Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

Yeah, they get a deal with HBO. 

How nuts would it be if [spoiler]Logen got Ferro pregnant in the first trilogy and their child is a POV in the next. I just imagine his craziness and the superpowers she's rocking at the end of LAoK[/spoiler]

I can't remember the amount of time that passed from book 2 to the end of book 3 but with magic included it's possible. Fun idea!

Will it have all of the short fiction for that world?  I'm still pissed about all of those freebies for people that bought their books at Waterstones.   :P

I definitely read somewhere that the waterstone freebies will also be present. They feel more like early chapters that were edited out of the final book but they are still enjoyable.

Update: I think the interview about his next trilogy plans can be found here or summarised here. it's from 3 years ago so I'm sure his plans have changed - especially having done Shattered Sea

How nuts would it be if [spoiler]Logen got Ferro pregnant in the first trilogy and their child is a POV in the next. I just imagine his craziness and the superpowers she's rocking at the end of LAoK[/spoiler]

I don't think that's a way Joe would go, but

[spoiler]

I've had a pet theory that Ferro bore multiple kids for Uthman-ul-Dosht while she was in his harem.  Her revenge-obsession and hatred of Uthman makes her not care about the kids, hence their lack of appearance in her PoV.

And to take the crackpot a bit further - Khalul intentionally had Ferro brought to Uthman's harem because he's been breeding the Gurkish royal line for centuries to recreate an Euz-type figure.    Just consider that Uthman was raping Ferro regularly and Ferro was a super-strong demonblood thing even before her powerup.   If Uthman himself didn't have super-strength, would he have bothered wasting all the strength and energy, and getting horrible wounds as well, just to rape Ferro?

So, that's my suspicion.  Uthamn-ul-Dosht is a demonblood, possibly a very powerful demonblood, he had children by Ferro, and those kids are possibly as strong as Tolomei, perhaps as strong as Euz' sons.

[/spoiler]

To be honest, I read the first six chapters of The First Law trilogy a few months ago. Haven't read a single page since. I just couldn't get into it.

I would encourage you to try again. There's a reason the author gets near universal praise on this forum full of cynics. The Blade Itself is by far Abercrombie's weakest work, but it does work to am exciting conclusion and then you have Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings which are great. Its also fairly short.

Certainly nothing along the lines of Malazan's "Read this confusing thousand page doorstopper and then the next book has nothing to do with it" opener.

It'll contain all the short fiction that's been published in the First Law world, wherever that may be, plus a few new stories including a long one.  Novella might be a bit generous.  13 stories altogether with a lot of familiar faces turning up plus a sort of unifying thread of stories with Shev and Javre, my female Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser style pairing.  New ones will include a story about the last ride of the beautiful young Colonel Glokta and one about the idealistic chieftain Bethod struggling to make peace in spite of his psychopathic champion.  There'll be a more detailed announcement next week, probably.

It'll contain all the short fiction that's been published in the First Law world, wherever that may be, plus a few new stories including a long one.  Novella might be a bit generous.  13 stories altogether with a lot of familiar faces turning up plus a sort of unifying thread of stories with Shev and Javre, my female Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser style pairing.  New ones will include a story about the last ride of the beautiful young Colonel Glokta and one about the idealistic chieftain Bethod struggling to make peace in spite of his psychopathic champion.  There'll be a more detailed announcement next week, probably.

I'm in.

Shut up and take my money!
Honestly it sounds amazing! I'm going to preorder it on my kindle whenever it becomes available! Looking forward to the cover desing

The big question though is going to be "what order do I read the collection in". There's going to be so many variables - do I read it in the order they are presented in the book, do i dip in and out according and read the full length books in a given order. Given how often this question is asked I'm sort of hoping the collection will feature a detailed "how to read" guide foe the series so far.

The big question though is going to be "what order do I read the collection in". There's going to be so many variables - do I read it in the order they are presented in the book, do i dip in and out according and read the full length books in a given order. Given how often this question is asked I'm sort of hoping the collection will feature a detailed "how to read" guide foe the series so far.

Funnily enough they'll all be dated and in chronological order, with the dates of the books supplied for their easy insertion into an author approved reading sequence.

Or you could just start with the longest titles and progress to the shortest ones, like any reasonable person.

"Author approved reading sequence"? It's as if this Abercrombie fellow has never heard of the Death of the Author. I call on my fellow readers to reject this imposed framework and liberate the texts from chronological tyrrany!

Oooooh niiiice. Take my money as well please.

I hope the long one is about either of those last two.

Archived