X-Men Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

This rumour is floating around about Singer not directing the apocalypse movie. Logistically, it does make sense with the allegations surrounding Singer possibly resulting in a court case. It would be a shame if, after going to so much trouble to undo the mess of X3, Fox hires another hack to direct the next x-film. I'd hope Fox would have the sense to go for a director Singer has shortlisted as there's more chance it will stick to his vision then. Ideally, the allegations fall away before they get near production.

This rumour is floating around about Singer not directing the apocalypse movie. Logistically, it does make sense with the allegations surrounding Singer possibly resulting in a court case. It would be a shame if, after going to so much trouble to undo the mess of X3, Fox hires another hack to direct the next x-film. I'd hope Fox would have the sense to go for a director Singer has shortlisted as there's more chance it will stick to his vision then. Ideally, the allegations fall away before they get near production.

Perhaps back to Vaughn?

Perhaps back to Vaughn?

I'd be happy with that but I get the impression Vaughn is more interested making films for Mark Millar or where he has more control. Mark Millar is the X-men/FF guru for Fox though so maybe.

I can imagine the pitchforks if they got Brett Ratner back,

Wasn't the director of kick-ass 2 supposed to be doing an X-force film? Maybe he'd fit as the X-force film seems to be shelved. Not that Kick ass 2 was amazing but it was at least competent.

I'd be happy with that but I get the impression Vaughn is more interested making films for Mark Millar or where he has more control. Mark Millar is the X-men/FF guru for Fox though so maybe.

I can imagine the pitchforks if they got Brett Ratner back,

Wasn't the director of kick-ass 2 supposed to be doing an X-force film? Maybe he'd fit as the X-force film seems to be shelved. Not that Kick ass 2 was amazing but it was at least competent.

There is no way they are stupid enough to get Ratner back...........right?

Vaughn was still involved in the story process for DOFP, wasn't he? After Singer took his role as the director.

Yeah, Vaughn helped with the story.

His schedule would have to be open though and I'm really not sure if he want's to work on another film with a tight schedule. It'd be great if they could convince him back. Much more likely if "secret service" is a flop - the comic wasn't great but he made Kick-ass rise above the source material as well,

His schedule would have to be open though and I'm really not sure if he want's to work on another film with a tight schedule. It'd be great if they could convince him back. Much more likely if "secret service" is a flop - the comic wasn't great but he made Kick-ass rise above the source material as well,

Yeah, I loved the 1st one.

Watched it again a couple days ago. Actually enjoyed it more than on first viewing. Had time to notice and appreciate a things that flew past me the first time.

In the first battle scene a Sentinel comes under fire blast attack as it faces off against Sunspot. Not far off another Sentinal is under freeze assault from Iceman. Destruction of both Sentinels seems imminent, but then they learn their opponent's powers and share the information between them. Sunspot gets overcome when the Sentinel he's battling employs Iceman's powers and Bobby is beaten when his Sentinel augments Sunspots powers. Very cool. Though I wonder, they could just as easily have mirrored their opponent's powers and returned it with interest - like the Sentinel battling with Colossus did.

Also, at the end Wolverine is actually giving Scott the finger! Need more Logan/Scott interactions in these filems.

Oh and I thought the Apocalypse preview was poorly done.

As far as I'm aware. Vaughn voluntarily dropped Days of Future Past because he wasn't interested in the project, so they got Singer to direct instead. I'd love to see him back in the director's seat for Apocalypse, but I have a hard time imagining that it will happen, if he's that disinterested in the franchise.

As far as I'm aware. Vaughn voluntarily dropped Days of Future Past because he wasn't interested in the project, so they got Singer to direct instead. I'd love to see him back in the director's seat for Apocalypse, but I have a hard time imagining that it will happen, if he's that disinterested in the franchise.

I doubt that's the case, he was involved with DoFP as he helped write the story.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this so far in the thread. To me although the incident at the end of the film showed mutants capable of being a threat, on top of showing that others will oppose them it also completely undermined the effectiveness of the sentinels. Their first outing, with a massive press conference no less, they were subverted and fought on the other side showing they weren't a weapon you could put trust in and were a huge embarrassment to Nixon.

