Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

BSC is my favorite Abercrombie novel. I love the cast of characters. Unlike 3CityApache, I loved the pseudo-Italian setting and take on the Condottieri. The dynamics between Monza's crew is excellent and extremely entertaining, Morveer v. Cosca being the highlight. My favorite aspects of the novel are probably the structure and style; I love how each part of the book is different since it's structured and styled around each of the men Monza wishes to kill: the sword fight, the masquerade, etc. I've always told friends if they enjoy Tarantino films, they'll love Abercrombie's novels. BSC probably reminds me most of a Tarantino film. If ever there were a perfect candidate to adapt some of Abercrombie's work to tv or film, it would be Tarantino.

20 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I've always told friends if they enjoy Tarantino films, they'll love Abercrombie's novels. BSC probably reminds me most of a Tarantino film. If ever there were a perfect candidate to adapt some of Abercrombie's work to tv or film, it would be Tarantino.

Pre-shark QT could have done it. They would have had a similar sensibility when it came to dialogue.

5 minutes ago, Beric Dondarion said:

Yulwei ?

The guy who was complicit in Deicide and firmly backed the villain of the series? This is not mentioning using the motivation of vengeance to manipulate a character. 

On ‎24‎-‎4‎-‎2016 at 3:53 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

It's my least favorite of the six Abercrombie books I've read.  It's way too repetitive and was a slog to get through for me. 

I'm not sure if it's my least favorite, but I found it repetitive too, and it took me ages to finish. The downside of the structure is that you know in advance that Monza is going to succeed in killing at least 6 of her 7 targets, because it'd be extremely odd if she never got to try her hand at the last one, and a part of me was just waiting for that.

ETA: I seem to like Red Country better than some here, I'd rate it above TBI and BSC. My favorite is Last Argument.

The FL world map does not square well with the impressions I got from the books. Styria ist almost twice as big as the "mainland" of the Empire around Adua? From the books I would have guessed the opposite or actually the Empire at least 3-5 times as large as Styria. I also thought that the western continent was *much* further away by sea than Styria and Dagoska while on that map it seems not a big difference.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think the consensus is there is no consensus. :P

Well, Heroes stands out as the most popular one, if you look at the thread I started a while back with the poll results.

Last Argument of Kings and BSC follow.

48 minutes ago, apovsic said:

Why is there city called Brock in the north-east of the map? Brock's possessions lies near Keln (or else how could he let the Gurkish invade)? Also, if I see correctly Holsthorm is on island? 

To clarify, that's the actual map from Sharp Ends before it was turned blue, and zoomed in, so you'd best ask Joe :)

I've begun reading Sharp Ends.  I'm enjoying the stories. Some interesting tidbits.

Colonel Glokta saved the lives of Corporal Tunny, Collem West, and Salem Rews, by refusing to let them accompany him on his charge against the Gurkish.  Severard started off as Shevedieh's servant.  Becoming a torturer was indeed a step up for him.  Monza conquered Styria, but remained Grand Duchess of Talins.  She crowned her son King of Styria.  She rules with an iron fist.  Bethod was very scared of the Bloody Nine, who had become a complete monster, when he murdered Rattleneck's son.

1 hour ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Does anybody know if the UK paperback edition is available? I've that it was going to be available on February 2017, but it seems to appear on both Book Depository and Amazon UK (with Gollancz as the editor, so its probably not the US edition). http://www.bookdepository.com/Sharp-Ends-Joe-Abercrombie/9780575104686?ref=grid-view

That is what I thought. Bookbutler tells me only the english paperback is available from numerous sites.

http://www.bookbutler.com/compare?isbn=9780575104686&in=uk&to=us

Me, I prefer the hardbacks ;-) 

25 minutes ago, saymyname said:

That is what I thought. Bookbutler tells me only the english paperback is available from numerous sites.

http://www.bookbutler.com/compare?isbn=9780575104686&in=uk&to=us

Me, I prefer the hardbacks ;-) 

I also prefer hardabcks over paperbacks! Sadly, they weren't available when I bought the trilogy, so I decided to buy them in paperback, and I want my set to match :rolleyes:

Archived