Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

... oh, and Meryn Trant played Raff the Sweetling, Jaqen played The Kindly Man (which wasn't necessarily a bad thing), Stannis played Agamemnon, Needle played Revenge, Jon played an Action Hero, Alliser Thorne played Bowen Marsh, Aged up Tommen played Child Tommen, Bronn played a sass-talking Ilyn Payne, Barristan played a corpse, a corpse played Jaqen. Littlefinger played a teleporting idiot, Mace Tyrell played Harys Swyft...

Considering how much loss and recovery of identity is used as a theme in the books, maybe it is intentional. :dunno:

Sam Tarly played Sam Gamgee at the end of LoTR; he gets his girl!

Don't worry, Sansa and Sandor will be united by their mutual love for St. Tyrion. Well them, along with Dany, Arya, Jon Snow, Davos, Melisandre, Jaime, Brienne, etc., etc.

Noooooooooo............!!

If GRRM would play Wyman Manderly, I would actually be very excited. But alas, it has become too late for Frey Pies now...

Mmh, who should D&D play? What would be shocking enough for them to deserve? Maybe one of them should play a poor shmuck who blew Euron's dragonhorn. If they would stick even a tiny bit to the books I would have said Khal Jhaqo for the other one, but since they are hellbent to make Dany get taken instead of incinerating the bastard and take over the khalasar, this wouldn't be so exciting.

Hey, since the BwB makes a return, can't we make the introduction of the Mad Huntsman with them? :devil:

D&D could play Moonboy for all we know.

I presume he'll just be brought back for Clegane bowl. Rather than to focus on his romantic interest. Remember that romance is for girls and girls are stupid.

Sadly, I fully agree with you.     :frown5:

Next season is going to be the biggest shitshow now that they're left to their own devices.

It really is, isn't it? I really think the whole "it's shocking! Nobody is safe!" thing is taken way to the extreme. The shocks in ASOIAF make sense; they have context and fit within the narrative. They happen for a reason. I feel like GoT wants to shock whether it works or not.

It really is, isn't it? I really think the whole "it's shocking! Nobody is safe!" thing is taken way to the extreme. The shocks in ASOIAF make sense; they have context and fit within the narrative. They happen for a reason. I feel like GoT wants to shock whether it works or not.

I feel this is definitely not an issue in the slightest. Think about it, in the context of the show, it always works because no one cares if these shocking moments have been earned or not, no one cares whether they make sense in the 'narrative' or not.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-23/game-of-thrones-showrunners-tell-the-cast-not-to-read-george-rr-martins-books

“I don’t read the books. I read the first one when they gave me the job, just to get a feel from it and a synopsis breakdown of what was going to happen to the character. But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Must contain...the rage. 

^^ there goes Iain Glen to the doghouse.

OR he's read the scripts, he's dead, so why not come clean?

But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didnt particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.

FFS

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-23/game-of-thrones-showrunners-tell-the-cast-not-to-read-george-rr-martins-books

“I don’t read the books. I read the first one when they gave me the job, just to get a feel from it and a synopsis breakdown of what was going to happen to the character. But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Must contain...the rage. 

Oh I hate them.

But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didnt particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.

FFS

I love it! Jorah is either dead or he honey badgered them right back. He don't care, either. :lol:

LOL.  We already knew they discouraged people from reading the books after season 1.  God forbid, any of the actors have an actual sense of their character...perhaps it would make it more difficult for the constant 180s they have them do.  I might even go so far as to speculate that actors who read the books and then wanted to address their characters have a tendency to die early or get 'recast'.  Just sayin.

LOL.  We already knew they discouraged people from reading the books after season 1.  God forbid, any of the actors have an actual sense of their character...perhaps it would make it more difficult for the constant 180s they have them do.  I might even go so far as to speculate that actors who read the books and then wanted to address their characters have a tendency to die early or get 'recast'.  Just sayin.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I know Michelle Fairley read the first book, because I remember her commenting on her disappointment that she didn't get to do Cat's journey up to the Eyrie. And then she ended up getting increasingly sidelined after season 1 and didn't end up returning as Lady Stoneheart. Something definitely went down there IMO.

Must contain...the rage. 

Wow. I knew they didn't like actors second guessing their choices, but wow. I've never heard of anything like that in other book to film projects. Let's encourage ignorance.

That was my first thought...though he does say he hopes to be standing with Dany when she gets the throne.

I don't get it. No direction or scrawled script notes can help an actor find his character the way all the details and motivations in the books can. Why would they cut off such rich source material, when actors know adaptations have differences due to book to film translation? That seems control-freaky and stupid to me.

Wow. I knew they didn't like actors second guessing their choices, but wow. I've never heard of anything like that in other book to film projects. Let's encourage ignorance.

That was my first thought...though he does say he hopes to be standing with Dany when she gets the throne.

I don't get it. No direction or scrawled script notes can help an actor find his character the way all the details and motivations in the books can. Why would they cut off such rich source material, when actors know adaptations have differences due to book to film translation? That seems control-freaky and stupid to me.

Answer:  They are control freaky and stupid.

What Cas said. Presumably they've known from the start that they would be making big changes to characterisations. They certainly did that with Cersei from day one. They didn't want actors knowing how different the book characters were to the show characters and asking questions about their decisions. This "eyes glazing over when the books are mentioned" stuff is the kind of stuff I'd expect from a Uwe Boll video game adaptation. Just how exactly did D+D hoodwink Martin into thinking they cared?

Yeah, I saw that only afterwards. So, it's the doghouse.

They don't want the actors to read the books because the characters are not the same characters, so what's the point?

. Just how exactly did D+D hoodwink Martin into thinking they cared?

Apparently they bribed a book fan to make them ASOIAF flash cards so they knew all the highlights and potential theories, and one of them happened to have the answer to who Jon's mother was.

I'll be honest here. In my case, I didn't know they had actively discouraged actors from reading the books. I mean, I knew many of the actors hadn't read all the books, but I didn't really know D & D had actively discouraged it. The fact they did so, is pretty maddening. Not only does it tend to show that they intended to make some big changes from the get go, but, also, it seems to show that D & D's egos are so fragile that they didn't want anybody challenging them on some of their decisions. What a couple of chumps.

Archived