UK Politics: You Didn't See That Coming

mormont

Did Farage actually give a resignation speech? I've heard he's resigned but I haven't seen it on the news

He's gone. But hasn't ruled himself out of standing in the leadership contest in September. I suspect he'd get his job back if he wanted it.

I am trying to compare this to the US Electoral College system. And it seems to me that while both have a separation between the popular and "Electoral College" vote, the difference is that in the US this difference is calculated on a State level, while in the UK it is effectively on a "County" level, to use the US terminology.

And also, the US has fewer parties, thus limiting the impact of this system on the ultimate result.

You've got it backwards, the impact isn't limited by fewer parties, the impact is fewer parties. The EC/Presidential system pushes the US to fewer parties because voters sort themselves into two massive blocks, which is the only way their side of the left-right divide could ever capture the Presidency. FPTP Parliamentary systems also push voters toward fewer parties, but less so because it's far more plausible for a third party to get some share of power. The Presidency in the US, though, is so powerful that there's little point to third parties tying to get some share of legislative branch power when they'll be locked out of Presdential power for sure- so their political aims and ambitions end up channeled through one of the two main parties. It's every bit as unfair and undemocratic as the UK's system, really more so, in fact.

Why did people vote tory? How about because it was labour and their massive overspending that dragged us into the shit in the first place?

Tell me again how Labour caused the GLOBAL financial crisis. The Tories would have made it worse by deregulating the banks further. Labour have admitted they didn't go far enough in regulating the banks. Has all this fallen on deaf ears? Tory spin at its finest: repeat a fallacy as much as possible, as long as possible, and the public believe it.

Even the IMF think this level of austerity and cuts is too much.

I'm flabbergasted that people have bought this Tory bullshit.

He's gone. But hasn't ruled himself out of standing in the leadership contest in September. I suspect he'd get his job back if he wanted it.

Yeah, he made a short speech a few hours ago and said he was resigning, but he may run for the leadership again!

Just caught up on le BBC thanks :)

Yeah I think if thats the case and he's said he might run for leadership again, there's a good chance will. However, I'm not sure if its clear-cut that he will necessarily win. I think he may have competition. And, Douglas Carswell has won twice now. Not that I'm saying that he will run. I don't know, but I'm not sure if its clear-cut.

Just caught up on le BBC thanks :)

Yeah I think if thats the case and he's said he might run for leadership again, there's a good chance will. However, I'm not sure if its clear-cut that he will necessarily win. I think he may have competition. And, Douglas Carswell has won twice now. Not that I'm saying that he will run. I don't know, but I'm not sure if its clear-cut.

I genuinely can't imagine UKIP replacing Farage with Carswell. That seems like it would be suicidal to me.

not sure why Farage pledged to resign to begin with

he led his party to a massive increase in vote share and got a promise of a referendum

hardly a failure

All true. I think he made that promise when he thought UKIP would win 10 or so seats. In those circumstances him not having a seat would be odd. Now it doesn't really matter.

I genuinely can't imagine UKIP replacing Farage with Carswell. That seems like it would be suicidal to me.

All true. I think he made that promise when he thought UKIP would win 10 or so seats. In those circumstances him not having a seat would be odd. Now it doesn't really matter.

No, I didn't mean literally him. I just think he may have some competition.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching the both of them lose.

And Labour lose in the Gower. Not least due to the fact that the constituency is one of the most blatant examples of gerrymandering in favour of Labour in Wales.

109 years of continous Labour representation comes to an end.

Who is a UK left winger to vote for these days? Neither Labour nor the Lib Dems is really properly left anymore, right? And the other big national vote getters are the Tories and the out-and-out racists. Is a protest vote for the Greens the best you can do? I am not a close follower of UK politics; Google suggests that Plaid Cymru and even Sinn Féin did better than the Greens.

FPTP really isn't a good way of running things, but for lower house I prefer preferential voting to proportional representation, I favour the latter for the upper house though as I think having the two provides good balance. Unfortunately given its the house of lords in the UK that solution doesn't work there though, so it would need to be one or the other. Proportional across the whole country would be nuts though, would need to be broken down into areas the size of 5-10 seats and then the proportional vote doles out that many seats.

Doing it just across the entire UK would completely screw over Scotland, NI and Wales, not to mention anywhere else with specific regional concerns. Im not sure if people try to propose it as this or smaller areas.

Who is a UK left winger to vote for these days? Neither Labour nor the Lib Dems is really properly left anymore, right? And the other big national vote getters are the Tories and the out-and-out racists. Is a protest vote for the Greens the best you can do? I am not a close follower of UK politics; Google suggests that Plaid Cymru and even Sinn Féin did better than the Greens.

They did and they didn't. That's the geographic thing coming into play again: SF got 4 MPs but 176,000 votes, while the Greens (and Scottish Greens) combined got 1.2m votes but one seat.

Of course, in Scotland many of the left wingers voted SNP, and in Wales, some voted Plaid Cymru.

Archived