Video Games: This is (Elite) Dangerous

Werthead

That's pretty cool. I haven't actually read of anyone (besides game reviewers) actually use that function. Does it bother you if there's too many things going on the screen at once?

In terms of screen size, not a problem with a busy screen. But with the stutter and also occasionally the picture breaking up it's a far from seamless experience. Though I think the picture breaking up happened when the WiFi was about to futt out rather than be something that is a problem with normal streaming and the phone's ability to display stuff. I will have to see how it goes with brighter settings.

It's easily playable on mouse+keyboard, as long as you're not planning to go hardcore PvP. For everything else it's reasonable. X-Box controller is doable, but you'll run out of butons fast.

A joystick/HOTAS set-up is by far the best option. I got a very cheap (£30) Thrustmaster T-Flight which is superb and works readily with all the old space sims as well.

Got a thrustmaster too. All i need now is to reinstall the game :/

Got my pc back but windows was reinstalled so having to download everything again. 10 gig plus just for swtor :(

I meant to buy Elite: Dangerous, or possibly Far Cry 4, today. But I got distracted by the Steam holiday sale. Right now everything on my wishlist is on sale, but I got to have some restraint. When the daily deals start popping up though, that gets hard. I picked up Borderlands PreSequel, AC: Black Flag, Europa Universalis IV, and Rage for a combined $54; most of which was the Borderlands game, which on its own is usually still a $60 game (and one I wanted to get anyway, so the rest is just bonus).

Wolf Among Us worth trying out if I enjoyed both seasons of Walking Dead?

The story has less impactful choices overall, but it's also less bleak and the characters and setting are interesting.

Dem Steam sales are assaulting my wallet, but after buying Titanfall I'm staying (relatively) strong! I still brought the Freedom Cry DLC for AssCreed Black Flag to play some time, as well as Rise of Nations.

Titanfall is so far really fun. It's very fast-paced ala Call of Duty but the wall-running and the Titans bring a very fun dimension to the gameplay. The shotgun and smart pistol do seem a bit overpowered however, and the Grunt AI enemies are basically strictly here to get killed. It does help to give the 6v6 battles a sense of scale. The ''campaign'' is terrible however, just multiplayer maps with tepid voice-overs.

Rise of Nations, I have no idea why I didn't play this before. It seems like a terrific RTS. Basically Age of Empires, spanning the entirety of human history and well.. better? I didn't play much so far but it seems very promising. The game has also stood the test of time, even to this day it doesn't look awful at all.

Just picked up Valkyria Chronicles and The Banner Saga. Which would people recommend I play first?

I haven't played The Banner Saga, but its my understanding that its not too long a game. I am currently playing Valkyria Chronicles though, and, by contrast, it is a very long game. So it probably makes sense to go with The Banner Saga first, get it out of the way before tackling Valkyria.

Yes it is. Mass Effect 2 is a sensational game with or without DLC you philistine.

Agreed. The combat is an upgrade and supporting character arcs are phenomenal; plus they serve a purpose.

does it include all the dlcs? not worth it if its just the base game by itself

It's $5... Don't be frugal.

Yes it is. Mass Effect 2 is a sensational game with or without DLC you philistine.

well excuse me for wanting to get the full package of a game rather than be nickle-and-dimed for every little morsel of content separately

It's $5... Don't be frugal.

5 bucks for the base game, but then how much extra for all the dlcs? i need to take this into account because i need to decide how much money i can allocate for all the other games i intend to buy during the steamsales.

Mass Effect 2 on Steam for $5 for another four hours. Best game of the series IMO. Totally worth $5.

I'd say ME3 is the best (story and combat wise) but you need to suffer that terrible ending so it's a bit of a toss-up. The characters and world in ME2 are second to none however (Omega is the best location in the series).

well excuse me for wanting to get the full package of a game rather than be nickle-and-dimed for every little morsel of content separately

5 bucks for the base game, but then how much extra for all the dlcs? i need to take this into account because i need to decide how much money i can allocate for all the other games i intend to buy during the steamsales.

me2's dlc is hardly necessary. The game is fully complete at baseline and the mist plot-important dlc (arrival) is also the worst, so feel free to skip it.

I finished Ground Zeroes last night. After 3 or so hours of playing and doing my best to pull a no-kill playthrough, I finished with just an A rank. And I only have 14 % completion, so I guess that means I can milk a lot of replay value out of this. I really liked the story too, even though I had very little prior knowledge about the characters and their relationships. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to The Phantom Pain, but I really need to get my hands on MGS 1 & 2 first. They're not on Steam, sadly.

About the sale: If you like painting maps and roleplaying as countries, you should definitely go for the -75 % offer for Europa Universalis IV. It's easily the most approachable Paradox game, with a decent tutorial (which is a first for Paradox).

About the sale: If you like painting maps and roleplaying as countries, you should definitely go for the -75 % offer for Europa Universalis IV. It's easily the most approachable Paradox game, with a decent tutorial (which is a first for Paradox).

I'd personally go with Crusader Kings as the easiest to get into but EUIV is still leagues ahead of Victoria and Hearts of Iron for ease

I'd personally go with Crusader Kings as the easiest to get into but EUIV is still leagues ahead of Victoria and Hearts of Iron for ease

I dunno, I think it's easier to get the grasp of the the monarch points system in EU IV than the whole realm/family micro-management in Crusader Kings. That could be because of the tutorial campaign, though. Spain is arguably the easiest nation for new players, and the tutorial puts you in a position good enough that it doesn't even matter if you screw something up, it's just there to help you get the basic concepts of the game. After playing Spain for a while, you can jump into pretty much anything else you want.

I can't even finish the tutorials for Victoria and Hearts of Iron, it feels like I have ADD. I think EU IV's arcady-ness has rotted my brain.

Archived