Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

Ah. Maybe he can speak to some of his Hollywood chums about adapting Joe's work for the big screen.

He mainly does comedy and while that may come in handy for Joe's work, I'm not sure many would be happy if Dan Harmon were to adapt them. Although a part of me would be incredibly curious to see a pilot of that.

On the other hand the Russo brothers directed several episodes of community and Cap:Winter Soldier is probably one of the best MCU movies. I'd be cool with them hearing about Joe's books.

Mchale is going to be in the X-files revival too

I give grovelling thanks for any recommendation.

But he does have over 3 million twitter followers, so even more grovelling than usual.

My office account has 104 followers... would that be sufficient for groveling thanks?  :lol:

4 minutes ago, apovsic said:

So, is Sharp ends going to contain all short stories that are already published from TFL trilogy world?

Pretty much. From Joe's blog:

"Most of these have been (or will have been) published somewhere else before – in anthologies with other authors or special editions of the First Law books, but in general they haven’t been available that widely.  Several are entirely new, including one that teeters on the edge of being defined a novella."

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of Half a King (my first try at Abercrombie) and was not able to put it down. Few times have I ever read a book so quickly. I will definitely be raiding my brother's bookshelf and stealing his copies of Best Served Cold and the Heroes sometime soon. Awesome work. He's got himself a new fan.

10 minutes ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Picked up a copy of Half a King (my first try at Abercrombie) and was not able to put it down. Few times have I ever read a book so quickly. I will definitely be raiding my brother's bookshelf and stealing his copies of Best Served Cold and the Heroes sometime soon. Awesome work. He's got himself a new fan.

Just as a note of caution... You may know this already, but while BSC and The Heroes are technically standalones, I don't think they should be read without reading the First Law Trilogy first.

With that said, as should be expected, Joe has been improving as an author continuously since The Blade Itself was released.  So it does read quite a bit more slowly than the distilled Abercrombie that is the Shattered Sea.  Still great, but I did think I should let you know.

Of course, its been a while since we had a good "What order should I read Abercrombie?" thread...  :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just as a note of caution... You may know this already, but while BSC and The Heroes are technically standalones, I don't think they should be read without reading the First Law Trilogy first.

With that said, as should be expected, Joe has been improving as an author continuously since The Blade Itself was released.  So it does read quite a bit more slowly than the distilled Abercrombie that is the Shattered Sea.  Still great, but I did think I should let you know.

Of course, its been a while since we had a good "What order should I read Abercrombie?" thread...  :lol: 

I know Shattered Sea is more geared toward YA, but I'm quite big on Malazan and other longer, more adult work as well, so I have a feeling I'll enjoy his other novels as well.

But thanks for pointing that out. I'll see about starting with the First Law Trilogy. Cheers!

15 minutes ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Abercrombie's best works are the 'standalones' in The First Law Trilogy (Best Served Cold and The Heroes; Red Country is decent but not on their level), but they should be read after The First Law trilogy. They are basically The First Law 4, 5 and 6, despite the standalone tag.

The Shattered Sea is unrelated to them, but still awesome. If you like this, then you're going to love The First Law trilogy and its standalones.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

I've read HAK and TH so far. They were a lot of fun. I will probably read the First Law at some point.

Edit: And the rest of Shattered Sea.

On 1/12/2016 at 3:31 PM, TheRevanchist said:

I found Half a King the best one in the series. Yarvi was brilliant in that book, a bit like Glokta in TFL. In the other two books, he went full Bayaz.
I liked Thorn and her boyfriend were nice characters (especially Thorn), but I didn't like them as much as Yarvi. Mainly because I like more smart characters than great warriors.

Not sure that I would put it on top 3 Abercrombie's books though. Best Served Cold, The Heroes and probably The Last Argument of Kings are better IMO.

But definitely a nice serie, and enjoyed it a lot.

I actually enjoyed HAK the most out of the others in the series.  I hate to say it, but I kinda felt the rest of the series was a bit of a let-down.  It didn't really "grab" me like the first book did.  The entire series felt a little...off.

I think the main reason why the whole series seemed a bit "off" was because it was a short series, written for young adults, by an author that is known for writing adult-themed gritty stories.  Joe seemed to take his style and attempt to morph it into a work for young adults, and it felt like he was limiting himself.  And with it being a short series, he did not have room in the form of character development.

For instance, he spent a great deal of time trying to show us that Thorn was a bad-ass.  It was to the point where I was saying "we get it, Joe, Thorn is a tough girl".  I think it was just, as I said above, Joe trying to cram a great idea into a shorter YA series.  I would have loved to see Joe take the HALF SERIES and put a FIRST LAW spin on it.  I think it would have been fantastic that way.

Still a good, little series though.  I enjoyed it.  It's just a shame it was written with the constraints it had on it, though.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 2:13 AM, Rcollins said:

I have crazy mad respect for Abercrombie's ability consistently produce new and engaging POV characters. It makes his stuff seem constantly fresh, but DAMN I really wish we could get back inside the heads of some of these characters after their initial arcs are done.

I feel like he was borderline trolling us at the end of Red Country with what Shivers says about the Bloody-Nine. "Who wants to see him again?" Well, ALL OF US.

I am more impressed with his ability to believably manipulate his characters and our expectations for them.  Very Martin like.  I did not like what happened to Shivers in BSC though :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Heroes last night. Not much fantasy content despite Bayaz being involved, Still, a damn good yarn. I loved how just the mention of The Bloody Nine still makes Northern men piss themselves. 

Will Bayaz ever get taken down? Or is the subtext that we will always have self-righteous, manipulative assholes running the world? 

Just finished The Heroes last night. Not much fantasy content despite Bayaz being involved, Still, a damn good yarn. I loved how just the mention of The Bloody Nine still makes Northern men piss themselves.

Will Bayaz ever get taken down? Or is the subtext that we will always have self-righteous, manipulative assholes running the world?

I think Joe has said we should expect the rivalry between Bayaz and Khalul to be a permanent feature of his world.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, Jerol said:

I believe so.

Looking forward to the Grim Tidings Podcast this weekend with JA. Should be really fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived