Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

Same here, let them build on what they've "created"... couldn't possibly be worse! Har!

(Will there be anyone left to say Har? Oh, that's right, no one ever did. Might give someone personality.)

Touche'  Put HAR on the lists of people, places, and or phrases that never were.  I'd say there must be a skill in managing to make Tormund boring.......but, nah, it's moreso pettiness, not skill.  RME 

Maybe if I watch GOT now, I will less be irritated. But that is not the iconic line, but somebody else said that, ... It might even be a little be refreshing ... but the characters and the story will still be completely destroyed. 

To be honest, you cannot now describe GOT anything else than fanfiction based on plot points told by GRRM. Before that, you could at least call it (technically) a failed adaptation however some parts were fanfiction (Sansa in WF (what if Sansa replaced Jeyne?), Talisa (what if Robb met a foreign noble woman on the battlefield who was a nurse?), Dany and Tyrion Meereen (what if Tyrion met Dany in Meereen before she flied away on Drogon) ...

Look what made (only) nr. 8 in the Voice of TV's top 10 tv blunders of 2015: x

While there has always been plenty to get outraged over when it comes to Game of Thrones (how many characters have to die for George R.R. Martin to be satisfied?!), perhaps one of the most disappointing story lines this year was Sansa's (Sophie Turner). The handling of one of the last remaining Stark's plot was not only muddled, but it verged on being completely and unnecessarily salacious. While rape has been portrayed numerous times of the years on the series, Sansa's rape at the hands of her husband, the obscene Ramsay Bolton, seemed like a senseless plot device, especially when considering it focused on Theon's male gaze of the act rather than Sansa's perspective (and it also did not happen to Sansa in the books). The ensuing outrage on social media may have finally struck a nerve, however; one of the directors of the show has said he will be toning down the sexual violence this year. Here's hoping Sansa, and the women of GoT in general, have a better year during season 6.

I actually just feel sorry for him he is apologizing for the fact he was traveling, ... towards his fans. I think he is depressed because he thinks he failed to write the book on the time (31/12/2015) towards us and towards himself. According the post, the biggest problem was that he was unhappy with the choices he made and he started to revise his chapters. 

That is maybe what D&D also should have done. IMO a main reason why the writing of the show is so bad, is that they give themselves not a lot of time (or they did not have a lot of time as consequence of their child actors) for making their adaptation choices and their writing. Another problem is also they did not thought through how the entire series would plan out. I think when they started they did not know what they would do after the Red Wedding, their goal they wanted to achieve. While some issues were already apparent in the first seasons, I really believe from season four and five the narrative became totally illogical and they started to make adaptive choices based on the fact things "made creatively sense to them because they wanted it to happen". (And no, I will never forget this quote). 

So I really think the show might be more logical if they gave themselves more time to write out the story line, to make their adaptive choices and to write the episodes. And you must also not forget they also produce the series. 

We also rant and rave about a lot of other issues than their adaptation choices. But some of us (like I) might not return to the board until the release of WoW so they would not be "spoiled" (if that is possible) by season 6. 

@LongRider, I love your poem. 

He should be depressed.  He has let the fans down.  He did fail to write the books in a timely fashion.

I agree that Dan and Dave do not seem to be good at planning a whole story arc, and do things from show to show, season to season.  I agree that it appears to me they do not have time to get the details right and have not delegated enouigh to others.

Ok. As many know, HBO has been playing through all of the seasons of GoT the last few days. I have caught just a few or a half-few every now and then. I just finished S5 Ep10 with the khalisar riding up on Dany in the very green and alive (not the dried sea) and Dany drops her costume jewelry ring in the grass. 

There are literally 10,000 Dothraki screamers circling her with more coming up in the rear. That is 40,000 horse hooves trampling the area. If Jorah the Explorer and Go Dario Go find that damned ring I am going to erupt in a ridiculous manner. 

OK. Rant over. Thanks :cheers: 

You know what's infuriating?Them resorting to the breadcrumb ring shows that they're basically treating the viewers of the show like idiot children.They really are pandering to the lowest common denominator openly. Any sort of  consistency or sophistication left  in the show has been thrown out of the window for good.

The only thing left is to  see what kind on mindboggling and nonsensical bulshit they come up with next season, and I don't expect them to disappoint on that front.

And everything was there to tell the story properly, they just had to put it together. Everyone would have gotten it.

Use visuals. Have her say to Drogon, you are as fierce as Drogo, I remember when I rode Drogo... it all fits together. Daario telling her to embrace the dragon, and she gets sick heading in the wrong direction, but when she looks back to "Dragonstone," back to Drogon, she gets it. She has to go back to go forward, she has to get in touch with her inner dragon.

Her relationship with Drogo, and with Daario, made her strong. Because they both got her. That she chose to love them, to embrace them, tells us something about DANY. This is about her identity, you don't just shrug that off, you play it up. You don't make a DRAGON a cranky baby so the damsel in distress has to drop a ring so someone can find her.

