Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I need to do a re read of BSC. It's one of those weird books were I wasn't to keen on it when I read it but the more I thought about it after, the more I liked it. Usually its the opposite. :P

I don't think I would want to do a reread.  I just would not want to go through the downfall to dehumanization of Shivers again.  Too depressing.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I need to do a re read of BSC. It's one of those weird books were I wasn't to keen on it when I read it but the more I thought about it after, the more I liked it. Usually its the opposite. :P

BSC was a huge change of pace from the First Law Trilogy and took a bit of getting used to.  Thought all the characters were great.  I know it's a bit contrary to what I see from most, but BSC is my favorite of the standalones.

2 minutes ago, wolverine said:

I don't think I would want to do a reread.  I just would not want to go through the downfall to dehumanization of Shivers again.  Too depressing.

That was brutal.  The torture scene was downright visceral.

10 hours ago, wolverine said:

Sometimes I feel like the biggest thing in common with Martin and Abercrombie is:  the "good" guys get fucked.

Abercrombie has "good guys" in his books?

I'm doing a reread of First Law right now, and I can't find one. That is part of the reason that the books are so delightful. 

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

BSC was a huge change of pace from the First Law Trilogy and took a bit of getting used to.  Thought all the characters were great.  I know it's a bit contrary to what I see from most, but BSC is my favorite of the standalones.

There was a poll on here a few years ago ranking Abercrombie's books. BSC was comfortably first.

10 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

There was a poll on here a few years ago ranking Abercrombie's books. BSC was comfortably first.

Nope.  It was actually third (both in the mid thread calculations and mine tonight).  Bored tonight I dug up that thread, and ran the numbers on the 42 people that voted for all 6 books.  Incomplete lists were not included and if there was a tie, they were scored in the order listed, some - 1 or 2 - were ignored because there was a 3+ way tie with no context, others provided enough context to break the ties "the trilogy got better with each book."  Their mean rankings are as follows:

1. The Heroes - 2.452
  2. Last Argument of Kings - 2.476
  3. Best Served Cold - 2.881
  4. Before They are Hanged - 3.571
  5. Red Country - 4.119
  6. The Blade Itself - 5.476

Best Served Cold was definitely the most divisive book, in fact the stand alone books are all pretty variable in how they are ranked.  Here their variances ranked in order of highest to lowest:

1. BSC - 2.693
  2. RC - 2.156
  3. tH - 2.059
  4. LAoK - 1.621
  5. BTaH - 1.519
  6. tBI - 0.841

The Blade Itself was firmly in last place with a 6th place finish in 29 of the 42 votes.

The Heroes and Best Served Cold tied for 14 first place votes, Last Argument of Kings had 11, Before They are Hanged had 2, Red Country 1, and The Blade Itself 0.

The biggest takeaway for me was that's it's been three and a half years since I read an Abercrombie book :o

22 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Abercrombie has "good guys" in his books?

I'm doing a reread of First Law right now, and I can't find one. That is part of the reason that the books are so delightful. 

Hence the quotations around good. 

In another fantasy forum I regularly post, Best Served Cold got voted as the best standalone book in fantasy genre.

It is easily my favorite Abercrombie book, and always thought that this is quite an unanimous thinking. The Heroes and The Last Argument of Kings are brilliant, but Best Served Cold is even better.

3 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

In another fantasy forum I regularly post, Best Served Cold got voted as the best standalone book in fantasy genre.

It is easily my favorite Abercrombie book, and always thought that this is quite an unanimous thinking. The Heroes and The Last Argument of Kings are brilliant, but Best Served Cold is even better.

Heroes was my favorite book by Ambercrombie as well. I liked Best Served Cold a considerable amount, but Heroes read like a cinematic experience. It may be the best novel about a battle I have ever read.

42 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

It's my least favorite of the six Abercrombie books I've read.  It's way too repetitive and was a slog to get through for me. 

2 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

It is easily my favorite Abercrombie book, and always thought that this is quite an unanimous thinking.

I don't think there's anything approaching a consensus re: favorite Abercrombie book. I've seen things pretty even split among the trilogy and the 3 standalones.

Without a re-read (which I don't plan anytime soon) I would not be able to rate the books of the first trilogy separately.  Red country is clearly the weakest, I think, and Heroes probably my favorite (despite some lengths and repetitivity)

I was not too fond of BSC but I think I understand its popularity (it's basically a revenge action movie with swords, and some of the stunts are almost indistinguishable from such movies, e.g. the mission impossible style break in over the roof).

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It's my least favorite of the six Abercrombie books I've read.  It's way too repetitive and was a slog to get through for me. 

Seconded. I don't very much like the quasi italian setting, but even without it BSC would be the least liked Abercrombie book for me.

Archived