US Politics - We're through the looking glass here people

Shryke

It's finally happened. The Onion has become truth. Woe onto us all.

http://www.theonion.com/article/gop-warns-refugees-likely-be-driven-terrorism-way--51861

GOP Warns Refugees Likely To Be Driven To Terrorism By Way America Would Treat Them

November 17, 2015

Declaring that opening the nation’s doors to displaced Syrians posed a major security threat, GOP leaders warned Tuesday that any refugees who resettled in the U.S. would most likely be driven to terrorism by the way America treats them. “We absolutely cannot provide a safe haven to these Syrians due to the very real threat that the abusive and hateful conduct of Americans will push the refugees toward radicalization and recruitment by extremist militant groups,” said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), echoing the sentiments of numerous other presidential candidates and state governors who have argued that Syrian asylum seekers would in all probability embrace a radical jihadist worldview after constantly enduring anti-Muslim hate speech, racial epithets, and threats of violence and persecution by both the American people and government officials. “The moment we let these Syrians in, I promise that our most ruthless and cruel tendencies will take over, and we won’t relent until these refugees feel like they have no choice but to plan and execute a terror attack right inside our borders. It’s better to be safe than sorry in this situation.” Cruz claimed that the country did not face the same threat from Syria’s Christian refugees, stressing his confidence that only a small percentage of U.S. citizens would regard them as Muslim extremists.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-refugees-in-us-more-likely-to-be-radicalized-beca#.rpmqpo70V

Ben Carson Says US Can't Admit More Refugees Because Our Hostility Will Radicalize Them

December 1, 2015

Dr. Ben Carson argued that because a majority of the American public is against bringing in additional refugees from Syria, actually bringing the refugees would increase the likelihood that they would become “radicalized.”
“You bring a lot of people here from another culture and what they will tend to do is congregate together, that’s a natural thing, which makes them much easier targets for radicalization,” Carson said on Breitbart News Radio. “Particularly if you bring them into an environment where a lot people of are resentful of the fact that they are here. That’s just going to create incidents that will increase further the likelihood of radicalization.”
“So again, why would anyone even be thinking about doing something like that?” asked Carson.

Now discuss US Politics and yell at each other as you did before.

I know it's an unenlightened, unsophisticated, irrational view, but I must confess, I'm more comfortable around people that don't come from primitive, tribalistic, misogynistic, intolerant, theocratic societies.

And this would be exactly why I prefer not to hang around strongly religious conservative American Christians. And thanks for underlining the similarities between them and extremists of all stripes. We'll teach you a thing or two yet Commodore!

Commodore:

I know it's an unenlightened, unsophisticated, irrational view, but I must confess, I'm more comfortable around people that don't come from primitive, tribalistic, misogynistic, intolerant, theocratic societies. Seeing Europe's unfixable homegrown jihadi problem only reinforces that belief.

Nothing wrong with that belief whatsoever. However, there is no shortage of this type of person among any of the races. The current Republican base certainly doesn't seem to be lacking them. I assume you are very much distancing yourself from Trump, Huckabee, et al., not to mention the Tea Party, at the moment?

Commodore:

Nothing wrong with that belief whatsoever. However, there is no shortage of this type of person among any of the races. The current Republican base certainly doesn't seem to be lacking them. I assume you are very much distancing yourself from Trump, Huckabee, et al., not to mention the Tea Party, at the moment?

I doubt that.  This is commodeodor we are talkin' about.

Regarding Trump and CNN, is it too much to hope they call his bluff?  Tell him no, and once the debate is over, make a larger donation. 

Ratings might not be as good as with a Trump Bump, but they'd still have a nice publicity boost going in. 

Call the bluff.

Commodore:

I think your excluding some nuance from the argument. There are degrees of badness here. The people who won't make pizza for a gay wedding aren't as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church, who may or may not be as bad as certain Eastern European groups who run around beating up gay people*, who aren't as bad governments that make it illegal to be gay, who aren't as bad as governments that execute people for being gay.

*The WBC talks a lot of shit, but as far as I know, they haven't actually been violent towards homosexuals. But that might only be because they live in a country where they'd almost certainly be punished.

**I know there are American antigay groups that support anti-gay regimes in Africa, but I'm not sure exactly how responsible they are for the more draconian laws.

Commodore:

Nothing wrong with that belief whatsoever. However, there is no shortage of this type of person among any of the races.

The current Republican base certainly doesn't seem to be lacking them. I assume you are very much distancing yourself from Trump, Huckabee, et al., not to mention the Tea Party, at the moment?

Race doesn't factor into the concern, culture and religion does. 

I have never supported Trump or Fuckabee, and the Tea Party isn't libertarian enough for me. But comparing them to homegrown jihadis is dumb. 

Yeah, parts of North Carolina really weird me out too, Commodore.  Plus what they do to barbeque sauce is just...downright terrifying.  

I know it's an unenlightened, unsophisticated, irrational view, but I must confess, I'm more comfortable around people that don't come from primitive, tribalistic, misogynistic, intolerant, theocratic societies. Seeing Europe's unfixable homegrown jihadi problem only reinforces that belief.

I have never supported Trump or Fuckabee, and the Tea Party isn't libertarian enough for me. But comparing them to homegrown jihadis is dumb. 

Who is comparing them to homegrown jihadis?  You deemed entire societies (presumably you had Syria and Syrian refugees in mind specifically, based on context) "primitive, tribalistic, misogynistic, intolerant, theocratic." The points of comparison are those traits, not jihadis. Painting such a large group with such a broad brush is, of course, quite dumb. Applying them to specific people and political movements is in comparison much more sensible.

But comparing them to homegrown jihadis is dumb.

I don't see why. Far more terrorist attacks have happened as a result of our own homegrown christian zealots than islamic jihadis in the US. 

I think your excluding some nuance from the argument. There are degrees of badness here. The people who won't make pizza for a gay wedding aren't as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church, who may or may not be as bad as certain Eastern European groups who run around beating up gay people*, who aren't as bad governments that make it illegal to be gay, who aren't as bad as governments that execute people for being gay.

*The WBC talks a lot of shit, but as far as I know, they haven't actually been violent towards homosexuals. But that might only be because they live in a country where they'd almost certainly be punished.

**I know there are American antigay groups that support anti-gay regimes in Africa, but I'm not sure exactly how responsible they are for the more draconian laws.

There was no nuance in Commodore's statement, to which I replied:

I'm more comfortable around people that don't come from primitive, tribalistic, misogynistic, intolerant, theocratic societies.

As for the American antigay groups active in Africa, isn't their responsibility about the same as an imam preaching hatred towards infidels without actually committing any physically violent acts himself? It's all about (semi-)plausible deniability in the end.

Glad to hear that, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Ramsay, and your post in the last thread seemed to be weighing in on that.

I have never supported Trump or Fuckabee, and the Tea Party isn't libertarian enough for me. 

:thumbsup:

But comparing them to homegrown jihadis is dumb. 

Depends on your definition of jihadi. If anyone committing violent acts against random civilians qualifies, then to what extent are the instigators responsible? 

You poor people need to get yourself some real BBQ.  Missouri, Memphis, Texas stuff.  Not that East Coast garbage.  

You people are all crazy.  IT IS ALL GOOD! 

I can see what the major problem in this thread is:  Different = bad.  Doesn't matter what the subject.

Archived