Will Bravos be pro or anti Dany?

Dave17

I think that Martin has kind of implied that for the most part, they are pretty anti-Dany, but there could be some sort of surprise. Hard to say if he is just trying to trick us or not, but I think it is most likely that they will be opposed to any new targaryen, even if they are antislavery.

Well' there is the anti-Targ thing. Is there any evidence that the Targs borrowed money from the Iron Bank? Or that Braavos and the 7K found themselves on opposite sides of any conflicts during the Targ dynasty?

But I'm thinking of the Red Priests attacking the Black Goat of Qohor and of the Blac Goat of Qohor being the God of Many Faces and of the God of Many Faces basically being the god of death and of the Red Priest traveling to assist Dany. And I'm thinking Moqorro might be intending to use Dany to fight the Great Other/Stranger/Black Goat/God of Many Faces. I'm also wondering if Moqorro was at Khal Drogo's mance for the Dany-Drogo betrothal feast and if so why...

I'm also wondering if Moqorro was at Khal Drogo's mance for the Dany-Drogo betrothal feast and if so why...

yeah this is really interesting...

Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio

If it is Moqorro, given his amazing power looking into the flames, I'm wondering if he already knew the dragons would be born.

yeah this is really interesting...

If it is Moqorro, given his amazing power looking into the flames, I'm wondering if he already knew the dragons would be born.

Well Moqorro and Bennero certainly knew of the prophesy. But if they knew of Dany and her dragons why did they wait til after she sacked Meereen to go to her? Did they wiff on it or did they foresee her coming to Pentos (perhaps a misread vision if she arrives later and gives it to Tatters). And they know of Aegon and the coming Dance: old and young, true and false, light and dark.

Dany has not entered this war, why would there be evidence of the IB backing a non existent cause.

There are multiple sides they could back already. But alas, they distinctly abandoned one side to seek out another. There is no proof or reason to think the Iron Bank would play multiple sides against each other for profit. People are just making this stuff up.

There are multiple sides they could back already. But alas, they distinctly abandoned one side to seek out another. There is no proof or reason to think the Iron Bank would play multiple sides against each other for profit. People are just making this stuff up.

Of course people are "making this stuff up"

This entire premise of this thread is on something that is made up. Dany isn't in this war, so any comment about if/when she becomes involved will have to be made up.

I belive the will be pro-Dany

valirya is destroyed for a long time, it simplye doesent matter.

Braavos is anti-slavery, but it has no allies in Essos to support it. Not even Pentos.

The sea lord of Braavos allowend Dany and Viserys to take refuge in his city when it was most dangerous to do it.

Besides that, the sea lord witenessed the scret pact beteween Dorne and house Darry.

Even if there is a new Sea lord of Braavos (which is likely) it is probable many people who holds power in Braavos knows about these deals.

valirya is destroyed for a long time, it simplye doesent matter.

Braavos is anti-slavery, but it has no allies in Essos to support it. Not even Pentos.

Braavos isn't described as being friendless

The sea lord of Braavos allowend Dany and Viserys to take refuge in his city when it was most dangerous to do it.

Besides that, the sea lord witenessed the scret pact beteween Dorne and house Darry..

The dragons weren't born yet, and Dany and Viserys were with Willem Darry and a few sworn swords, no threat to Braavos at all. There was no pact between House Martell and House Darry, Willem Darry was just acting as the guardian for the Taragryens in signing the pact. This was all before the dragons were brought back, and the only known Targaryens were two children.

Dragons will change things when combined with the rumours the Yunkai'i have been spreading about Dany.

This is a good question. For one thing we don't know how Braavos is run so it's hard to say whether they will have a unified reaction or we'll see different factions in Braavos adopting different attitudes.

I suspect much of their attitude will depend not on her positions about slavery or her dragons, but on their bottom line. Dany is a distabilising factor and is hurting trade. She's been doing and is being set up to do more damage to their rivals, howeverer, so they might see it as an opportunity. If the chaos gets too far out of hand, though...

