Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Since I won't have time to listen for a while, any noteworthy news come out of that?

He talks about the different stories briefly, a Logen one, Young Glokta, and Nicomo Cosca. There are also the recurring characters in some of them, of Javre and Shevedieh. They appear in Two's Company, available on Tor.

Then goes on to talk about difficulties in juggling the timeline.

The stories will be arranged in chronological order. (Pre-emptive attempt to head of more Abercrombie and reading order threads? :P)

Does he have a preferred novel length. He likes shorter novels because they aren't so difficult. Short fiction he likes, but not so much as novels for various reasons.

he has started a new trilogy in the first law world. It's a vast project. Seems to anticipate 4-5 years on it.

News about the new trilogy; set after Red Country (about 20yrs after LaoK. Focuses mostly on the Union. Some First Law characters will loom in the background, like Archlector Sult in First Law. The "next generation" so to speak. The story of the "new shits" rather than the "old shits". Bit of a different vibe, technology and politics have changed. He is looking forward to having time to get to grow with these characters.

ideally wants to write the first book and have the entire trilogy drafting before he starts to publish. So, a while before the next book, but once it's out there ought to be a fairly quick turnaround.

Trashing of the Star Wars prequels :D and also why prequels in general are difficult and why he doesn't really see the point of them. 

Discussion of the Grimdark sub genre. He doesn't really like the phrase. "Frustrating and a bit silly..." And "ill defined". (I.e. What most of us were saying in the Grimdark appreciation thread, much to the LALALALA NOT LISTENING! Of certain posters...)

That was part 1. Haven't had time for part 2

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

He talks about the different stories briefly, a Logen one, Young Glokta, and Nicomo Cosca. There are also the recurring characters in some of them, of Javre and Shevedieh. They appear in Two's Company, available on Tor.

Then goes on to talk about difficulties in juggling the timeline.

The stories will be arranged in chronological order. (Pre-emptive attempt to head of more Abercrombie and reading order threads? :P)

Does he have a preferred novel length. He likes shorter novels because they aren't so difficult. Short fiction he likes, but not so much as novels for various reasons.

he has started a new trilogy in the first law world. It's a vast project. Seems to anticipate 4-5 years on it.

News about the new trilogy; set after Red Country (about 20yrs after LaoK. Focuses mostly on the Union. Some First Law characters will loom in the background, like Archlector Sult in First Law. The "next generation" so to speak. The story of the "new shits" rather than the "old shits". Bit of a different vibe, technology and politics have changed. He is looking forward to having time to get to grow with these characters.

ideally wants to write the first book and have the entire trilogy drafting before he starts to publish. So, a while before the next book, but once it's out there ought to be a fairly quick turnaround.

Trashing of the Star Wars prequels :D and also why prequels in general are difficult and why he doesn't really see the point of them. 

Discussion of the Grimdark sub genre. He doesn't really like the phrase. "Frustrating and a bit silly..." And "ill defined". (I.e. What most of us were saying in the Grimdark appreciation thread, much to the LALALALA NOT LISTENING! Of certain posters...)

That was part 1. Haven't had time for part 2

Thanks.  By the end of A Red Country, the world was in the early stages of an Industrial Revolution.  I suppose this is gathering pace.  Assuming they're still alive, I'd put the characters' ages at the start of the new trilogy at:-

Logen (although I doubt we'll see him again) Dogman and Friendly late Fifties

Glokta, Pike, West (but, he's almost certainly dead) mid Fifties

Carlot dan Eider, about 50.

Ardee West, Jezal, Terez, Brint, Gorst, Finree Brock, Monza Murcatto, late 40's.

Temple, Caul Shivers, Vitari,, Prince Calder, early 40's.

Shy South, early 30's.

Children of Ardee, Jezal, Terez, Monza, mid teens to early twenties.

4 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Yeah, that podcast was pretty good. Definitely recommended. Make time, Rhom. Have it on in the background while you're taking care of a patient or something. I'm sure they won't mind.

But if I do that, when am I supposed to listen to KSR?!!?

