The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Erm...and why did they turn this into a tv show?

I still like it, as different as it is from the book. I just think they need a bigger narrative drive so that the episodes don't feel so meandering. 

Okay, so I pretty much loathed the book, but mostly for reasons that might not be translated in the tv adaptation. Can anyone on here tell me if this show is worth watching for someone who thought the book a hollow exercise of authorial ego?

10 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Okay, so I pretty much loathed the book, but mostly for reasons that might not be translated in the tv adaptation. Can anyone on here tell me if this show is worth watching for someone who thought the book a hollow exercise of authorial ego?

Well, no. Because the TV series is an attepmt at carrying the cynicism of the books over into a visual medium, but adding gratuitous underwear nudity and sophomore humour in order to make the nihilism of the books seem so very sexy.

I don't hate the TV series, but I regard it as a failed attempt at mainstreaming something that, to begin with, was all about subverting fantasy tropes.

I think that was a lot better episode than previous. 

1.  So Eliza was Jane?  Or was Jane merely mind-controlling Eliza, like the Beast did with what's his name?

2. Didn't Jane originally go to Fillory with a group?  The Beast could be one of them.

28 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Well that was surprising. And I've read the books.

I haven't, but I've read the Wikipedia summary.  I thought Jane was a pretty damn integral character in the story.  Like, she manipulated characters to achieve the end result.  How does this happen without her?

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I haven't, but I've read the Wikipedia summary.  I thought Jane was a pretty damn integral character in the story.  Like, she manipulated characters to achieve the end result.  How does this happen without her?

With less manipulation? It wasn't overt in the books.

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A layer of the story would be lost without her as well as pieces of the latter books, but she's not truly critical.

I find the show much better when it focuses on Fillory and the Beast rather than the daily lives of the Brakebills kids. The second half of this episode was much better than the previous few episodes. Eliza actually being Jane was no surprise. The Beast going Gallagher on her was. If it was really her and not some plant.

Well that was unexpected; I'll be paying more attention. 

I've come to like Quentin and Alice well enough (A more so than Q), still indifferent to Penny, (the candy wrapper didn't make me go 'awwwww" or anything), and am wondering whether Sultry-but-Damaged will team up with Julia.

Also, I think this show has something against cute animals.

Sooooooooooo.......does all this shit happen in the books?  Or have the producers turned it into a sort of American Horror Story light?

I have a theory about the author.  He must be the guy who started the theory on the internet that Harry Potter imagined all the Hogwarts stories because it was the way an abused child who gets locked under the stairs escapes what he's suffering.

With last week's program and this week's things have been getting better and better, but they sure took a creepy turn.

The last two episodes have been fantastic.  I don't think that Eliza was actually Jane, I think SpaceChampion is correct that that was just a body she was controlling like the Beast was controlling the guy that killed her.  (Damn, these past two episodes have been brutal, starting with the rabbit scene). If Eliza was actually Jane, why would she have appeared as young Jane when talking to Quentin early in the season?  That makes me want to go back and rewatch those early episodes.

Archived