New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

Icefyre showing up to help might create some interest in reading liveship, but isn't integral to enjoying fitz's story.

And I stated that. It is just my opinion that Tawny Man is more enjoyable and the small details would make more sense after having read Liveship, not that it wouldn't be enjoyable at all.

I just finished.

It wasn't really what I was expecting, I thought there'd be a lot more in the line of Fitz travelling through Jamaillia etc looking for the Fool, and I was a bit uncertain about where it was going at stages but overall it was pretty good and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book now. Fairly depressing ending though, again.

and ya, this. She's pretty fucking dark at times.

Throw in some solider son and you'll want to eat a bullet.

Yeah... I'll pass on that one. I'm still recovering from Liveship and am about to pick up Tawny man early next month.

What's kind of ironic though is I thought the end of Liveship was a bit too happy for Hobb. Not enough bittersweet, but looking back I think I'm ok w/ that :)

Yeah... I'll pass on that one. I'm still recovering from Liveship and am about to pick up Tawny man early next month.

What's kind of ironic though is I thought the end of Liveship was a bit too happy for Hobb. Not enough bittersweet, but looking back I think I'm ok w/ that :)

You thought Liveships was too happy? Hm, Tawny Man spoilers (no specifics though)

The Tawny Man ending is practically saccrine sweet by comparison

Anyway, I think the reason its probably happier than the first Fitz ending is that there is no continuation of the characters and story in future books, whereas the Fitz books span multiple trilogies. The Liveships works as a standalone, so it needs a bit more of a conclusive ending without being left wonderig what will happen to a broken lonely Fitz

You thought Liveships was too happy? Hm, Tawny Man spoilers (no specifics though)

Anyway, I think the reason its probably happier than the first Fitz ending is that there is no continuation of the characters and story in future books, whereas the Fitz books span multiple trilogies. The Liveships works as a standalone, so it needs a bit more of a conclusive ending without being left wonderig what will happen to a broken lonely Fitz

I dunno. I think the way the Fool leaves Fitz is depressing as fuck.

I thought the end of the first trilogy was just perfect. For me, the entire world could have ended there and I would have been fine with it. One of the best endings I've read.

The most tragic part of the book, for me is that

Molly and Fitz don't get to share their little Bee. She is Molly's child, and then she is Fitz's but not together.

The things that have me curious/concerned:

It almost seemed like a Skill suggestion used on Bee at the end. Don't make her turn on Fitz! I also don't want her to be scared and force her captors to abuse her, so I am hoping Wolf-Daddy can break through and help her.

I want to look at her Dreams again. The main one I am thinking of that wasn't resolved was the one with snakes pulling boats. I haven't read the Rain Wild Chronicles yet, but I may have to. That sounds an awful lot like the serpents that followed the ships in Liveship.

I was fearful that the Fool was the beggar. I knew he was significant when he was first mentioned, and I hoped it wasn't him but I don't konw why I even made the connection in the first place. He fate is heartbreaking, but now there is hope and they are together again. Fitz is going to go full on berserker assassin and I am looking forward to it.

Also I've seen people mentioning that there was very little Wit spoken of in this book - it was there, just not central and I think it's going to play a larger part. Bee made her connection with the cat and something is connecting with Wolf-Daddy. Also, I kind of think that Fitz will bond again. The mention of um ... the Wit master and his gull and their conversation makes me think so, otherwise their conversation is rather pointless. You can have them talk of other things if his only point was to point out that the hunters can avoid the Wit sense. I also think that after losing Molly, it opens him up to letting someone else enter his heart again. Plus it would be good for him to have another ally in his new mission

The most tragic part of the book, for me is that

Molly and Fitz don't get to share their little Bee. She is Molly's child, and then she is Fitz's but not together.

The things that have me curious/concerned:

It almost seemed like a Skill suggestion used on Bee at the end. Don't make her turn on Fitz! I also don't want her to be scared and force her captors to abuse her, so I am hoping Wolf-Daddy can break through and help her.

I want to look at her Dreams again. The main one I am thinking of that wasn't resolved was the one with snakes pulling boats. I haven't read the Rain Wild Chronicles yet, but I may have to. That sounds an awful lot like the serpents that followed the ships in Liveship.

I was fearful that the Fool was the beggar. I knew he was significant when he was first mentioned, and I hoped it wasn't him but I don't konw why I even made the connection in the first place. He fate is heartbreaking, but now there is hope and they are together again. Fitz is going to go full on berserker assassin and I am looking forward to it.

Also I've seen people mentioning that there was very little Wit spoken of in this book - it was there, just not central and I think it's going to play a larger part. Bee made her connection with the cat and something is connecting with Wolf-Daddy. Also, I kind of think that Fitz will bond again. The mention of um ... the Wit master and his gull and their conversation makes me think so, otherwise their conversation is rather pointless. You can have them talk of other things if his only point was to point out that the hunters can avoid the Wit sense. I also think that after losing Molly, it opens him up to letting someone else enter his heart again. Plus it would be good for him to have another ally in his new mission

On the Wit:

Maybe it's acceptance has caused it to be a background issue?

Everyone has their opinions etc. For me personally, The Fitz Books are my favorite works of fiction of any kind I have ever read. The characters, the detail, the development is so concise and revealing. Even though very little happens for 400 pages, I greatly enjoyed the new book. (Because , really, a lot happens in their little quiet lives, and then the last 150 pages....wow.

As someone mentioned, I could enjoy reading about Fitz and The Fool going grocery shopping too. Now, the new POV is quite absorbing.

I just can't say enough how much I've looked forward to this book for months and years really. To think I started reading Assassins Apprentice a dozen times 5 or so years ago and kept putting it down because The names "Prince Chivalry" and "Prince Regal" etc. Seemed just childish and so "Young adult".

I finally plowed through 80 pages or so and I was hooked, I blew through The Assassins Trilogy, Jumped to Fools Fate and that Trilogy, Then wanted more and read The Liveship Traders.

Probably in about 6 weeks Time. Very nice to be able to read them all without waiting.

I did read the 4 Rain Wild books and thought they were well written and enjoyed them also

If you haven't read the books related to this world Robin Hobb has created, You are missing out.

To put my tastes in Perspective, Fantasy wise, I really enjoyed Peter Brett, Daniel Abraham, Brent Weeks, and Of course GRRM. The reason I'm here is because ASOIF got me back to reading heavily about 5 years ago. Obviously I Love ASOIF but I would put this series right on par with ASOIF, completely different, But these books hooked me hard, and I do not have to wait 6 years for the next book either !!!! Woo Hoo

To think I started reading Assassins Apprentice a dozen times 5 or so years ago and kept putting it down because The names "Prince Chivalry" and "Prince Regal" etc. Seemed just childish and so "Young adult".

Ugh - I can't get my brother to read these for the same reason. We usually trust each other's taste in books, but this one he put down early and refuses to go back to all because of the names. :bang:

It has been a few days since I finished it now. While I was reading it, it annoyed me a lot that it didn't seem to me as though there was any action. But I still couldn't put it down. Normally I only read just before I go to sleep, but I suddenly found myself dedicating hours each evening to reading. Even though I didn't think there was any action :rolleyes: Well - apparently the action during the first 400 or so pages was much more subtle. I thought it was great. When I read the other Fitz books, I began reading completed trilogies. Now I bloody well have to wait forever to finish this trilogy. Drives me nuts.

Ugh - I can't get my brother to read these for the same reason. We usually trust each other's taste in books, but this one he put down early and refuses to go back to all because of the names. :bang:

They explain why their names are like that. What a nit-picky reason to not read a good book. :dunno:

They explain why their names are like that. What a nit-picky reason to not read a good book. :dunno:

Agreed. That's a fucking idiotic reason to not read such a phenomenal work of fiction. Especially when the naming conventions actually have meaning.

If you can give me a persuasive reason to convince him, I'm all ears. He read the explanation, he just really, really hated it and says it pulled him out of the story. At this point, I think he's just being stubborn about it to be stubborn. This is a conversation that's been ongoing for years at this point.

Archived