Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

Can someone give me a quick take on the trilogy that was billed as somewhat young adult?  Is it essential reading for folks that liked First Law?

I haven't read a lot of Young Adult recently, but compared to that I have read lately, and my recollection of stuff I read a while back, Shattered Sea is much less YA in its tone, and still has plenty of dark moments in it. I've said before that I wasn't convinced it should have been marketed at YA but meh, what can you do? 

And now I'm reminded that for no real reason I still haven't read the last book in the trilogy. What e hell is wrong with me? Something just keeps cropping up 

As far as I know it didn't end up being marketed as YA in america.

Well according to this post by Abercrombie you are correct, more or less. He said it was to be published by Del Ray primarily in fantasy sections with an aim to bringing in YA readership. (This was back in 2014) 

That post is worth reading though, for anyone sceptical because of YA labels 

If you liked First Law, you should definitely try Shattered Sea.  All three books are short, easy reads, and have some nice Abercrombie style and twists.  If you don't like the first one you don't need to go further, but I expect you will. 

I loved all six First Law books. But, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to gin up the interest to read the second two Shattered Sea books. I read the first one and thought it was pretty good, but just not good enough that I had to read the rest of the trilogy. 

Yeah HAK was a fun, entertaining little book. I will read the others eventually too. And of course First Law, I've heard a lot about it. I don't mind already having spoilers because I write in a non-linear fashion myself and can usually put the puzzle pieces back together if I have to later.

Honestly, as much as I like HAK, Half the World is by far the superior book of the three. Hell I'd rank it among the top 3 Abercrombie books, period. Most people I know who were lukewarm on the first book loooved the second as well.

In other words, go read it, ye non believers!

yep (insofar as it was better than the first I mean, as I said I haven't read #3). It's better all around for numerous reasons, but I particularly enjoyed not having Yarvi's point of view and making him more mysterious. It's curious to see what the young lad from the first novel has grown into

yep (insofar as it was better than the first I mean, as I said I haven't read #3). It's better all around for numerous reasons, but I particularly enjoyed not having Yarvi's point of view and making him more mysterious. It's curious to see what the young lad from the first novel has grown into

Lawl yeah he's already pretty much gone darth by the end of HAK ...

Honestly, as much as I like HAK, Half the World is by far the superior book of the three. Hell I'd rank it among the top 3 Abercrombie books, period. Most people I know who were lukewarm on the first book loooved the second as well.

In other words, go read it, ye non believers!

I found Half a King the best one in the series. Yarvi was brilliant in that book, a bit like Glokta in TFL. In the other two books, he went full Bayaz.

I liked Thorn and her boyfriend were nice characters (especially Thorn), but I didn't like them as much as Yarvi. Mainly because I like more smart characters than great warriors.

Not sure that I would put it on top 3 Abercrombie's books though. Best Served Cold, The Heroes and probably The Last Argument of Kings are better IMO.

But definitely a nice serie, and enjoyed it a lot.

What's a Joel McHale?

Wondering the same...

Lord Grimdark offered his "grovelling thanks."

ETA:  Okay.  So he's in Community.  A show I've never watched.  Is this a big deal?

Archived