The ideal outcome actually would have been for Magneto to just have them go nuts on their own then fly off with no sign off any mutant involvement... But he wants that fight.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this so far in the thread. To me although the incident at the end of the film showed mutants capable of being a threat, on top of showing that others will oppose them it also completely undermined the effectiveness of the sentinels. Their first outing, with a massive press conference no less, they were subverted and fought on the other side showing they weren't a weapon you could put trust in and were a huge embarrassment to Nixon.

The ideal outcome actually would have been for Magneto to just have them go nuts on their own then fly off with no sign off any mutant involvement... But he wants that fight.

I thought this movie had a few problems. Magneto's actions being one of the larger points. Him willing to kill the White House staff in front of everyone, didn't make a lot of sense. Him attempting to kill Mystique in France was even more mind boggling. Just does not add up for someone who is supposed to be a competent villain and leader.

My biggest problem was the Sentinels though. The future ones were a little too all-powerful and I never got the dreaded sense of doom ala the Terminator. The past sentinels were the most disappointing though. They barely did anything (and Magneto controlling their circuitry seems to me to be a stretch of his powers). I felt like they were wasted as we're probably not going to get another movie with them for quite some time. The animated series did it, along with the X-men team and storylines, better.

I doubt that's the case, he was involved with DoFP as he helped write the story.

Yes but after that, he dropped the film and said "Meh, I'm bored." He was supposed to direct and he flat out didn't want to.

I can't see inside his head but that's a very bad sign. Perhaps there was something unique about DOFP that disinterested him. Or perhaps he's just not interested in repeating himself, and First Class has satiated his desire to direct X-Men films. We'll have to wait and see to what extent he's involved in the future.

I definitely foresee the sentinel program being shut down after this mayhap. And Nixon himself, for however longer he'll stay in office, would presumably be pro-mutant. So that should forestall the genocide for at least a small time. But I also think the massive media exposure of the incident would probably make people 100 times more anti-mutant. Who knows though, maybe people are better than I think and a mutant saving the president helps a lot of people realize mutants aren't all bad.

'Course, Nixon would have been the second president assassinated by Erik Lensherr, as far as the Gov't is concerned. If killing one president isn't enough to convince them of the mutant threat, what is? Unless of course, the government themselves assassinated JFK. I do hope they explore this a little further since there're still some questions here.

I thought this movie had a few problems. Magneto's actions being one of the larger points. Him willing to kill the White House staff in front of everyone, didn't make a lot of sense. Him attempting to kill Mystique in France was even more mind boggling. Just does not add up for someone who is supposed to be a competent villain and leader.

I felt that same way on my first viewing, but upon further reflection I think it makes sense. Killing Mystique was the one full-proof way to insure that she wouldn't kill Trask and cause the genocidal future. Since we actually see Mystique still trying to kill Trask up until the final moments of the film, Magneto's draconian measure certainly had some logic behind it.

I think Magneto's attack makes relatively decent sense, they just did a very poor job of explaining it in the film. Erik has just found out that the humans really do commit genocide against the humans and the mutants get brutally crushed, easily. That means he has to act immediately and destroy the humans before they get the upper hand. His grand attack on the White House was probably ill-advised: I mean, wouldn't that unite all the humans against mutants? But Magneto's probably operating under the assumption that as things currently are (pre-Sentinels), the mutants could win an all-out war against the humans. And capturing The White House is the perfect media event to make sure he gets the attention of all the mutants in the world and he can recruit a legitimate army.

I thought his decision to kill mystique had less to do with stopping the assassination causing a war and more to do with making sure they couldn't use her DNA. No mystique DNA and the sentinels never get overpowered and he can win the war that is triggered by his own actions.

How was the Apoch reveal poorly done (just curious)?

I was a fan of the scene - more for what it hints at but I could level the fact that it had absolutely no connection to the film we'd just watched as a problem. The Marvel ones are always tenuously linked with the film you've just watched but there was absolutely nothing with this scene. Maybe if the actions of the film had given rise to Apocalypse in the present as the end-teaser it could have worked, As it is we had a scene from ancient egypt (can't recall if the scene had a date attached) where only fans of the comics have a clue.

• 2 months later...

Archived