Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

11 minutes ago, Crowjack said:

Why? He's active on facebook

I hope nothing bad has happened with his family

Something happened that nobody really knows/understands and he posted saying he wouldn't be back on the forum

eta: regarding the Bone Thief

I had spoiled myself that Shenkt was actually helping Monza, or would at the end, so that didn't surprise me, and actually it's not too hard to piece together as you are reading through. But because I didn't pay close enough attention to how each was described I'm not sure how similarly they were described. And the way I was spoiled I didn't know he was the Bone Thief. I did like that reveal though.

Another question I had was about Shivers

In Visserine, he seemed to have a Logen/Bloody-Nine moment. So, was he actually possessed, or whatever that Bloody Nine freak out is? (I don't really remember what it is, possession, blind rage or what have you

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Something happened that nobody really knows/understands and he posted saying he wouldn't be back on the forum

I'm fairly certain it's because he kept posting things that were deleted by Mods and he was never given any sort of an explanation as to why they were being deleted. So, instead of cause a fuss, he just left.

It's sad really, because I think the whole situation could have been handled better and would not have resulted in losing one of our coolest and highest profile authors that posts here.

42 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

I'm fairly certain it's because he kept posting things that were deleted by Mods and he was never given any sort of an explanation as to why they were being deleted. So, instead of cause a fuss, he just left.

It's sad really, because I think the whole situation could have been handled better and would not have resulted in losing one of our coolest and highest profile authors that posts here.

Yeah...but who needs a popular, witty, famous author posting on their message board after all?

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Reveal hidden contents

I had spoiled myself that Shenkt was actually helping Monza, or would at the end, so that didn't surprise me, and actually it's not too hard to piece together as you are reading through. But because I didn't pay close enough attention to how each was described I'm not sure how similarly they were described. And the way I was spoiled I didn't know he was the Bone Thief. I did like that reveal though.

Another question I had was about Shivers

Hide contents

In Visserine, he seemed to have a Logen/Bloody-Nine moment. So, was he actually possessed, or whatever that Bloody Nine freak out is? (I don't really remember what it is, possession, blind rage or what have you

Spoiler

I don't think it was exactly the same, been a little while but if I recall Shivers was in pain and was being driven on by it, B9 feels no pain. But they both felt the skin on fire thing. Logan's also seemed the more intense and he dissociates himself from Logan, he is the Bloody Nine. Shivers was always aware he was Shivers, he says has the voice of the Bloody Nine, but not that he is him. Then given we never see Shivers like that again, and Logan does it multiple times implies to me it was just because of his pain from the eye loss.

Whether it is a possession or not is never really clear, I suspect it's a bit of both. He can divine with Spirits or whatever so that might be part of it (part of the otherside or whatever) but he also has a dissociative personality. The difficulty in truly knowing is the difference between what we're told and see and what we experience. What we experience from Logan/B9's perspective is pure rage and death, he doesn't stop fighting and killing until Logan proper comes back, but we're told that he has been 'not himself' for months at a time, we see him clearly in a rage but still showing at least a modicum of restraint in Red Country.

1 hour ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

I was always too cool to hang out with the likes of you.

So...he IS Beetlejuice!

And it's no big feat being too cool to hang out with the likes of me. I am the epitome of anti-cool.

5 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Yeah that whole thing was a confusing clusterfuck that I still don't understand. So I'll just blame oh...lets say Orson Scott Card.

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah that whole thing was a confusing clusterfuck that I still don't understand. So I'll just blame oh...lets say Orson Scott Card.

Yeah. Felt a lot like something where I was only ever aware of 20% of what happened. I'll still visit his blog but it's not as interactive and we're not guaranteed to get his opinion on things outside his book.

So "sharp ends" is out pretty soon, right? Probably start surfacing in some naughty shops anytime now.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah. Felt a lot like something where I was only ever aware of 20% of what happened. I'll still visit his blog but it's not as interactive and we're not guaranteed to get his opinion on things outside his book.

So "sharp ends" is out pretty soon, right? Probably start surfacing in some naughty shops anytime now.

Like Waterstones? :P  They've ignored release dates for Abercrombie books before...

Just finished Best Served Cold. Loved it. Maybe even more than the trilogy. Monza and Cosca made it hard for me to proclaim Glokta as my definitive favorite character from First Law.  They were both great in BSC. 

Going to start Heroes next. 

Unfortunately it is already one of the board rules that discussions of moderation practices and so on are not to be undertaken on the boards, especially not where it's dragging a conversation off-topic (as is the case here). I'll leave this up for a little while but I will be going back to delete the OT posts later on.

The only circumstances where posts are deleted without the person being informed are if the transgression is self-obvious: breaching the forum guidelines, repeatingly posting off-topic comments rather than starting a new discussion, posting one or two-word replies or engaging in trolling/insults/flame wars. If none of that was the case and comments were still being deleted, then I'll be honest and say that I have no idea why that happened. Certainly I always explain why a post has to be deleted, unless it's so self-blatant that it really doesn't need to be said.

Like I said, I can only go by information provided to me by other mods, as I didn't see the discussion in question. I do know that off-board discussions were held and the behaviour that was problematic continued even after those discussions.

I would remind people that we have had on this board and its predecessors what can only be described as monstrous shitstorms involving other forums, attempted forum-invasions, massed attacks by alts and sockpuppets etc. Occasional overzealousness in topic moderation (most of the moderating team has been here for over a decade) sometimes takes place against that backdrop of experience.

No further discussion on moderation is going to take place in this comment thread and those comments will be deleted. Please keep the discussion on-topic, cheers.

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just finished Best Served Cold. Loved it. Maybe even more than the trilogy. Monza and Cosca made it hard for me to proclaim Glokta as my definitive favorite character from First Law.  They were both great in BSC. 

Going to start Heroes next. 

Hmm, Glokta is still probably my favourite from The First Law universe but Cosca was definitely up there by the end of BSC. As was Morveer. I think Joe does a good job with the black humour/comedic characters.

i think one of my favourite things about Best Served Cold was the gradual reveal of Monza's and Benner's history and the understanding by the end that Benner had brought down their fates on Monza and him through his own actions. He really was a pretty awful person who was bailed out by Monza time and again and really didn't deserve it

Archived