Makeup 4: Makeup Shotgun Edition

Xray the Enforcer

I've been wanting to try Naked 3, the colors are really pretty in the box, but I worry that it would bring out the redness in my skin. I'm blonde, green eyes, fair/medium skin. Anyone have advise on this? Also, are the colors too heavy for summer?

I am super pale, have blue eyes and dark brown hair. There is such a wide range of shades that I think there are workable colors for everyone. Elder Sister is right, they are rosy but not red. Some have no rosiness at all. Cool toned, and definitely workable for summer. You can create everything from a natural look to a dark smokey eye. I find it to be a super versatile palette.

I had a photo shoot a couple of weeks ago where they did my make up and everything for me. Thanks to Theda's photos of awesome cat eyes I wanted something cool enough to ask for smokey dramatic eyes. Was really happy with how it looked but even if I knew what to do my hands aren't steady enough and I don't have the patience to reproduce it. Will post one of the photos when I get them.

I'm another super pale, blue eye, dark hair girl.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. That's a fantastic color.

I've stopped amassing makeup and have started amassing stinkwasser.

Just got a shipment from Perfumed Court that featured all kinds of funk -- yes, all perfumes based on animalic notes. Molecule 01, Molecule 02, and Cumming The Fragrance.

Molecule 01 and Molecule 02 are perfumes made of exactly one scent molecule. 01 = Iso E Super (synthetic ketone), 02 = ambroxan, a component of ambergris.

Cumming has a lot going on: truffles and Douglas fir and cigars and leather and god knows what else. It's a filthy (in the best possible way) scent.

Of them, I think my preference is Cumming --> Molecule 02 --> Molecule 01. But they're all interesting.

I also got Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist. Wow. That is a hell of a perfume. Like, the most iris perfume + wet earth + moss I've ever smelled. Gonna enjoy exploring this one a lot.

And I just ordered some samples from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Once those arrive, I'll comment upon those.

I am avowed Guerlain fangirl. Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar... Gods, I love that perfume house.

Me too. I adore Vol D' Nuit but it doesn't last on me.

I am working on this. Haven't perfected it. Maybe, I never will. But it's a dream I have. :)

Heh. Lately I've gone back to my '60s ways and have been sporting a somewhat dialed-down version of the cat eye.

Practice, practice, practice, sez I. And what kind of liner are you using? I swear by Almay liquid liner. The brush is just the right size and length. I've tried pencils, but they can kiss my ass. I don't need any eye-tugging at this stage of my life.

I saw a photo recently where the model had a cat-eye upper lid and an underlined undereye, but only the inner half. Am thinking of trying it out to see what it looks like in person.

Survey: when you do eyeliner on the bottom, do you put it inside or outside the lashes?

I love perfume and don't get nearly enough excuses to wear it. Xray, I got a sample of Chanel's Bois des Isles from the Perfumed Court which was hot and heavy in a good way. :leer: A friend sent me a sample of Hermes' Jardin sur le toit which is lovely and more airy. I also love Lancome's Poeme. ;)

Sometimes I do a thin, somewhat smudged line of kohl outside the lashes, as it gives a softer look. I prefer this - or eyeliner just on the top, both inside and out the lashes - to eyeliner inside. I don't like a thin line inside the lashes on me, and a heavier line doesn't look great either.

Archived