Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

Its also kinda nuts that its trying to run on a subscription model in 2015. WoW gets away with it because it still has a massive (albeit dwindling) legacy playerbase, EVE gets away with it because its players are all nuts, and FFXIV gets away with it because its more polished than JJ Abrams' camera in Star Trek. 

I'm pretty sure every other MMO that still has a subscription is either failing badly (e.g. Wildstar) or is an old game that milking a small dedicated playerbase that's been with it for years (e.g. FFXI).

The subscription is out, but most of the cool stuff you want/need (like mounts) cost real world cash. And it's pretty expensive too. IIRC, just a normal horse mount, i had to buy 5$ worth of in-game cash, for the cool mounts you need to buy the 10$-15$ packages of in-game cash.

They might have brough it down, i haven't played since the 2nd week of the release. But i thought that was absurd. 

The subscription is out, but most of the cool stuff you want/need (like mounts) cost real world cash. And it's pretty expensive too. IIRC, just a normal horse mount, i had to buy 5$ worth of in-game cash, for the cool mounts you need to buy the 10$-15$ packages of in-game cash.

They might have brough it down, i haven't played since the 2nd week of the release. But i thought that was absurd. 

If things as core as mounts can only be obtained with real money that is easily one of the worst monetization schemes I've ever heard of. 

If things as core as mounts can only be obtained with real money that is easily one of the worst monetization schemes I've ever heard of. 

They may have changed it, but yep, during the first 2 weeks, unless you pre-ordered the game or bought a mount with real cash, you didn't have one.

Edit : Just googled it, apparently now you can buy one with in-game currency, starting a certain levels. 

Is anyone actually playing MGS5 properly, or are they just blasting bears into space on balloons?

And is launching comatose/dead animals into the stratosphere on balloons the new killer game mechanic we'll soon see in all new games from this point onwards?

Ha. I have faith this time, they finished the game months ago and have been polishing it ever since, like they did with Skyrim. Which didn't entirely work out (with the reversing dragons and giants catapaulting people into space) but at least it was playable on PC on the day of release, which was a bit more than was the case with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

XCOM2 I'll also get on release, but that's been delayed until February. The Banner Saga II as well, but that's not a AAA release.

Perhaps by "polishing" they mean polishing the GOTY awards cabinet.

And because by the time a Blizzard game actually gets any kind of decent discount, you'd be dead of old age and they'd have actually made a WarCraft IV.

I actually picked up both SC2 games released so far for $20 each on Amazon a few years back. And there's occasional half decent sales on their digital stuff. But usually you are looking at like 50% off or so.

Just played through the MGSV intro...

What.

The.

Fuck.

:lol:

A good friend I used to get high with once spent a unbelievable amount of time explaining the Metal Gear universe to me and I still don't understand it. It must have spanned 10 or more hours over multiple conversations, but for reference we probably spent less time discussing GOT as I convinced him to watch, strung him along, and then fully explained to the floob both what was happening in the show and the book. In other words, this shit don't make sense to me.

So, is that a good WTF? A bad WTF? Or a Japanese WTF?

A good friend I used to get high with once spent a unbelievable amount of time explaining the Metal Gear universe to me and I still don't understand it. It must have spanned 10 or more hours over multiple conversations, but for reference we probably spent less time discussing GOT as I convinced him to watch, strung him along, and then fully explained to the floob both what was happening in the show and the book. In other words, this shit don't make sense to me.

If you can't tell the difference between the good WTF and the bad WTF, then it is probably something lost in translation, so it is Japanese WTF.

If you can't tell the difference between the good WTF and the bad WTF, then it is probably something lost in translation, so it is Japanese WTF.

No, no, no! Can you even read, boy? I color coded it for you and everything. Japanese WTF is far worse than Bad WTF. Everyone knows this. God, I bed you don't even know where Neil Patrick Harris WTF ranks on the scale. :bang:

ESO dropped the subscription I think. Kinda Guild Wars style now. Buy the game and play with optional micro-transactions. Also EVE and WoW (finally) allow players to pay the monthly fee with in game currency. Not sure if FFXIV has a similar system. Wildstar did but even that wasn't enough and it's gone/going F2P now. 

Ah, my bad, I didn't realize they'd already dropped the subscription. Still, sounds like its almost worse at this point. I think the best system is buy-to-play, with a large cosmetic cash shop and maybe some optional gameplay stuff; but that's it. I know that's what The Secret World used, and I thought it worked really well; its certainly making them enough profit to keep the game going and offering semi-regular new content.

Opening is definitely a Japanese WTF. :lmao:

After that, I agree with upthread... Great episode of 24. :lol: Which is funny because 15 years ago, I remember watching 24 with my brother and we would describe any stealthy takedowns by Jack as "Metal Gear Moments."

