Weight Loss Thread

Seventh Pup

I'm about 20 lbs lighter than I was a year ago currently. I got up to over 240 lbs last year, and while that isn't quite obese or anything in my case (I'm 6' 3'') I was definitely unhealthy and did not look good. Running on the treadmill for 2 and a half miles when I'm able to, doing some more aerobic type weightlifting, and cutting down on shitty food/beer is how I've kept it off.

Still hoping I could possibly get down the the 200-210 range, which is how much I weighed about 2 years ago when I was in really good shape.

Portion control (and beer....) has always been my Achilles heel for weight loss.  Once my body got used to 3 small healthy meals and a protein shake for a snack, the weight has absolutely melted off.  Obviously I work out 5 times a week as well, but the biggest thing has been the amount I'm eating has changed dramatically.  I just made a pot of some brazillian stew that I've always had two portions of, and last week when I made it I could barely get through a single one before I was absolutely stuffed.  I've gone from 230 at my heaviest, to now sitting at 195.  

My aunty came over my nans house (where I live) the other day and took one look at me and said OOHH YOUVE PUT ON LOTS OF WEIGHT HAVEN'T YOU and then she proceeded to grab my stomach and bum whilst I stood there awkwardly. So...that was pleasant. 

Who the fuck does that.

My mom once wrote me a letter where she asked for a loan and then told me that I looked fatter in the more recent pictures.

I am looking forward to being old so I won't have to give any fucks at all about what I say. It seems fun.

Man, do I feel you. I think I got an average of around 3 hours of sleep for about 2 1/2 years when I had my son. Sleep deprivation can really do horrible things to your mind, body and soul. The combo of no sleep + stress is a recipe for gaining and keeping weight. I craved and ate the sugar and fat simply because I was freaking exhausted and it was quick energy. On top of that I know now that I had postpartum depression. Of course, didn't know it then.

Yes, I know exactly how this feels. My daughter had severe problems with adenoids as well which went undetected for over 2 years, which meant that sometimes it would go weeks where I had at most got 1.5 hours of coherent sleep, and often as low as 45 min bouts plus I worked full time once my daughter turned 1 year old. Most of those years I can't even remember. What was worse, I gained 60 lbs both my pregnancies (I am 5'4 and have always had pretty normal weight, so the entire process was pretty horrendous for me) and due to sleep deprivation I had a very hard time getting rid of it, still do, to this day.

I've kind of accepted that I will never get rid of all of it, most likely. Even if I wanted to, really wanted to, I am turning 40 soon and my metabolism which has always been a bit shit is now laughably low. Working full time with two small kids and a 2 hrs daily commute means time for exercise is nearly non-existent, even if I really try. After the first child I went on Weight Watchers and forced myself down to 3-4 lbs off my starting weight, but that took a huge effort and I didn't have 2 kids and a 2 hr commute each day at that point. We're trying to eat healthier and we always cook our own meals, but with one extremely picky eater and limited amount of time, it feels like convenience wins very often and dinner will be potatoes, meatballs and ketchup cos none of us can be bothered to cook up a bean and quinoa salad or whatever.

On the other hand, accepting that your body changes and sod all the haters is pretty liberating. I don't live my life to please others.

So TL;DR, for new parents: be kind to yourself. Do the best you can, but don't kill yourself over not being perfect, it's just depressing.

I've struggled with being overweight my entire adult life, ballooning to 280 pounds at 6'1 a few years ago. In the last few years I stabilized to my weight i was in college, around 235-245. This past april I decided I was tired of being extremely overweight and since April,  I have lost 32 pounds ( weighing in at 213.4 this morning :)   What really helped me was changing my eating habits. the first few months I would go to the gym daily and run on the elliptical 4 miles, but the last 2 months I haven't had the time to go. However, by changing my eating habits i have continued to lose weight.

The biggest thing was that I used to eat red meat in nearly every single meal. Burgers for lunch, dinner, etc.. I would guess that of the 14 major meals a week I would eat, 10 of them contained red meat. Now i eat red meat maybe 2-4 meals a week max. I also stopped eating anything after 9pm at night and I also stopped drinking all types of soda and just consume water now. Now obviously there are a few cheat days here and there but for the most part that is what i have been doing and it has been working great for me. 

My current goal is to be at 199.99 pounds.. and that will make me extremely happy. Once I get under 200 I'm gonna shoot for 185 as my final target. 

It appears that my body also believes, like my heart, that it doesn't count if you're on vacation. Despite my epic carb binge over several days last week I'm still averaging out 3 lbs a week reduction over the last three weeks. Granted this is a little under my target rate of 3.5 lbs a week, but considering the pitchers of beer and plates of pasta that I pounded, I think I'm doing pretty OK.

Yes, I know exactly how this feels. My daughter had severe problems with adenoids as well which went undetected for over 2 years, which meant that sometimes it would go weeks where I had at most got 1.5 hours of coherent sleep, and often as low as 45 min bouts plus I worked full time once my daughter turned 1 year old. Most of those years I can't even remember. What was worse, I gained 60 lbs both my pregnancies (I am 5'4 and have always had pretty normal weight, so the entire process was pretty horrendous for me) and due to sleep deprivation I had a very hard time getting rid of it, still do, to this day.

