Glad to see The Mountain is moisturizing - see how young he looks!

A few Spider-Man movies ago Tobey McGuire won the role of the webbed crusader. When asked why he choose McGuire to play Spider-Man director Sam Raimi said that he didn't, he cast McQuire to play Peter Parker.

I think the mistake was casting "The Mountain" (i.e. thinking too much in terms of sheer size) and not enough on the look and character. I think fans would much prefer a smaller, less physically intimidating guy but with that Javier Bardem-look in No Country for Old Men: A seriously sick and dangerous man.

Are you guys fucking serious...

The age thing, I'll give you that. The guy is in his mid twenties I think, looks like in his mid thirties, but he doesn't look older than the Hound. Okay.

But his face looking too nice? Who cares what his face looks like? This guy is huge and they show him slaughtering normal sized men with a giant greatsword like they were kids. Call me intimidated. Do evil people need an evil facial structure? Should he grow a villain's moustache as well? Twirl it a little, so that we won't forget he's a bad guy?

Some people...

They actually managed to cast one of the largest men in the world as the Mountain, be content with that.

Meh. A freakishly tall and buff man with a baby face cutting down scrawny little dudes is not really all that impressive.

Now a slightly larger than average guy with a crazy face cutting a horse in half... how that is memorable.

Conan was taller than this guy by quite a bit. Just leaner, but heavier than the second dude too.

I think Kurrgan from wrestling and some films would have been better than any. He can look imposing and also menacing, and he has that face that also looks like he could be older than Sandor.

They shouldn't have let the Mountain be seen without his armour and shield on. Keeps the myatery there and he'd look far more imposing to viewers that way.

Its the way you do it. He did not sell it. When he spoke to Cersei he didn't sell it. When Mountain one cut off the head of that horse you believed he was a vicious sadistic monster. Conan Stevens sells it, this new guy does not.

BTW - I saw the episode with my buddy who has not read the books. A few minutes after the new Mountain killing scrawny guys scene, he asked, "Where is the Mountain?" He didn't realize he had just seen the Mountain because Conan Stevens made such an impression back in Season 1.

I told him that big guy was the Mountain, and he said, "That KID? He's the Hound's OLDER brother?? What happened to the first guy?"

I have no problem with the casting. After all, it's a hard role to cast and beggars can't be choosers. I wish Conan Stevens could have stayed on for the whole thing but since he didn't then this is what we have. However, the scene was still laughable and completely unnecessary. It's as if the showrunners felt they needed to show us how brutal and dangerous The Mountain is. That's already been established (and, no, I don't buy that it needed to be done more for show-only watchers). Often, less is more. I would have much preferred them to insert someone talking about a few of the many absurdly sadistic and brutal stories of The Mountain's exploits and simply had him brooding in his black armor in a dark tavern somewhere (perhaps nursing a headache) when Cercei came to talk to him. As I said, often less is more ;)

I have no problem with the casting. After all, it's a hard role to cast and beggars can't be choosers. I wish Conan Stevens could have stayed on for the whole thing but since he didn't then this is what we have. However, the scene was still laughable and completely unnecessary. It's as if the showrunners felt they needed to show us how brutal and dangerous The Mountain is. That's already been established (and, no, I don't buy that it needed to be done more for show-only watchers). Often, less is more. I would have much preferred them to insert someone talking about a few of the many absurdly sadistic and brutal stories of The Mountain exploits and simply had him brooding in his black armor in a dark tavern somewhere (perhaps nursing a headache) when Cercei came to talk to him. As I said, often less is more ;)

Most Unsullied I know still remember the Mountain vividly as "that guy who decapitated the horse in s1" so like you said, they really didn't need another intro like this to show how brutal he was.

I actually think it is interesting that people speculate that Conan Steven's didn't return as the Mountain because his personality was difficult to work with.

Since he was the only actor who really nailed the character (Brutal and Scary).

Where as this guy, despite his small piggy eyes, looks rather babyish.

BTW - I saw the episode with my buddy who has not read the books. A few minutes after the new Mountain killing scrawny guys scene, he asked, "Where is the Mountain?" He didn't realize he had just seen the Mountain because Conan Stevens made such an impression back in Season 1.

I told him that big guy was the Mountain, and he said, "That KID? He's the Hound's OLDER brother?? What happened to the first guy?"

For all those being dismissive of the criticism that casting a guy much too young to be Rory's / Sandor's older brother - I hope they read this. Your buddy is not the only one who is going to remember how intimidating (and older) the first Gregor Clegane looked and acted in season 1 - not many true fans could possibly forget that horrific scene.

Unfortunately they've left a lot of Gregor's 'reputation' in the Riverlands out of the show and so many will forget - but even with reminders (recaps?) they're still going to have a hard time buying that this much younger guy is Gregor's older brother. It's just not believable. I know, the original guy quit and nobody remembers the second one (not even me) - so they did what they did... but I think it would have been important to cast someone who looked more closely like the original guy and then use camera trickery to 'size him up' larger if necessary. This new guy is big, and brawny and yes, they did a gory scene for him - but he still doesn't look as sadistically scary ... size doesn't matter in this case. ;)

Are you guys fucking serious...

The age thing, I'll give you that. The guy is in his mid twenties I think, looks like in his mid thirties, but he doesn't look older than the Hound. Okay.

But his face looking too nice? Who cares what his face looks like? This guy is huge and they show him slaughtering normal sized men with a giant greatsword like they were kids. Call me intimidated. Do evil people need an evil facial structure? Should he grow a villain's moustache as well? Twirl it a little, so that we won't forget he's a bad guy?

Some people...

They actually managed to cast one of the largest men in the world as the Mountain, be content with that.

Yes they did make a good choice. I didn't even pay attention to how old he looked he was freaking terrifying his size and bulk. I thought was was taller than 6'9" . Lena Headey looked like a little doll standing next to him, also it was one line a line he did more in his intimidation than anything he said.

Erm... Are you looking at the same photo as I am?

Probably. IMO he looks sweet and a little derpy. It worked better in the show with his lines and the ominous music in the back, but I just think he has a kind look to him.

But this may have colored my initial impression: http://images.tvrage.com/news/first-look-at-season-4-s-the-mountain-on-game-of-thrones1.jpg

Archived