Ditto for Sansa, the Beauty and the Beast story with the Hound was her identity, too, getting in touch with her inner beast. Her relationship with Sandor made her strong. Because he got her. These are very simple things, have her remember the connection with Lady, they even showed this, including "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it," when Lady was killed.

And Arya, it's just ABSURD that she would not remember Nymeria in all this time. And you know Nymeria going to come into play again, so make it relevant throughout the story, don't just drop things. Suddenly Arya is going to warg, five seasons later, but one's identity is something that should be front and center, and woven throughout the story.

And Jon, where is the connection with Ghost??? There is no connection, he's Sam's dog. He's ROVER, because they made him Rover. They constantly muddy the waters. Did they stop and think, do we really need to make Sam and Gilly's foreplay attempted rape? And have Ghost save them? It's offensive, it's not romantic, but Ghost has to be about JON.

There's no time to unravel these things, after the fact. And it's not shocking in a good way, when they finally realize these things, it's anticlimactic, because they didn't build up to it.

Hello, ranters, happy 2016! :cheers:

I haven't got a chance in hell of catching up, so what's the latest outrageous news we have? 

I think the last time I checked on GoT news or heard anything about it was when the first teaser was released. 

Hello, ranters, happy 2016! :cheers:

I haven't got a chance in hell of catching up, so what's the latest outrageous news we have? 

I think the last time I checked on GoT news or heard anything about it was when the first teaser was released. 

At the moment we are all sulking about GRRM missing his end of 2015 deadline for TWOW, because it means that for hundreds of thousands of people, GOT will be the only version of ASOIAF they will ever see. The likelihood that  many people will continue to be invested in the books long after the show ends is pretty slim. 

On the positive side, the show will now be allowed to crash and burn on it's own. Who am I kidding? Nothing stops this train. 

At the moment we are all sulking about GRRM missing his end of 2015 deadline for TWOW, because it means that for hundreds of thousands of people, GOT will be the only version of ASOIAF they will ever see. The likelihood that  many people will continue to be invested in the books long after the show ends is pretty slim. 

On the positive side, the show will now be allowed to crash and burn on it's own. Who am I kidding? Nothing stops this train. 

Yeah, no Winds before the show and I can't decide whether to watch s 6 or not... I agree with what Martin has said about the spoilers, though. And seeing how curious I am to see the new level of idiocy the show will reach, I may end up watching it. 

I'm not so sure that many people will lose interest in the books once the show's done with its butchery of ASoIaF... Those who love the story Martin is telling certainly won't, and those who do lose interest were never true fans of the story anyway. :)

I'm very, very curious to see how this train [wreck] will manage on its own. They've managed to completely destroy all characterisation and development and depth while they still had plenty of published material to guide them. What happens now that they've only got the major plot twists and a few vague ideas? I shudder at the thought of s 6. 

We were also talking about much fun it would to bet which things would be part of the real story and which parts would be D&D inventions. Maybe not here ... but it read somewhere someone even mentioning a drinking game. 

There was also an article about an interview with Isaac about season 6 and a picture with Bran on a horse/donkey. 

And we also decided to call Summer in the future Spot (if he became BR, Leaf's or Meera's doggy). 

Yeah, no Winds before the show and I can't decide whether to watch s 6 or not... I agree with what Martin has said about the spoilers, though. And seeing how curious I am to see the new level of idiocy the show will reach, I may end up watching it. 

I'm not so sure that many people will lose interest in the books once the show's done with its butchery of ASoIaF... Those who love the story Martin is telling certainly won't, and those who do lose interest were never true fans of the story anyway. :)

I'm very, very curious to see how this train [wreck] will manage on its own. They've managed to completely destroy all characterisation and development and depth while they still had plenty of published material to guide them. What happens now that they've only got the major plot twists and a few vague ideas? I shudder at the thought of s 6. 

Totally agree with the bolded part. Some of the new readers only read the books because right now it's "cool" to do so, but they're not really interested in the story. They only look to the next big shocking scene, just as they do with the show, and will certainly not read the last book when published, because all the hype from the show will be gone.

But a lot of the readers, even if brought to the books by the show, will certainly want to keep reading, because they can see it's a much more complete experience. I'm really not worried about the selling success of the books,the number of newly interested readers brought by the show will certainly counterbalance the number of readers who'll choose to keep with the show version only instead.

You might as well give in and watch the show, seeing as how there is a very real chance that the books will never be finished. Not to mention that avoiding spoilers will be nigh impossible.

If I manage to survive not being spoiled by every major movie in last five years, I think I'll manage GoT. And truth be told, i don't really get that "I must get an ending, no matter what!". I rather live without knowing the end than to get some half-assed ending.

And we also decided to call Summer in the future Spot (if he became BR, Leaf's or Meera's doggy). 

That's the really important news! :lol:

They diss the direwolves, but they diss everything, nothing goes deep, that would just make them seem real.

Archived