(Wow... 15 years ago.) :(

No, no, no! Can you even read, boy? I color coded it for you and everything. Japanese WTF is far worse than Bad WTF. Everyone knows this. God, I bed you don't even know where Neil Patrick Harris WTF ranks on the scale. :bang:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, as I do agree with you.  For the human mind, ambiguity is the worse place to be and that is what makes Japanese WTF so horrible.

ETA:  You see, the mind can move on from Bad WTF, you can classify it and move on.  You can't reconcile the Japanese WTF, that makes it linger.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, as I do agree with you.  For the human mind, ambiguity is the worse place to be and that is what makes Japanese WTF so horrible.

ETA:  You see, the mind can move on from Bad WTF, you can classify it and move on.  You can't reconcile the Japanese WTF, that makes it linger.

Very well, I may have responded rashly.

Meanwhile, in Total War: Attila I did an Ostrogothic playthrough in which I immediately set into the Black Sea and sailed all the way to North Africa where I decided against settling Carthage and instead founded a nation of Islands in the Mediterranean. Not unlike my Civilization strategy I settled any rock capable of bearing a population, then I set about to establishing continental footholds. I overtook Pella and was great friends with Macedon and Eastern Roman Separatists. I took over a nice chunk of Spain, eradicating Hispania and the Western Roman Separatists as I colonized an unbroken chain from coast to coast. I made it to where Attila became king and I saw that video for the first time, but I decided to discontinue because I wasn't entirely happy with the way the campaign had unfolded and how long turns were taking. 

So by 435 A.D. I controlled the entirety of the Mediterranean, I had a stranglehold on Spain, most nations were great allies of mine. I was going north to secure England and Sweeden, and I was making over 30K per turn. I started giving away tens of thousands of monies to allies who were struggling just because I could. :) Now I've started a new Eastern Roman Empire campaign and it's going nicely. I've secured Thracia and Macedonia, made peace in Africa, am not yet at war with the Sassanids (that'll come eventually, they won't sign a non-aggression pact with me), and I've got several Armies campaigning in the Western Roman Empire on my behalf. All in all, not too bad.  

Very well, I may have responded rashly.

Meanwhile, in Total War: Attila I did an Ostrogothic playthrough in which I immediately set into the Black Sea and sailed all the way to North Africa where I decided against settling Carthage and instead founded a nation of Islands in the Mediterranean. Not unlike my Civilization strategy I settled any rock capable of bearing a population, then I set about to establishing continental footholds. I overtook Pella and was great friends with Macedon and Eastern Roman Separatists. I took over a nice chunk of Spain, eradicating Hispania and the Western Roman Separatists as I colonized an unbroken chain from coast to coast. I made it to where Attila became king and I saw that video for the first time, but I decided to discontinue because I wasn't entirely happy with the way the campaign had unfolded and how long turns were taking. 

So by 435 A.D. I controlled the entirety of the Mediterranean, I had a stranglehold on Spain, most nations were great allies of mine. I was going north to secure England and Sweeden, and I was making over 30K per turn. I started giving away tens of thousands of monies to allies who were struggling just because I could. :) Now I've started a new Eastern Roman Empire campaign and it's going nicely. I've secured Thracia and Macedonia, made peace in Africa, am not yet at war with the Sassanids (that'll come eventually, they won't sign a non-aggression pact with me), and I've got several Armies campaigning in the Western Roman Empire on my behalf. All in all, not too bad.  

Definitely more successful than my most recent attempts to start a new playthrough.

I started one with the Visigoths where I quickly burned my way through Greece, crossed the Mediterranean, and settled in Egypt. I allied with some of the North African factions, but the Romans recovered quickly, and I struggled to expand.

I started one with the Eastern Roman Empire, as well, and so far, I have gotten my ass kicked. I lost a couple of regions in Greece/Balkans, the shabby legions I had there had no chance against the barbarian hordes. And unlike in your case, those bastard Sassanids declared war on me, despite a non-aggression treaty. The Western Roman Empire keeps getting drawn into wars, and I foolishly accept in order to keep them as allies.

Anyway, right now I am actually jumping back-and-forth between Attila and Rome II. I started a campaign with the Seleucids there, so far it's going well. But after playing Attila quite a bit, Rome II feels a bit inferior.

Oh, and while turn taking takes place in Attila, I read books. (or do stuff around the house)  :P

Definitely more successful than my most recent attempts to start a new playthrough.

I started one with the Visigoths where I quickly burned my way through Greece, crossed the Mediterranean, and settled in Egypt. I allied with some of the North African factions, but the Romans recovered quickly, and I struggled to expand.

I started one with the Eastern Roman Empire, as well, and so far, I have gotten my ass kicked. I lost a couple of regions in Greece/Balkans, the shabby legions I had there had no chance against the barbarian hordes. And unlike in your case, those bastard Sassanids declared war on me, despite a non-aggression treaty. The Western Roman Empire keeps getting drawn into wars, and I foolishly accept in order to keep them as allies.

