Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

I went up to 260lbs last year at 5'9 and it really sucked.

I was super strong and all that shit but I could barely tie my shoe laces up, washing is way harder, getting clothes that fit is a pain, sweating constantly. Not worth it.

Believe it or not, I've noticed this and I'm way below 260lbs/117kgs.

I mean, it's as if the whole industry is geared towards men who have next to no muscle.

At 1.8m and 76kgs, I am not anywhere near muscular enough to expect such problems but every single pair of jeans I've tried on recently have been tight around my thighs and t-shirts that fit around my shoulders are a bit loose around my stomach.

Yoga can be good for your mind but you were the guy with the recent break up, right?

Don't forget to do some bench presses, squats, pull ups, etc.

Those are the exercises that get the body to produce testosterone and thats what you need after a breakup.

Every kind of working out helps when you're feeling down.

There's such a thing as runner's high, you know.

And, for what it's worth, I think you hold bench pressing in too high regard.

To the folks with shoulder/bench press injuries, how did you get past this? It's been a major issue for me off and on for a year now.

I've had some shoulder pains while bench pressing a while back.

What did the trick for me was to drop to low weights and focus on the movement and get it down properly then increase weights.

Though, for full disclosure, I do very little bench pressing these days :)

Believe it or not, I've noticed this and I'm way below 260lbs/117kgs.

I mean, it's as if the whole industry is geared towards men who have next to no muscle.

At 1.8m and 76kgs, I am not anywhere near muscular enough to expect such problems but every single pair of jeans I've tried on recently have been tight around my thighs and t-shirts that fit around my shoulders are a bit loose around my stomach.

Barbell Apparel Expensive but I hear good things.

Everyone knows that testosterone is the cure-all for everything!

oh dear lord, NO! Everyone knows that women should do as little as possible to minimize the possible testosterone contamination and avoid any perception of being other than fluffy and emotional and wanting take care of the Menfolk. Women should be very careful how they workout... with as little movement as possible.

oh dear lord, NO! Everyone knows that women should do as little as possible to minimize the possible testosterone contamination and avoid any perception of being other than fluffy and emotional and wanting take care of the Menfolk. Women should be very careful how they workout... with as little movement as possible.

Yes because everyone knows testosterone is evil.

Every kind of working out helps when you're feeling down.

There's such a thing as runner's high, you know.

And, for what it's worth, I think you hold bench pressing in too high regard.

There is a difference between the runners high which is like dopamine and endorphine which is a shorter lived but more intense feeling versus the steady well being a testosterone boost gives you. Plus the guy I was talking to is going through a tough breakup after an LTR which leaves your T levels dangerously low.

There is this weird vibe I get from hardcore runners where they are anti-weight lifting, like they are religions you have to belong to instead of seeing the gym as a buffet and knowing what your body is hungry for.

Strength without endurance is like a car without gas. Endurance without strength is like bullet without a gun.

I think I did something to my tricep on Friday - both are sore - my left side is normal wear and tear, but the right side, I cannot touch my shoulder. It's not even about pain, it's like the muscle won't stretch that far. I'm really disappointed to have to miss a Crossfit workshop, but I think I'll be better off letting it rest for a few days.

I went on a 26 mile bike ride yesterday, and the tricep hurt then, but I could keep the arm pretty much straight. However, when we stopped for food, I had to prop my elbow on the table to reach my mouth. It's feeling a lot better today, but I won't be able to get a good front rack.

Not sure what your frustration is but thats basically what I said.

Yoga is good to get your mind right but its not the kind of intense exercise you need.

If I removed the word testosterone would that please you? Would it be more palatable if I only mention the brain chemicals you approve of?

I know that looks sarcastic but I am seriously curious at what your temper tantrum is all about.

Give it a couple thousand more posts and you'll start to understand. BTW, I did do some pull downs, rows, and bench..... along with yoga this afternoon and feel much better than this morning.

ok, my earlier sarcasm aside, I just hate the assumptions about people and the idea that there is only one correct way to exercise. It gets old. There is a huge difference between 'try this, it worked for me' or 'I've read that this can be helpful' and saying 'you're doing it wrong, you must to do this.' As far as I'm concerned, if you're exercising, its a good thing. Any exercising is helpful. If something is not working for you, try something else... ask for suggestions. but my biggest problem with Bits in this thread is that he is presenting things in a 'I know the one true way, I know exactly what you need' kinda way. Yoga is awesome exercise, plenty of people have done it for ages as their only form of exercise and have gotten a whole lot more out of it than just "getting your mind right." There is no way any of us here reading an online forum can say with any certainty that anything is "not the intense exercising you need". We don't know the other people well enough--or at all, we're not experts and we only have our own experiences to go by. And there are multiple ways of achieving fitness goals... and a whole lot of different goals for fitness.

Lifting is also awesome, as are all sorts of cardio and endurance activities. There is no magic pill here, its just not that simple.

But I'm just a long-time occasional lurker at this point, what do I know?

:ph34r: :dunno: (and the ignore function works great... as long as you're logged in...)

to get back on topic and actually try to contribute something before I go back to lurking, after a 10 day (not my choice) break from the gym, I've been back at it for a couple of days. and at a relatively new gym for me. which is mostly awesome (more room than my old one for those of us not using the machines) but they only have a couple of squat racks and its hard to get in to use one. I think its going to be a problem down the road. but for the moment when I can't get to use it, I've been doing walking lunges (with weight), straight leg dead lifts and split squats, both of which have been helpful and seem to be doing something for my legs. so, we'll see how it goes. in the last thread there was some discussion I think about squats and someone worrying about their quads getting too big. My quads definitely get built up from squats, no question. I'm fine with it, but working out my backside is something I'm always trying to focus on. the walking lunges do seem to hit there more. (but I'm open to any suggestions!)

Thanks for the feedback! Not sure if my form is that bad. I'm usually pretty conservative with weight to focus on form. My work causes more problems than training. Or so I think. I don't really get much gym time so I'm gonna focus on only body weight stuff I think. The gym I was using sucks anyway as far as real weight training.

To the folks with shoulder/bench press injuries, how did you get past this? It's been a major issue for me off and on for a year now.

Speaking for myself, I never did. I damaged the AC joint in my right shoulder about four years ago and never have fully recovered from it. I can't do the bench press without significant, lasting pain. That's to go along with rotator cuff damage in my left shoulder, though I'm actually not sure how I did that.

Oh well. I've pretty much decided that as I approach 40, I'm too old for this **** these days, anyway.

I got a late workout tonight after the NBA final. I felt really strong tonight. I glided through my run at high speed and my lifts all felt easy, with increased reps on shoulder press (already at max available weight) and increased weight for wide lat pull down.

I don't know how I'll sleep tonight but that's tomorrow's problem.

Exercise, and the effects it has on depression, have much more to do with the release of endorphins and physique changes which (unfortunately) have a huge impact on our self esteem. Also, getting your mind off of the actual situation helps too.

You worrying about which exercises are going to 'boost your test' sounds silly as fuck.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have your self esteem improve as your body gets healthier. You SHOULD feel good about yourself.

Otherwise, I agree 100%. I blame all the silly fitness articles.

Noticed a possible diet issue last week. Playing around with a BMR calculator showed that I may not be eating enough. So I decided to stuff in another 500 calories a day and see what happens. I feel like I'm eating too much, but the lbs. are already dropping off faster so I guess it was a good change. :dunno:

Get to run outside today after being stuck on the treadmill Monday. :thumbsup:

Archived