MMA & Boxing (v16)- Get it together, man.

Ramsay B.

Pretty good card yesterday. TJ is legit.

I had never heard of Paul Felder but he impressed me in his fight with Barboza. Barboza was just to fast for him.  

Don't need to see Tate v Rousey again, but I'm not sure what else you do. It's sort of like the WW division under GSP, where Fitch was a distant #2. He could beat everyone but not the champ. It's a tough spot.

The Louzan fight was weird. Joe just stood up and said "He's done", but he wasn't. I thought Dean should have stayed out of it. Gomi was getting to his feet. 

I knew Felder was awesome when he spinning back fisted Castillo. Him and Barboza was the shit!

I think when you've earned contention by beating all other contenders, you deserve your shot, no matter how man times you've fought and lost to the champ. Its Tate's shot, and if Rona beats Beth, so be it. She's got every right to a chance to show that those past fights could go another way imho. I went berserk when she dropped Eye the first time. Great fight.

I don't think Gomi had much left to give if he was allowed to continue. Lauzon stated that he suspects he tore something in Gomi's groin when he was flattening him out. Didn't look much like Gomi was disputing the stoppage, which is always telling to me.

So it's being reported that Lawler is gonna take on Condit at UFC 194 in Calgary. I'm definitely happy about the chance Carlos is gonna get it but a bit surprised. I figured Hendricks would get the next shot and Condit would get Woodley or even McDonald again. Hendricks is reportedly sour about it and you can't blame him, and he also gets to fight Woodley on the same card.

Wow, happy for Calgary. They seem to be getting some prime cut for this card. Lawler/Condit has me salivating already.

Don't cry too hard for Hendricks. You know if he looks impressive in a win against Woodley that he's next.

Meh, they're good fights but it's still a horrendous decision imo. There's no way Condit has earned a shot ahead of Hendricks (or Woodley for that matter). It seems like Hendricks is constantly getting fucked. He should beat Woodley pretty easily though, then he'll finally be able to take back his belt. 

WSOF was pretty crazy. Khabib and Nate Diaz got into a fight while they were announcing the mainevent, then Palhares got Shields with a kimura, held it too long *again* and Shields punched him after it was stopped. UFC was meh, I'm pretty hyped for Gadelha though, she could definitely stop the Joanna hype train, I scored their first fight for Gadelha. 

She's so much better than anyone else in the division that it's almost ridiculous. And she keeps improving her overall skill set. She's amazing.

I like her personality, her looks, and the way she fights.
But I have problems seeing her as some massive star that overshadows most of the male fighters who fight in extremely competitive divisions.

She just doesn't have any competition. And the way these women go down all the time, so easy and so fast. Either Rousey is five times better than anyone else, or there is no competition at all, or is it both?

I understand that she wins everything, and easily, but does that really deserve so much more credit than a men's middleweight champ who has at least 20 superb fighters to face in that category? It just seems they have to do so much more to achieve glory than Rousey.

I know, you can only beat those you come up against, that's another old adagio. But at the same time, who you came up against ( or did not have to face) is in every sport a measure of that person's success and acclaim.

I like her personality, her looks, and the way she fights.
But I have problems seeing her as some massive star that overshadows most of the male fighters who fight in extremely competitive divisions.

She just doesn't have any competition. And the way these women go down all the time, so easy and so fast. Either Rousey is five times better than anyone else, or there is no competition at all, or is it both?

I understand that she wins everything, and easily, but does that really deserve so much more credit than a men's middleweight champ who has at least 20 superb fighters to face in that category? It just seems they have to do so much more to achieve glory than Rousey.

I know, you can only beat those you come up against, that's another old adagio. But at the same time, who you came up against ( or did not have to face) is in every sport a measure of that person's success and acclaim.

My only problem with Rousey is that she seems to be ducking her toughest opponent. If she really wants to prove herself as the baddest woman on the planet all she has to do is accept the 140lb catch weight fight with Cyborg. 

MMA history is littered with fighters who seemed unbeatable until they got beat. It's a young sport and women's mma is even younger. At some point Rousey will slow down a bit and her opponents will get better.

Well, yeah, Rousey's very good but I doubt she's unbeatable.

I do think it's going to become a bit of a problem for women's mma if nobody is able to at least compete with Rousey soon though. I think you could sort of accept it when she's blowing away her opponents with judo and submission skills because they're really impressive. Going back to the earlier discussion her stand up really isn't that impressive though, as she showed last night, she's clearly got power and is pretty relentless but it was still pretty wild. When Rousey's able to run through her opposition in 34 seconds while pretty clearly deliberately not using her main strengths that's not a great look for the division she's in.

Hopefully her high profile will lead to some better depth in the sport soon.

My only problem with Rousey is that she seems to be ducking her toughest opponent. If she really wants to prove herself as the baddest woman on the planet all she has to do is accept the 140lb catch weight fight with Cyborg.

I read last night that they want the Cyborg to come down to 135 in order for the fight to happen.

MMA history is littered with fighters who seemed unbeatable until they got beat. It's a young sport and women's mma is even younger. At some point Rousey will slow down a bit and her opponents will get better.

She's going to retire before that happens, she has a very clear idea about how long she wants to stay in the sport. She openly talks about what her last fight might be a lot. If the Cyborg fight ever happens it'll probably be her last. 

I go back and forth on this, yeah Rousey could easily take a 140 catchweight and it would be the best outcome for everyone but Cyborg is a known steroid cheat. I think Rousey's position is pretty fair. As a fan I'm pretty annoyed that they haven't agreed to do a 140 catchweight but I understand why Ronda doesn't feel the need to make it any easier for Cyborg. 

I read last night that they want the Cyborg to come down to 135 in order for the fight to happen.

She's going to retire before that happens, she has a very clear idea about how long she wants to stay in the sport. She openly talks about what her last fight might be a lot. If the Cyborg fight ever happens it'll probably be her last. 

I go back and forth on this, yeah Rousey could easily take a 140 catchweight and it would be the best outcome for everyone but Cyborg is a known steroid cheat. I think Rousey's position is pretty fair. As a fan I'm pretty annoyed that they haven't agreed to do a 140 catchweight but I understand why Ronda doesn't feel the need to make it any easier for Cyborg. 

Cyborg barely makes 145. I've read that she walks around at ~165. If I were Rhonda I would gladly take the fight at 140. If you lose, you still keep your title and your goal of never having it taken from you. If you win you are the most dominate P4P fighter. Period. 

I wonder if the UFC has any thoughts of adding a 145 womens division. I haven't heard anything about it, but as women's MMA gains popularity it makes sense to do it. I also think they should add a HW women's division. Get a bunch of 265 lb trailor trash women banging it out. Who's with me? 

If Cyborg is or has used steroids then if I am Rousey there is no way I go up to her weight. Why would I move out of my comfort zone to appease someone who likely can't lose the weight due to the steroid gains? To me, if Cyborg wants it, come and get it.

Archived