:lol: 

On 3/28/2016 at 8:16 AM, SeanF said:

Thanks.  By the end of A Red Country, the world was in the early stages of an Industrial Revolution.  I suppose this is gathering pace.  Assuming they're still alive, I'd put the characters' ages at the start of the new trilogy at:-

Logen (although I doubt we'll see him again) Dogman and Friendly late Fifties

Glokta, Pike, West (but, he's almost certainly dead) mid Fifties

Carlot dan Eider, about 50.

Ardee West, Jezal, Terez, Brint, Gorst, Finree Brock, Monza Murcatto, late 40's.

Temple, Caul Shivers, Vitari,, Prince Calder, early 40's.

Shy South, early 30's.

Children of Ardee, Jezal, Terez, Monza, mid teens to early twenties.

20 years passed from the first book to Red Country. 20 years will pass before the next book. Glokta was 35 in the first book, and Logan had to be the same putting them in their 70's 

10 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

20 years passed from the first book to Red Country. 20 years will pass before the next book. Glokta was 35 in the first book, and Logan had to be the same putting them in their 70's 

I think it's 20 years from Last Argument of Kings to the next trilogy.  I'd put Red Country at about 15 years after LAOK, so the new series would start five years after that.

As Consigliere says 20 years after LAOK would be seven years after Red Country, or year 597. At this time Logen and Glokta would be 56, Carlot 52, Monza 49 (and her child 17), Calder 43, Temple 37, and Shy 31.

Jezal firstborns (by Ardee and Terez) would be 20. I wonder if when Joe talks about "the new generation" he is referring to the actual offspring of the old leads. If so, they are likely to be the protagonists of the new trilogy, since no one else among the original cast had children.

I was a little disappointed that we have not heard more about Ferro. Considering the powers she has gained as well as her determination to put an end to Uthman and Khalul and his Eaters, I expected a bit more than a solitary mention of an Eater being killed by a woman seeking vengeance. I hope that we get more info on her in the upcoming trilogy. I'm also hoping for a pov in Shaffa and Sarkant as we barely know anything about Uthman and Khalul. I was hoping that at least one of the new short stories in Sharp Ends would take place in either Sarkant or Shaffa but, alas, that isn't happening.

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I was a little disappointed that we have not heard more about Ferro. Considering the powers she has gained as well as her determination to put an end to Uthman and Khalul and his Eaters, I expected a bit more than a solitary mention of an Eater being killed by a woman seeking vengeance.

But we really don't know much about the extent of her powers, how effectively she can control them, and whether her madness is a real impediment to her revenge plan.  It would seem her revenge plan is going less well than she might have first hoped. 

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But we really don't know much about the extent of her powers, how effectively she can control them, and whether her madness is a real impediment to her revenge plan.  It would seem her revenge plan is going less well than she might have first hoped. 

Her powers seem to be similar to that of Tolomei. While we do not know the full extent of her powers, she did take care of Mamun rather easily and has killed at least one other Eater since then. Surely she should have gained a decent amount of control over her powers considering the amount of time that has passed. I'm also not so sure that her madness would be a real impediment. In her last chapter she seemed to have regained control and learned to ignore the Tellers of Secrets. I agree that her plan for vengeance is not going as well as she might have hoped but I'm surprised that it is going this badly and I'm hoping that the reasons for this are elaborated on in the upcoming trilogy.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Mamun was seriously fucked up though. She'd probably grow in power with time, so she isn't likely at Tolomei levels yet.

Does she still have the seed? She might be weaker now she's further away from it?

I agree, she isn't at Tolomei's level in terms of power and I don't think that she will become as powerful as Tolomei for two reasons: 1) Tolomei has much more demon blood and 2) As far as we know, Ferro hasn't been Eating.

IIRC, Bayaz has the Seed.

17 hours ago, Crowjack said:

Lord Grimdark used to be like Candyman or Beetlejuice. You'd mention his name three times and he's show up.

To invoke him, you have to film yourself biting the head off a live hamster, and then post it here.

Archived