In any case, I think the whole west is being set up to be anti Dany. You have the Iron Bank in Braavos which represents the ruling elite of that city already backing Stannis. And then the promise to deliver Pentos to the Tattered Prince, which will turn the elite of the other cities against her. Only the slaves in some of these cities will support her, but the elite will all hate her. Which would make for a bloodbath, really. And after that massacre, the common folk of Westeros are not going to welcome a foreign invading army. Not after so much war already, anyhow.

I think this is what will weigh more than anything. If Dany comes west taking over Free Cities and destroying the status quo, the Braavosi will inevitably worry they will be next. Even if she doesn't move directly against them the creation of an empire in Essos marginalizes them and puts a hamper on their power and significance and presents a threat to their indpendence. This combined with the level of military threat her dragon(s) present will force them to move against her.

The little bit of Essosi history we saw in Tyrion's POV might hold a clue as to their reaction to Dany. When Volantis demostrated clear imperialist tendecies they moved against them, but not directly, but rather by arming Volntene opponents.

At least one Braavosi faction has made its intentions clear. The Iron Bank will hold whoever ends up on the Iron Throne responsible for the debt.

You guys are forgetting the most important variable in this equation: the Others. Already word is reaching Braavos taverns about strange things from up north. I guess the IB and FM would've better grip of the situation. My guess is the IB are helping Jon cause he's going to need all the help he can get. I also figure that Jaqen is at the Citadel for dragon info, because dragon fire might just about be the only weapon against the Others. Also, taking the theology of The House of Black and White on face value, these guys "worship" the god of death, and nothing defies the god of death more than wights and the Others. Adding up all this, Braavos will be pro Dany because they need her dragons to fight the Others.

• 1 year later...

My thought was that if, and this is a big if, Dany ever takes the Iron Throne, she'll probably piss off Essos a lot along the way. Dany will probably sack Volantis, it is the closest of the Free Cities to Meereen and she will want to free all those slaves. She may also sack Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh, the other Free Cities known for their slavery. If she doesn't win over Braavos, after all those cities recover they'll frick Westeros over in the middle of the second Long Night.

Braavos will remain neutral in Dany's fight in Esos but they would be foolish not to keep an eye on her.

She literally has no beef with Braavos and they are not involved in the slave trade, Braavossi on the other hand still hates and fears Dragons but i don't think they would actively seek out a conflict with her.

The Iron Bank is more likely to help fund her invasion of Westeros to reclaim their lent gold if the Small Council doesn't get their heads out of their collective asses.

Pro, I think. They opened up to the world even during the Valyrian Freehold's lifetime, and weren't particularly anti-Valyrian; they did trade, but forbade slavers. More than being anti-dragon, the Braavosi are anti-slavery; they fought wars with Pentos where part of the goal and result was the end of slavery. Daenerys is vehemently anti-slavery and currently has most of the slaving powers west of the Bones gathering against her. She's an underdog with a cause they see as good and just and a vital part of their history, so they'll likely support her.

The Iron Bank is more flexible than people think. They support people who try and take the Iron Throne so that institution can resume paying its debts to them. They've granted a loan already to Stannis in the hopes that he'll take the throne and pay the debts, and they'll want to hedge their bets by supporting Danny too; have two contenders beholden to them.

Well' there is the anti-Targ thing. Is there any evidence that the Targs borrowed money from the Iron Bank?

King Jaeherys II borrowed money from the IB for his campaign against the Ninepenny Kings. Tywin later payed the debt back with Lannister gold.

I think the Iron Bank could find an accord with Dany, after all they lent money to her grandfather. Especially if Stannis dies before the Dany-Braavos storyline mingles. They are primarily a bank, banks are usually pragmatic.

The old Sealord is maybe the same guy that stood witness to the Dorne-Targaryen alliance, it will be important to know if the new one follows this example, or if he changes it into a more anti-dragon policy.

The Faceless Men will be anti-daenerys in my opinion. They seem to search knowledge about dragons for a reason after all.

I also think that a lot of the Braavosi will like her, because she abolished the slave trade in Meereen.

Archived