US Politics: the eternal Teahad

DanteGabriel

Republicans now viewed favorably by 28% of Americans.

[T]he Republican Party is now viewed favorably by 28% of Americans, down from 38% in September. This is the lowest favorable rating measured for either party since Gallup began asking this question in 1992.

This is Gallup we're talking about here, so take it for what it's worth. Still, that's pretty poor.

Jonathan Chait with a new article on the 8 most plausible ways out of the debt ceiling crisis. I fully support number 8 as the path forward, despite the identified problem with it.

right... actually no surprise there, with the state of the nation today actual news are quite difficult to discern from the Onion articles

capitol shut down, salmonella outbreak, nobelauriates furloughed as 'not necessary', two-tier voting system proposed, decades of gerrymandering biting us in the ass, hard!

oh yeah, but FBI is apprently working, because the founder of SilkRoad has been busted...

we are crazier than a backback full of halluciongens mailed to Burning Man

Republicans now viewed favorably by 28% of Americans.

This is Gallup we're talking about here, so take it for what it's worth. Still, that's pretty poor.

Since it's Gallup, they're probably gifting the GOP a few percentage points there. Still, that's about the approval level that Bush the Lesser had when he slunk out of office. And I think it'll keep dropping.

right... actually no surprise there, with the state of the nation today actual news are quite difficult to discern from the Onion articles

Well, if you already think the news sounds like it came from the Onion, you'll love this one...

Cox, 45, a chain saw sculptor from Mount Pleasant, S.C., grabbed the attention of shutdown-weary Washington Wednesday when he showed up with all his gear and was reportedly spotted mowing the lawn at the Lincoln Memorial.

He said the police chased him away, but it was to late. He said he’s already been tidying up around the memorial and Lincoln Reflecting Pool for the last few days, because nobody else is.

He drew rapid media attention _ social and conventional _ as well as a crowd of bemused foreign tourists as he stood on the plaza of the Lincoln Memorial Wednesday afternoon and declared his purpose.

“I figured out that I could play a...valuable role as a janitor, if you will,” he said. “So I started cleaning up the overflowing trash cans. I bought a blower and I’ve been blowing all of the trails, and today I cut the grass out here.”

Isn't Obama's approval rating hovering somewhere around 38%?

Looks to me no one in the government is very popular.

17 trillion in debt.

When Bush the Horrible left office we were 6 trillion in debt and the Dems were flipping over how deep in debt we were because of "Bush's wars".

Now we have people defending being 17 trillion in debt with some kind of household budget nonsense.

17 trillion in debt.

When Bush the Horrible left office we were 6 trillion in debt and the Dems were flipping over how deep in debt we were because of "Bush's wars".

Now we have people defending being 17 trillion in debt with some kind of household budget nonsense.

You know what's worse than being $17 trillion in debt? When our creditors think we're not going to pay it back.

17 trillion in debt.

38% is the low point the average is 44% (per Gallop) which isn't that much better.

As for the debt it always irked me that the amount of debt in which Bush the Lesser left office does not take into account the spending in Iraq and Afghanistan. Obama was the one who began to include the cost of the wars to the debt.

17 trillion in debt.

I wonder if Bush's tax cuts had anything to do with that, or the wars he started that Obama inherited...

No. Right now his average approval rating is around 45%, and that's with an outlier poll at 37% factored into the averaging.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/10/09/the_shutdown_is_boosting_barack_obama_s_poll_numbers_and_republicans_don.html

It's true that no one is coming out of this smelling like roses, but 28% is a pretty shocking number. It's always seemed to me that the (modern) Republicans have a hard floor of about 25 to 30 percent approval, so, if these new numbers can be believed, they're down to their true believers. I realize one poll does not end the discussion, but you go to war with the polls you have, not the ones you might want.

Since it's Gallup, they're probably gifting the GOP a few percentage points there. Still, that's about the approval level that Bush the Lesser had when he slunk out of office. And I think it'll keep dropping.

I agree, I don't think they've hit rock bottom yet. They've got to be close, though.

When George W Bush left office the national debt actually stood at $10,626,877,048,913.08, forgetting the eight cents seems reasonable enough but misunderestimating by $4.6 trillion appears a tad excessive.

Yeah, debt was at 10.6 trillion, deficit over 1 trillion when Bush left. 5 years on, current debt at 16.7 trillion, so things have stayed relatively stable. In fact, 2013 Q2 deficit was under 100 billion, a years-long low. Not that the shutdown's going to help with that much, but oh well.

This made me laugh out loud

“What do you have a higher opinion of, Congress or witches? Congress, 32 percent; witches, 46 percent,” he said. “What do you have a higher opinion of, Congress or hemorrhoids? Congress, 31 percent; hemorrhoids, 53 percent. What do you have a higher opinion of, Congress or dog poop? Congress 40 percent; dog poop 47 percent.”

I wonder if Bush's tax cuts had anything to do with that, or the wars he started that Obama inherited...

Also that whole largest economic collapse since the Great Depression that occurred in the very last months of his presidency.

It's true that no one is coming out of this smelling like roses, but 28% is a pretty shocking number. It's always seemed to me that the (modern) Republicans have a hard floor of about 25 to 30 percent approval, so, if these new numbers can be believed, they're down to their true believers. I realize one poll does not end the discussion, but you go to war with the polls you have, not the ones you might want.

I agree, I don't think they've hit rock bottom yet. They've got to be close, though.

They are 1% away from rock bottom.

The crazification factor at 27% defines the nadir of possible approval.

Archived