Paper book or Ebook?

sam90

Yeah, those are unfortunate.

I don't remember noticing so many mistakes in books when I was still reading paper. Maybe they're just easier to see with the font cranked up to a comfortable size.

And yeah, I do feel kinda silly that I let tiny, irrelevant details distract me from the real content of the book, but when you have a job that requires attention to tiny details, you can't just turn that off.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I love reading paper books and ebooks but I prefer buying paper books when it comes to my favorites. I've always loved the smell of paper books and the feeling of the pages whenever I turn them. Being able to do those makes me feel like I'm getting the full experience of exploring the world inside the book. Also, seeing them stored on my desk is like seeing a chest full of treasures. It's a wonderful collection. :read:

I only buy ebooks when it comes to books I'm not sure if I were gonna like. I used to only buy paper books and now I feel like some of the paper books I have on my desk, those I didn't like, are just clutter and they irk me. They just remind me of the reasons why I didn't like the story and all that stuff. I don't know how to get rid of them yet. When it comes to ebooks, it's just so easy to delete the ones you don't like. :dunno:

I tend to bring a paper book and my ebooks (saved on my phone) whenever I go outside. My iPhone's battery life really sucks so I can't read for too long or else my battery will die even before I reach my destination. I bring a paper book just in case my battery dies or something. Having a book with me is really important to me because I'm kind of afraid of being alone in public places, and reading makes me feel less lonely and awkward.

My wife broke my kindle a week and a half ago, about 25% into The Dark Tower on my Dark Tower series read through. I had to get the physical copy off the shelf and read it and I was immediately reminded of how much a pain in the ass physical copies can be, especially giant books like that one.

Maybe I've spoiled myself with ebooks, but I just prefer them now. And I read faster. I was 25% into The Dark Tower when it broke and I got that far in one day. It took me a week to finish the 75% of the physical copy. And when I was done with that I stole my wife's kindle to read King's Revival, which I finished in about 30 hours. I don't understand it, but I just read faster.

Man, I went into a second-hand bookstore tonight and mmmmm ... love the smell of old books. Probably some pretty nasty things contributing to that particular smell we all know, but I loves it. Didn't find any gems, but I love browsing none the less.

Still prefer my ebook though as my primary reading source, sorry Scot :P. There is room in my life for both, however, even taking into consideration the higher risk, cut inducing paper of physical books.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really happier with paper books, the more ebooks I read the more I feel I like paper ones better. I like holding the book, not worrying if I the battery will run out of power, do I need to stop reading and recharge? I like being able to flip back and forth between glossaries and maps with ease, I like the unchanging typeset.

The one thing that keeps me reading ebooks is I have SO MANY paper books gathering dust and cluttering up everything. I keep planning a trip to the local library to unload all these books, some day I will. But since I've had a Kindle I haven't had to struggle with finding a place to keep my "to read" pile and I don't have more dust magnets coming into my home. The only reason ebooks trump paper books for me.

I'm really happier with paper books, the more ebooks I read the more I feel I like paper ones better. I like holding the book, not worrying if I the battery will run out of power, do I need to stop reading and recharge? I like being able to flip back and forth between glossaries and maps with ease, I like the unchanging typeset.

The one thing that keeps me reading ebooks is I have SO MANY paper books gathering dust and cluttering up everything. I keep planning a trip to the local library to unload all these books, some day I will. But since I've had a Kindle I haven't had to struggle with finding a place to keep my "to read" pile and I don't have more dust magnets coming into my home. The only reason ebooks trump paper books for me.

Curious about what sort of eReader you are using. I only have to charge my Nook once about every 2-3 weeks (and I read on it every day), so running out of battery power is never a concern for me.

For someone who travels often, it's hard to beat the convenience of a (backlit) ebook. Size and portability, storage capacity, and extra-long battery life make it a no-brainer for me. Now, maps and pictures are not really ebook friendly, but if a particular book falls within my 'favorites' I usually buy the physical version anyways to add to my library...

I don't think it's a "copy editing" problem as much as a formatting problem. When you change file formats, fonts, font sizes, etc., sometimes funny things happen to an electronic document. I don't think ebooks have inherently more "copy editing" mistakes than paper books, but they can have formatting quirks. I've always viewed these as minor, but I am not one to get caught up on minutia.

The hyphenation error DaveSumm noted is indeed down to proofreading. The hyphen will have been added to the original book file to make a line of text fit the page better - as an alternative to, for instance, justifying the line and leaving big gaps between words. A physical book's page size is immutable. Someone forgot to go through the ebook version taking all those now unnecessary hyphens out...

Though anyone who likes the smell of a new book has never visited a printworks and smelt ten thousand or so new books. Printworks stink.

Curious about what sort of eReader you are using. I only have to charge my Nook once about every 2-3 weeks (and I read on it every day), so running out of battery power is never a concern for me.

Kindle Fire, about 2 years old. It gives me about 6-8 hours of continuous use before power starts getting low. Less if I'm using it to access the internet, like reading this forum.

Kindle Fire, about 2 years old. It gives me about 6-8 hours of continuous use before power starts getting low. Less if I'm using it to access the internet, like reading this forum.

I think you need to recognize a distinction between a dedicated Ebook reader (like a Kindle paperwhite) and a general purpose tablet that you can also use for reading (the Kindle Fire HD).

Frankly, I vastly prefer both to paper books, but the charging issue is obviously much more significant with a general purpose tablet than a dedicated Ebook reader.

I haven't bought a paper book in years other than in instances where an ebook version was just impractical (think of stuff like World of Ice & Fire).

I love ebooks because I can read them on multiple devices that all sync up. If I'm in the elevator or on the train, I can load up my book on my cell phone. If I eat lunch at my desk I can load up my book in Chrome. I can take my Kindle with me on a plane and enjoy my book without draining my phone. I can use any of half a dozen devices to read my book at home. It's just so much more convenient than lugging an actual book around. I can prop my book on the treadmill and increase the font size so I can read it easily while I jog.

Further, I can carry multiple books around as well. If I finish a book, I can move right on to the next one or buy a new one and start reading it almost immediately. I can go back to a book I bought years ago and start re-reading it instantly. I can search for the book I want to read without having to dig it out of a box or find it in a crowded bookshelf.

It's just all about convenience for me. Real books are, for the most part, inconvenient. They're annoying to hold one-handed and it's basically impossible to flip the pages that way. They're heavier and a pain to carry around. They take up tons of actual space in your home (as an apartment dweller, freeing up space is always valuable).

So yeah...ebooks all the way. :D

Archived