I've kind of accepted that I will never get rid of all of it, most likely. Even if I wanted to, really wanted to, I am turning 40 soon and my metabolism which has always been a bit shit is now laughably low. Working full time with two small kids and a 2 hrs daily commute means time for exercise is nearly non-existent, even if I really try. After the first child I went on Weight Watchers and forced myself down to 3-4 lbs off my starting weight, but that took a huge effort and I didn't have 2 kids and a 2 hr commute each day at that point. We're trying to eat healthier and we always cook our own meals, but with one extremely picky eater and limited amount of time, it feels like convenience wins very often and dinner will be potatoes, meatballs and ketchup cos none of us can be bothered to cook up a bean and quinoa salad or whatever.

On the other hand, accepting that your body changes and sod all the haters is pretty liberating. I don't live my life to please others.

So TL;DR, for new parents: be kind to yourself. Do the best you can, but don't kill yourself over not being perfect, it's just depressing.

^ This. I've gotten to the point in which I seriously can't be bothered to care what people think and it's pretty liberating. This usually doesn't happen to most people until they are in their 60's, lol.

If I remember correctly from one of the baby threads I think we both had pretty difficult pregnancies/labor. Im 35 and can already feel how much slower my metabolism is. But when I do get to exercise I feel really good. It's just finding the time.

I wish now that I would have been much more kind to myself years ago. I never judge other overweight people but I was truly awful to myself. Life is too short for that. Now I try to focus on just taking care of myself by eating better and exercising when I can.

My aunty came over my nans house (where I live) the other day and took one look at me and said OOHH YOUVE PUT ON LOTS OF WEIGHT HAVEN'T YOU and then she proceeded to grab my stomach and bum whilst I stood there awkwardly. So...that was pleasant. 

That's awful! The day after my daughter was born, my mother came to visit. (She had not seen me at all while pregnant) The very first time she saw me in real clothes and not a hospital gown (still maternity, and those tops are cut to accentuate the bump) she says "look! You've got a little tummy!" Hello, my second kid is 36 hours old, of course I have a little tummy!!

It appears that my body also believes, like my heart, that it doesn't count if you're on vacation. Despite my epic carb binge over several days last week I'm still averaging out 3 lbs a week reduction over the last three weeks. Granted this is a little under my target rate of 3.5 lbs a week, but considering the pitchers of beer and plates of pasta that I pounded, I think I'm doing pretty OK.

That's pretty common and why when people plateau in weight loss a week or so of carb loading is suggested.  It kicks up your metabolism and then when you go back to eating and drinking normally again that sped up metabolism will get rid of all the crap pretty quickly, and once it's gone, will start working on your fat/muscle stores for energy.  It's also why 'cheat days' built in to a regular diet work.  It tricks the body into thinking 'FOOD!!!' to give a boost to metabolism.

Actually a question - does anyone else find that BMI charts like this one tend to run a little "thin"?

Like I said in my earlier post that I'm 6' 3'' and weighed over 240 lbs at my heaviest. According to this chart that would have put me on the borderline of obesity. Now granted, I wasn't healthy during that time, and my gut was definitely more prominent than usual. But "obese" is a stretch. I'm one of those people who kind of tends towards being a little heavier (except during high school where I was skinny as a rail even though I ate like shit...damn I miss those days), like 2 years ago I kinda hovered between 200 and 210 and I was in really good shape by my standards, but 200 is the borderline for being "overweight" here.

Meanwhile my dad is only 5' 11'' and weighs even more than I do. But he's very stockily built and I'm not sure I'd call him "obese" either. So idk...not sure if I'm in denial or if these things are actually scaled differently for different people.

I saw visible abdominal muscles on my 40th birthday. Those of you who knew me at 30 may be surprised by that.

/brag

Not at all! The force and frequency with which you vomited beer all out your car window so many times in our early acquaintances argues for very strong abs indeed.

Actually a question - does anyone else find that BMI charts like this one tend to run a little "thin"?

Like I said in my earlier post that I'm 6' 3'' and weighed over 240 lbs at my heaviest. According to this chart that would have put me on the borderline of obesity. Now granted, I wasn't healthy during that time, and my gut was definitely more prominent than usual. But "obese" is a stretch. I'm one of those people who kind of tends towards being a little heavier (except during high school where I was skinny as a rail even though I ate like shit...damn I miss those days), like 2 years ago I kinda hovered between 200 and 210 and I was in really good shape by my standards, but 200 is the borderline for being "overweight" here.

Meanwhile my dad is only 5' 11'' and weighs even more than I do. But he's very stockily built and I'm not sure I'd call him "obese" either. So idk...not sure if I'm in denial or if these things are actually scaled differently for different people.

BMI charts are useless on an individual level. 

Yeah, BMI is pretty worthless.  Lean body mass and fat % are much better odometers for health IMO.  I'm sitting at around 15% body fat, looking to slim that down to around 10% over the next few months.

Archived