Anyway, right now I am actually jumping back-and-forth between Attila and Rome II. I started a campaign with the Seleucids there, so far it's going well. But after playing Attila quite a bit, Rome II feels a bit inferior.

Oh, and while turn taking takes place in Attila, I read books. (or do stuff around the house)  :P

Yeah, Eastern Rome is no joke, it's taken me a number of failed campaigns to do this well. The Western Roman Empire is like an albatross, constantly weighing you down. But for my part I can't let them go because I kinda get into it and ask myself "What Would Theodora do?" It's also a huge pain in the ass to start off with the Visigoths inside your borders (they always go straight for Macedon then liberate Illyria). I recommend that you raise an army in Pella but keep it there and build it up, also build up an army in Constantinople and whatever city it is that's right across the sea.

There's really not much to do about the Sassanids except to try and bribe them, which is hard because they're insanely rich and you're trying to balance money for bribes vs money for armies and reconstruction, but if the Sassanids get rolling it'll take over your campaign because unlike the WRE, where you kind of have a secure center to fall back on against any outside threat, the Sassanids can bisect your empire in two turns and leave your economy crippled. They also have a massive strategic advantage because they're crossing flat desert to get to you while you have to sent your armies through winding roads in the hills to get to the Eastern front.

Well, I said more on that than I planned. :)

I keep wanting to go back to Rome II because I like the greater diversity of factions, but Attila is so much better that I kind of can't. And I understand that early Rome is kind of the furthest back they can go for scale/diversity reasons, but I wish that there was some kind of Alexander of Macedon campaign (it could be just like The Last Roman) or a setting during the Peloponnesian Wars. Hell, a campaign setting that could be fun would be immediately after the Alexander conquers Babylon. There could be a Macedonian faction that's kind of like a client state to Babylon, the Persian remnants would be cool, then there's barbarian tribes and Indian factions that could be involved... Oh well. 

When I'm playing Attila I'm watching a movie/video on youtube and playing Madden or Halo. :)

ETA: The entire fucking reason I came back to this thread!

What's a good video game review site? I do the Escapist mostly, but they're not always on top of stuff (I don't bother with reviews in general mostly) and in this case I'm really curious about Mad Max but I don't want to just go to IGN or something like that and listen to some Call of Duty-playing fucktard who doesn't know what he's talking about. So, any good sites you guys know about?

I keep wanting to go back to Rome II because I like the greater diversity of factions, but Attila is so much better that I kind of can't. And I understand that early Rome is kind of the furthest back they can go for scale/diversity reasons, but I wish that there was some kind of Alexander of Macedon campaign (it could be just like The Last Roman) or a setting during the Peloponnesian Wars. Hell, a campaign setting that could be fun would be immediately after the Alexander conquers Babylon. There could be a Macedonian faction that's kind of like a client state to Babylon, the Persian remnants would be cool, then there's barbarian tribes and Indian factions that could be involved... Oh well. 

When I'm playing Attila I'm watching a movie/video on youtube and playing Madden or Halo. :)

There is a DLC set in the Peloponnesian Wars. It's called Wrath of Sparta, and it's the last major DLC they released for Rome II. I got it during a sale period, but haven't played it yet.

And I am pretty sure someone made a mod featuring Alexander. Speaking of mods, there is one being made for Attila that is set in the 800s. I will definitely get that.

Satellite Reign is splendid. Excellent graphic design, some nice variety in how you do missions and great freeform, sandbox fun. It's pretty tough, though. It's as unforgiving as Syndicate was on those fire few missions where you had no body armour and an uzi. Stealth and hacking is the way forwards in the early bit of the game.

Satellite Reign is splendid. Excellent graphic design, some nice variety in how you do missions and great freeform, sandbox fun. It's pretty tough, though. It's as unforgiving as Syndicate was on those fire few missions where you had no body armour and an uzi. Stealth and hacking is the way forwards in the early bit of the game.

Obvious comparison point:  how is it compared to Hong Kong?  Less of a ridiculous(ly awesome) setting, obviously, but are the missions more/less fun?  I was going to get it before HK came out and I'm still jonesing for some good cyberpunk.  

There is a DLC set in the Peloponnesian Wars. It's called Wrath of Sparta, and it's the last major DLC they released for Rome II. I got it during a sale period, but haven't played it yet.

And I am pretty sure someone made a mod featuring Alexander. Speaking of mods, there is one being made for Attila that is set in the 800s. I will definitely get that.

Alexander mod... I must search for this. I didn't realize Wrath of Sparta was anything more than a sideshow campaign. Have you played Caesar In Gaul? I'm interested in that one.

Meanwhile, I bought and installed Mad Max but I haven't played it yet due to being compelled to write an ungodly long rant in one thread and a fantasy football draft. :rolleyes:

Archived