Board Issues 3

Datepalm

After restting my password to that provided in the email I logged in with no difficulty.

I then changed to a new password (not the old one from yesterday) and it has worked fine after logging out and back in again, across several devices.

All seems to be good from my end. :)

This is Cruella, one of a forum members. I also have problem logging in, even though I use correct password. Unfortunately, my email account with yahoo had long expired, because I have no need of it - I only registered for westeros, and usually use @mail.ru account which doesn't work for registration here. So, not sure what to do. I can't reset my password.

I've already lost all my post count in last forum overhaul, it would be very annoying if it were to happen again. Maybe this time I'll get more help from administration.

One of the mod's has made an announcement, which I think you can find at the top of the forum pages. You guys should take a look there. If I'm not wrong if the email id you used to register here is not active anymore, you need to contact said mod.

Repeated the scenario:

• Request new Password
  • Login
  • Attempt to change password

several disassociated errors, my new password doesn't match (I type it several hundred times a day and do not mistype it very often, but it could happen) the login password doesn't match (its still on the frickin clipboard I pasted it in to login, and to try to change), on and on. I think one of them is saying that my key is no good, now, and that does not rotate.

The reset I did changed the salt, whereas your password reset may not have -- so that should explain that. However, if the issue persists, let me know.

Ran I think there's another problem with the board login system. I used to be able to leave my mobile logged to the site and go about by ticking the "remember my password" button. A couple of days ago, I noticed that even when I do that, after I go back to check the forum I am no longer logged in.

Repeated the scenario:

• Request new Password

Login

Attempt to change password

several disassociated errors, my new password doesn't match (I type it several hundred times a day and do not mistype it very often, but it could happen) the login password doesn't match (its still on the frickin clipboard I pasted it in to login, and to try to change), on and on. I think one of them is saying that my key is no good, now, and that does not rotate.

This is still happening to me as well. I can log in by telling the system that I lost my password and having a new one generated (per Ran's instructions) but I get the various error messages when I try to change my password. And as soon as I log out, the new password stops working and I have to tell the site I forgot my password again ....

I'm using Chrome, for the record. I may try Firefox or a mobile browser later to see if that changes anything.

Wouldn't you know it. The day I log out with Waterfox, my main browser, @#!%$^ godaddy.com, which hosts my email for the account that I signed up with on the board, had its server go into a coma. I don't know whether to blame the developers of IP Board for their feature-rich, but reliability deficient software or godaddy.com for its incompetent administration of its IMAP servers, or myself, for not adding the redundancy of having email also forwarded to another mail server, as I do for my personal account, for the Robin Hill account. Thank goodness, I still had IE 11 logged in.

Or, I might wonder, out loud, why the p/w database couldn't have been restored to a point before the problem occurred.

Thanks, Raja, but I for one can't seem to find it, even though I looked at Announcement board.

Here is Ran's announcement:

We believe a software bug has led to all accounts losing the password salt -- part of a two-part decryption process for passwords. This means that those of you currently logged in will remain so until your cookie expires, at which time you will find that trying to log in to fail.

Therefore, it's important for everyone to go ahead and reset their current password. You may need to log out and request that new credentials be mailed to you, but it may be that you'll be able to do it from within the present control panel. Unfortunately, your old password will not work, so your email will need to be up to date.

For those of you who have let your email account that you signed up with lapse, you'll have to mail me after attempting to correct the issue, and I will try to fix it by hand... BUT, be aware that I'm very busy in the near term and it may be awhile before I'll be able to correct the issue. In the interim, if you need to make an alt account, do it, and we'll sort something out when there is time.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Note that following the instructions here seems to work for some of us but not others. I'm sure they'll get it sorted eventually.

Had the same problems. It said yesterday that my usual password was wrong.I reset the password, and used the one send on the mail. I could log in with that, but when I tried to switch back to the old one it didn't work, and I was automatically logged out. Then I couldn't log in with either my usual password or the new one. Today it works like a charm though (I logged in with my usual password.)

Had the same problems. It said yesterday that my usual password was wrong.I reset the password, and used the one send on the mail. I could log in with that, but when I tried to switch back to the old one it didn't work, and I was automatically logged out. Then I couldn't log in with either my usual password or the new one. Today it works like a charm though (I logged in with my usual password.)

I'm really glad you posted this. I just checked and my old password (from before this whole business started yesterday) now works again.

To MtnLion and others experiencing similar issues: Try logging in with your old password.

Archived