(Spoilers) Justified Final Season - You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive

Mark Antony

Six Feet Under.

:agree:

--

I know it's a minor nitpick about this show, but I'm a tad upset there wasn't a montage or normal scene set to Johnny Cash's cover of 'God's Gonna Cut You Down'. Maybe it's because I just heard it play on the radio, but that would go perfectly with this show.

Edit: whaddya know, here is a fan-made video set to that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgD0YffAFCE

Awesome finale but I did have some nitpicks.

#1 - Boyd getting off the mountain as mentioned above

#2 - Boyd almost shooting Ava. He risked his life to save her and find out where the money was and then almost killed her before she told him.

#3 - When Boyd was giving himself up he made a comment about going after Raylan when he got out of jail. Don't remember the exact quote. Anyway seemed silly since Boyd was never getting out of jail.

First off, Raylan's white hat was far cooler <_<

Only started this series in March and had a nice few binging sessions with it I must say. While I wouldn't include anywhere near my top 10 and despite there being way too many inconsistencies and holes in the plot I have to give it props as it was highly entertaining. Its imperfections weren't so annoying or grating the way they can be with other shows, and the colourful verbose dialogue was fantastic and absolutely hilarious at times. Loved Raylan, Art and Tim's characters and of course Boyd when he wasn't hamming it up too much, as well as others. Never did rate Olyphant as an actor and regarded him as the weak link in Deadwood, but this role was tailor made for him and his entire delivery and demeanor was perfect.

Flawed but good fun and really enjoyable.

This was a fantastic ending, exactly because it managed to both fit the show and not be something everyone saw coming. That last couple of lines was just brilliant, and so was the delivery.
Also, RIP Raylan's hat. You died a hero. :crying:

"Lets all agree on this right now: If Winonas new beau had been played by Ian McShane, that would have been the greatest, funniest thing ever. Ah well. Maybe in the next life."

Haha just read that. That would have been amazing.

I'd have settled for John Hawkes.

Favorite Big Bads:

1. Mags Bennett - S6 was better overall, but Mags is still the best villain of the series.

2. Avery Markham/Katherine Hale - the final season could not have worked without a strong presence to balance Boyd. They succeeded.

3. Nicky Augustine/Theo Tonin/Drew Thompson - interestingly, they were (kind of) offscreen for most of the season, but their presence was felt throughout.

4. Papa Crowder - the season was weak overall, but he helped salvage it in the end

5. Quarles - started strong, dragged in the middle, then got compelling again towards the end as he unraveled.

6. The less we speak of it the better.

Favorite Monologue:

ART: The first thing we're going to do is acknowledge that this guy is awesome. I mean, he shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flying it, parachutes into Harlan County with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of a small country, and then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement not once, but two times. He spends a couple days riding around with you while you're looking for him, and now he runs off with a hooker half his age. That's some badass shit."

RAYLAN: That's pretty badass.

Best Death Scene:

MAGS: "This is the hard part. I'll put an end to my troubles... get to see my boys again... get to know the mystery."

Bonus Death Scene:

MIKEY: "Will you hold me?"

Favorite Big Bads:

1. Mags Bennett - S6 was better overall, but Mags is still the best villain of the series.

2. Avery Markham/Katherine Hale - the final season could not have worked without a strong presence to balance Boyd. They succeeded.

3. Nicky Augustine/Theo Tonin/Drew Thompson - interestingly, they were (kind of) offscreen for most of the season, but their presence was felt throughout.

4. Papa Crowder - the season was weak overall, but he helped salvage it in the end

5. Quarles - started strong, dragged in the middle, then got compelling again towards the end as he unraveled.

Favorite Monologue:

ART: The first thing we're going to do is acknowledge that this guy is awesome. I mean, he shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flying it, parachutes into Harlan County with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of a small country, and then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement not once, but two times. He spends a couple days riding around with you while you're looking for him, and now he runs off with a hooker half his age. That's some badass shit."

Best Death Scene:

MAGS: "This is the hard part. I'll put an end to my troubles... get to see my boys again... get to know the mystery."

Bonus Death Scene:

Completely agree with all this. That Art qoute was the best. :thumbsup:

:lol: at #6.

I think my one greatest regret is that Elmore Leonard didn't get to see the ending to his favorite adaptation of one of his own works. It was a really unique synergy, because even though Leonard really wasn't much involved with the show, it actually served as inspiration for Leonard to keep writing about the character he created. It was obvious that everyone involved with the show - Yost, the writers, directors, and actors - were all intent on keeping true to the spirit of his world, and they succeeded spectacularly.

Not much to add, other than to concur that the finale was very well done, and satisfying. Most everyone ended up in reasonably predictable position in hindsight, but none of it seemed unearned.

Completely agree about Elmore. Liked the nod about the hat even though it felt so wrong watching Raylan wear it after all these years.

Favorite Big Bads:

Nicky Augustine was tops for me even over Mags. I would have made him a regular, surviving Season 4, with season 5's big bad being Theo Tonin who Augustine eventually replaces. Almost like an Avon / Stringer relationship but maybe without the betrayal.

How this show never got much Emmy recognition is beyond my understanding (Martindale and Davies are the show's only two wins iirc )

Six Feet Under.

Agreed. That show had it's faults, but the finale ties with The Shield's 'Family Meeting' as one of the best I've ever seen.

Favorite Big Bads:

Favorite Monologue:

Best Death Scene:

Bonus Death Scene:

That Art quote is hands down one of the best quotes on television

How this show never got much Emmy recognition is beyond my understanding (Martindale and Davies are the show's only two wins iirc )

I'd guess they didn't pay off enough emmy voters. I know there are a lot of quality programs on TV right now, but the lack of recognition and popularity for this show was absurd.

I'd guess they didn't pay off enough emmy voters. I know there are a lot of quality programs on TV right now, but the lack of recognition and popularity for this show was absurd.

Yeah, I never understood how it wasn't more popular.

I will say that it seemed like FX didn't promote it as much as say SOA.

but the lack of recognition and popularity for this show was absurd.

Meanwhile Game of Thrones and Walking Dead draw ten times the viewers. No accounting for taste.

And don;t get me started on Terriers. Still pissed.

Archived