Football LXXIX: We Didn't Want That World Cup Anyway

Inigima

You know me better than that ffs. It means he's a good player. You should google "dog's bollocks" to confirm.

And of course we can still mock the American's "interesting" take on our language.

I'm just making fun, I knew what you meant.

For those of you still remotely interested (it was a big topic on here for a while), the Tax authorities have lost their appeal over their case against the old Rangers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28231598

Pretty scathing statement from the Murray Group, basically, while acknowledging that Craig Whyte played a small part, placing all the blame for the Rangers liquidation on Her Majesty's Customs and Revenue, who, they say, refused to negotiate in good faith and whose attitude coloured the sale and adversely affected potential investment.

Well, yeah. HMRC weren't interested in negotiating - they needed a test case. That happens.

MIH can puff all they like, they won the case: but the way they decided to pay players was, and is, a transparently obvious attempt to avoid tax by means of a fiction that nobody involved ever seriously pretended was the real truth (that a huge chunk of salary was actually a 'loan', one that would never actually be repaid). The fact that the courts eventually agreed that this was technically legal doesn't mean that it was fair, moral or honest, still less that MIH now occupy any sort of moral high ground from which they should be pontificating about HMRC's behaviour.

I doubt anybody in MIH feels like a winner in this situation. But it's always nice to get some vitriol off your chest when you have the opportunity. As a Rangers fan, I'm sticking to blaming Whyte, myself.

Barcelona sells Fabregas to Chelsea and Alexis to Arsenal then buys our best player :crying:

So basically, we get Sanchez, you get Lallana but lose Suarez and the difference between Sanchez and Lallana is roughly 5 mil. Love it.

I'm also loving that Arsenal is now buying players (really good players) from Barca and Real Madrid instead of the other way around. Times are changing.

The main difference between Lallana and Sanchez is one of them was wanted at their club, and one of them wasn't.

And it's super great to gloat about the players you've signed in the summer, but if your halfwit sports science department breaks all its new toys, they won't do you much good.

I guess. If you want to look at it that way, by all means go ahead. I'm not really all that interested in that. I'm more interested in quality for cost and I think spending 30 mil on a player like Sanchez helps Arsenal significantly more than 25 mil for Lallana, not only because he fills a significant need, but because he's a better player.

I'm not really worried about our sports science. Part of the issue was squad depth (which is improving significantly to allow rotation) and the other issue was really shitty luck (Podolski, Walcott, Ox, Wilshere all had injuries that had nothing to do with overuse but unlucky circumstances).

Pfft, here I am getting excited about the Puma kit launch tomorrow instead. On the fence if I want to get one, I haven't put a name on the back for ages, last couple of ones were Nasri and Fabregas, and we know how those two worked out.

By the way, the Chevrolet sign on the United home kit is huge!

My point was that there's little a club can do about the value of players. If you need someone in a certain position and none are readily available, you'll have to pay for it. It's more luck than judgment.

I think the point is that Sanchez and Lallana aren't all that dissimilar in what they do on the pitch.

And there are loads of players like Lallana around who'd probably cost less or, for some quality, not much more. However, they're all from abroad, because the BT TV deal has vastly distorted in-England prices, and thus have that unproven quality about them.

And United spent a hideous amount on Herrera too so it's not like English players have the overpriced market cornered.

Yeah, but that's just because we didn't bother to negotiate anything below the release clause as might previously have been the case- another result of the TV deal.

Seriously, right now the market is broken. Fulham just paid 11 million for Ross McCormac, ffs.

Yeah, I can't remember a really bad one, though I think we had a pink one for the GK at some point. Two particular ones I liked was the third kit that looked like the horizontal version of AC Milan and the all white away kit we had.

Though this away kit was awful, they look like jockeys.

This Ned-Argentina match has been decent, but I can't seem to give it any attention.

Edit: Since we're talking transfers, Liverpool linked with Swansea's Ben Davis in the Telegraph.

But hey, on the plus side for us we got Lallana for £17 million less than you spent on Ozil and he was better than Ozil last season.

Eh, matter of opinion. Ozil had more assists (9:5), more chances created (76:68), more key passes (67:63), and a better pass completion % (88:85) in 12 less PL games (this is key). He had less goals (5:9) but pretty much every other offensive stat favored Ozil (total forward passes, total successful passes, avg pass length) whereas Lallana was better defensively but also played in a position where that was required more. Ultimately, like that article I posted yesterday, Ozil will never get the recognition for what he does because it's not flashy and will never be flashy but his impact on a game is felt throughout the team, whether from setting up goals or moving from space, taking defenders with him and allowing Ramsey to move into that vacated space and score.

Archived