The Americans

Fragile Bird

Not so much a finale as a nice set up for things to come.

I think it would be good to shelve Nina for a while. Having her turn up pregnant may be phase 2 of the Russians trying to manipulate Beeman.

I'm most irritated that Martha is still around though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

And damn, right into it...

As much as this program makes you feel sympathetic for the Russians, they are operators in a brutal world.

What do you think will happen to Paige? How can you tell the 14 year old daughter that you've raised as a good American that you are Russian spies and it's time for her to join them? I keep thinking she'll turn them in somewhere down the road. Or maybe through the church group she belongs to, a "Russian friendship" group will approach the pastor and do a "friendship exchange", and Paige will end up in Russia, where she gets "killed", and disappears into training.

That opening scenario, throwing Paige into the water, and then meeting with the American operative who calls her in, and then the fight with the FBI agents, made for quite an opening. (Who was the woman who bumped into the operative on the stairs, just a stranger? Maybe she thought it was someone from the CIA and therefore got cold feet? And Elizabeth had good radar, didn't she?) And did anyone get the feeling that when his boss talked about the 5'3" or 5'4" woman, and the other agent came in and talked about searching hospitals and dentists for a woman with facial injuries and knocked out teeth, it made Stan think about Elizabeth? Even for a moment?

Solid opening. Do you think Stan will see the suspect drawings of Elisabeth any time soon? Sort of seems inevitable.

BTW, how did Philip convince Annalise that the Swedish intelligence agency has such a large interest in the Soviet-Afghan War? It's not like they were a big part of that conflict. And why is she helping (what she thinks is) the Swedes anyway? She does have a Scandinavian sounding name (although it's more Norwegian than Swedish), but judging by her accent she's a born-and-raised American.

Solid opening. It just doesn't get more tragic than being killed by a man you love while the other is listening in the next room. Paige's recruitment is of course the most interesting part.

BTW, how did Philip convince Annalise that the Swedish intelligence agency has such a large interest in the Soviet-Afghan War? It's not like they were a big part of that conflict. And why is she helping (what she thinks is) the Swedes anyway? She does have a Scandinavian sounding name (although it's more Norwegian than Swedish), but judging by her accent she's a born-and-raised American.

It was apparently common for both the CIA and the KGB to recruit descendants of immigrants from "inoffensive" places like Sweden under the guise of helping their "motherland".

A stellar opening episode. That fight with Elizabeth on the street was a real brutal brawl. And poor Annalise, does Phillip get the irony of that situation. Man that was cold.

Once Stan suspects them, the writers paint themselves into a corner and can no longer string things along. It will only happen when they've decided to end the series. There is an illusion of story arc, but you could start watching the show from any season and the main characters would all be in the same place they started from (Stan/Paige not knowing anything).

I guess the woman at the beginning just freaked out and decided to turn herself in?

And I don't think Stan noticed any of her injuries other than the compress on her neck

It's a classic example of honeydicking.

I absolutely missed that it was Gad that Elizabeth beat on out on the street. Had to rewind!

Solid start. Cannot wait to see where it goes from here. I almost feel like Paige being recruited is a feint and is the boy they're really after.

Just to put an exact date on things, Brezhnev died on November 10, 1982.

I was distracted for a moment and missed something - why did Elizabeth think they were made on their surveillance on the meeting? Did someone see her with the binoculars?

I see now, they changed the venue.

ETA: I re-watched last week's episode, and Elizabeth was teaching someone how to follow someone in a car without being spotted. Have we ever seen that fellow before?

Also, I wanted to add that watching poor Annalise being folded up into a suitcase was pretty grim. And which son do you think Oleg's father is disappointed in?

Still my favorite show on tv. All of the actors are amazing, and they really know how to inject tension into a scene.

The idea that you can show someone's dead nude body being broken at each of the joints and contorted so that it can be folded into a suitcase, but not show a nipple, is the most 'LOL American censorship' scene I can think of right now.

Archived