Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

My favorite part of MoS was Krypton. I liked seeing more of the world and establishing more of Jor-el as a character.

You mean Pandora? I liked the bit where Jor-El turned into Jason Bourne.

I will be undoubtedly seeing it, and as ever will hope for the best. But quite likely expect the worst.

Definitely laughing at the people who want movies to bomb because its not exactly how they want it. :laugh:

I'm glad i could never be that angry with a movie/movie character.

I don't expect a masterpiece, though.

I know what you mean, but I think it's the subsequent DCCU that worries people. If the movies are generally successful, this is it for.......who knows? The MCU's 7-8 years old and I can't really see how it won't last at least 12, almost certainly more.

I know what you mean, but I think it's the subsequent DCCU that worries people. If the movies are generally successful, this is it for.......who knows? The MCU's 7-8 years old and I can't really see how it won't last at least 12, almost certainly more.

Which is fair enough, i just don't understand why people can't see it as a story-arc.

Do main characters start one way, and finish the same way? Nope, there is usually character development, they could easily make Superman less "dark" over the next movie or 2.

I can understand not liking a movie, but some in this thread seem legit angry at movies for not being exactly how they want it. And that blows my mind.

Blackpebble,

No, I mean Krypton. I was unaware of any undergound cities on Pandora, nor was I aware that the Na'vi were technically advanced enough to build the fighting machines we saw in the opening of Man of Steel.

Yeah, Jor-El's flying thing a sort of looked like a "banshee" but that the only real point of comparison in my opinion.

My favorite part of MoS was Krypton. I liked seeing more of the world and establishing more of Jor-el as a character.

Scot,

Have you seen any of the movie that launched the 90's Superman animated series? If not I recommend it. I loved its take on Jor-El and Krypton, giving them some depth.

MoS took place in what a week?

He found the ship, then Zod showed up. He had little chance to embrace any of it. He still saved people in the beginning but saving people is easy when there isn't anyone fighting you.

I think we'll see that arc unfolding in this movie. Superman struggling with being a hero and trying to find his new place in the world now that the secret is out. This superman still has to go through the "great power great rresponsibility" phase.

He found the ship, then Zod showed up. He had little chance to embrace any of it. He still saved people in the beginning but saving people is easy when there isn't anyone fighting you.

I think we'll see that arc unfolding in this movie. Superman struggling with being a hero and trying to find his new place in the world now that the secret is out. This superman still has to go through the "great power great rresponsibility" phase.

:agree:

He's not "Superman" yet. Just a man of steel.

You know, it's like someone knew what they were doing when they titled the movie that...

It''s kind of surprising how little people think when they bring up that movie.

Like superman will start as the boy scout hero he usually is, right away....would not make any sense.

I totally agree with your post. It's a character arc, anybody that can't see that is blind.

It''s kind of surprising how little people think when they bring up that movie.

Like superman will start as the boy scout hero he usually is, right away....would not make any sense.

I totally agree with your post. It's a character arc, anybody that can't see that is blind.

Only if you consider Superman to be the Boy Scout and not Clark.

I always liked the take that Superman was the secret identity used to hide Clark, not the other way around.

As pointed out, he's been Kal El for all of a week in this movie... He was Clark for almost 30 years. He is the son of Johnathan and Martha Kent. And therein lies the problem, this Pa Kent thought it might be a good idea to let a bus load of his classmates drown and it'd be better to let a tornado kill your dad instead of trying to save him.

I always liked the take that Superman was the secret identity used to hide Clark, not the other way around.

As pointed out, he's been Kal El for all of a week in this movie... He was Clark for almost 30 years. He is the son of Johnathan and Martha Kent. And therein lies the problem, this Pa Kent thought it might be a good idea to let a bus load of his classmates drown and it'd be better to let a tornado kill your dad instead of trying to save him.

Hmm, thats a good point actually.

Wasn't a fan of either of those things in MOS. I think it was to show he doesn't know how to be a hero and normal person at the same time.

I've always seen him as being equally Clark and Superman. One's not the secret identity of the other, just two aspects of the same person. He might act a bit differently to blur the lines between the two but as Clark he'll still try and help if someone's in danger and he can't leave to become superman.

Does that make sense?

I actually watched Man of Steel again this weekend (it was on HBO) and a lot of the hate I had for this movie actually softened a bit.

Now, I still hate how they played Pa Kent. Still hate how he died.

But,

I am ok with the rest of the movie when viewed as Superman learning to be Superman. He was just learning how to be the hero he will grow into.

While I still don't think it was a great movie or anything, I don't "hate" it as much anymore.

Now, for the Batman V Superman movie, I am really looking forward to it. I am hopefull that they will address Supes growth as a hero and will lead to the road of the Superman I knew and loved as a kid. Plus, I think Affleck will be great as Batman and I really like the look of him.

That's funny, I've seen MOS on HBO and a few times I've tried to watch it again, and tell myself, "be objective here" but I can't get through the movie, it is just excruciatingly relentless in its tone of bleakness and destruction. Makes me hate it more.

Archived