Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

On 06/04/2016 at 5:26 PM, Crowjack said:

Lord Grimdark used to be like Candyman or Beetlejuice. You'd mention his name three times and he's show up.

I like to think he's busy working when not magically appearing here. I guess he's got a lot of promo work to do and a signing tour starting soon. I'm sure he'll be lurking to see what we think of the short story collection though.

There are exceptionally few things about Abercrombie's First Law I can complain about. One of them is the odd circular geography it all. But he clearly wasn't as worried about making a logical continental layout based on plate tectonics, as he was creating really, really entertaining characters who probably aren't going to save any princesses (though they might originally intend to).

Most of the way through my Heroes re-read. Probably won't get through Red Country by the time Sharp Ends is on my doorstep.

7 minutes ago, Direwolves are totally sweet said:

One of them is the odd circular geography it all.

I am also mystified by the fact that shattered sea world is also circular. What are the chances?

But I mean, awesome prose is awesome prose, doesn't really change anything.

3 hours ago, W. Wrycthen said:

I am also mystified by the fact that shattered sea world is also circular. What are the chances?

Not sure what you mean considering Shattered Sea is 

Spoiler

our world in a post apocalyptic future.

Unless you just mean that the planet is round...

I started it, but then realised the map is angled away from the camera so the image is going to be a bit distorted. Apparently Gollancz are releasing a high-res version online on the book's launch day, so I'll wait for that instead.

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

Unless you just mean that the planet is round...

First Law Map: Arranged about Midderland, the sea is even named the Circle Sea.

Shattered Sea Map: Arranged in a circle around The Shattered Sea. Matter of fact, I believe the narrative even has them traveling clockwise.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I started it, but then realised the map is angled away from the camera so the image is going to be a bit distorted. Apparently Gollancz are releasing a high-res version online on the book's launch day, so I'll wait for that instead.

Times have certainly changed when a map is being used a marketing tool for the series.

1 hour ago, W. Wrycthen said:

First Law Map: Arranged about Midderland, the sea is even named the Circle Sea.

Shattered Sea Map: Arranged in a circle around The Shattered Sea. Matter of fact, I believe the narrative even has them traveling clockwise.

The Shattered Sea is set on Earth

I do not remember where but someone matched the Shattered Sea map with a map of northern/eastern Europe to show the probable correspondences after the cataclysic event ("breaking of God").

Archived