Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

How much snow do you all usually get? Never spent a winter in America. Where I live I usually get about 2 feet or so, so it's kind of interesting to hear some worried about a few inches

:P

[/quote]

-----

Used to have 2-3 feet on the ground from the last week of November to the first week of April. 

Past few years, the global warming thing has knocked that down by about 90%.  Last couple years, they had to cancel most of the major dog sled races and 'outdoor' events because of a lack of snow.  This year, well, its about ankle deep in my yard.

Temperature wise, used to be we'd have a warm spell of about a week with temps pushing 40F, and then another couple weeks with temps in the -20F to -30F range.  Most of the time, 10F to 25F.  This time, we have temps of 15F to 30F, just not much snow.

Being a mailman on a rural route, I get to drive down miles of road with the window down, shoving mail in boxes.  The -30F stuff in those conditions is...nippy.

Shoveling this morning made me want to cry. We got the front walk and the sidewalk cleared. Snow is still well over the hoods of our cars on the street. I did shovel out enough to find the front of my car, which would otherwise be indeterminate. There are several feet of snow in the street itself. I have no idea when or how a plow could possibly clear our street. If and when it does, the cars will be penned in behind a wall tall enough to hold back the white walkers.

I'm very thankful we have power and heat and plenty of food, and are walkable to groceries and hospitals should the need arise. We're extremely fortunate.

Official tally is 26.8 inches in Central Park; 27 and change at LaGuardia and JFK airports.

Mind, I had a bet with a coworker on how much snow we were going to get. This was Thursday afternoon, when various forecasts said 3 - 20 inches. We set the line at four, and he took the under. He was adamant that this snowstorm would be a bust, like last year. I took the over. Dude now owes me a beer, but I might try to collect in increments of 4 that he was off (just to rub it in a bit more). Yes, I texted him during the storm, because there's nothing better than taunting someone while they're trapped at home. ;)

We never did specify what form the beer would take (although I think we were leaning towards a large-format bottle). I think I'm going to send him on a mission to get me a bottle of Fou'Foune (that I'll share with him because he also likes sour beers).

Oof. I think we are done with shoveling for the day. The curb sides of the cars are shoveled out, along with behind and in front. Zero point to shoveling out the street side of the cars, since we have yet to be visited by the gods of plowing, and when they finally do come they're just going to pack it all in tight against the cars anyway.

They haven't made an announcement about work tomorrow, yet. They're fooling themselves if they think there's any chance. I live less than two miles away and I'm not getting there unless it means saving someone's life, which is the only circumstance under which I would walk to work.

Good a thread as any to post this, I suppose -

We had an early AM shaker this morning.  7.1 on the scale.  Knocked stuff off shelves in homes and at the grocery store.  Also put a major crack in one of the more important roads hereabouts.  A few places had to be evacuated because of gas leaks. 

Still no sign of snow plows. The major street nearby is clear, but my car still isn't going anywhere. My office is closed, and I couldn't get there if it weren't anyway.

I roasted and shredded a pork shoulder last weekend for no particular reason, and parted it out and froze it again, and thank god I did. Massive quantity of dinners right there for the making, which is good since getting to a grocery store would be... possible, but unpleasant.

29 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Still no sign of snow plows. The major street nearby is clear, but my car still isn't going anywhere. My office is closed, and I couldn't get there if it weren't anyway.

I roasted and shredded a pork shoulder last weekend for no particular reason, and parted it out and froze it again, and thank god I did. Massive quantity of dinners right there for the making, which is good since getting to a grocery store would be... possible, but unpleasant.

Are the grocery stores open then? I was wondering how that would work out during/after the storm. 

I'm friends with the kids of the owner of a market about a mile away -- not as big as a supermarket, but plenty of groceries. They closed, but were planning to reopen yesterday afternoon if possible. Which it probably was, they are on a major road. I imagine by now supermarkets are open as well.

I've dug out like 1/8 of my car. We finally got our street plowed late last night, but there's still a ton of snow -- much of it packed against our cars -- and there's just... nowhere to put it.

We officially had 27" of snow (about .6m I think) but it was in weird drifts.  While the majority of our area was up to my knees, we had a few nearly bare places in the yard and back deck, and then 5ft high drifts in the driveways :lol:  (Why couldn't the driveway be nearly bare and the drifts end up on the lawn?)

The plows also added about 5ft of crap to the end of our drive. 

For the first time ever, our neighbor helped to shovel the shared drive. He kind of had to since even his jeep wasn't going over a 5ft drift. Even with a snow blower it took the 3 of us 5 hours to clear it all

Monday morning the neighborhood had about 2" of packed snow on the roads and wasn't too bad for driving on.  Monday night and Tuesday morning is was slippery, slushy, nasty mess (a lot more slipping than on the packed snow).  But by Tuesday night they had cleared all the that crap away too.  We are pretty lucky to live in an area that gets cleared rather quickly.

Since New Year's eve, I was in a pleasant and sunny 20-25ºC weather in Dubai. UAE, in a still pleasant, although a bit too humid for my liking, 30-35ºC weather in Phuket, Thailand, once again in Dubai and then back to as low as -10ºC snowy weather in Belgrade. Never mind that we had snow fall last weekend, today we had a 15ºC sunny, almost springlike day.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around all the changes and all the crazyness I've gone through, weather-wise. :D

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, Inigima said:

I've dug out like 1/8 of my car. We finally got our street plowed late last night, but there's still a ton of snow -- much of it packed against our cars -- and there's just... nowhere to put it.

Sounds like YOU got all of OUR snowz.   I was expecting to be able to cross-country ski by now, but nooooo.   No snow for us. 

Have you seen anyone getting around on snowmobiles, skis, etc.? 

Archived