

*snip*

Awesome post.

Hmmmmmmmm, how much of Westerosi society legally, and even socially, goes along with what Ramsey did to Lady Hornwood. He forcibly married her, forcibly consummated the marriage, and well.......the entire nation seems to see it as, oops, that's legal, yup, Hornwood lands go to the Boltons.

Sounds like extreme forcible rape to me, that's even before the starvation and death, but I don't recall anyone in all of Westeros arguing the illegality of the act.

Luwin did. He said that oaths at sword point aren't valid, etc.

Archived