Football : The end of the year as we know it

kairparavel

32 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I wonder who will end up as topscorer in the Primera Division.

The top trio's plus Griezmann currently have:

Suarez-18

Neymar, Benzema, Ronaldo-16

Bale-13

Griezmann-12

Messi-10

The obvious answer is Ronaldo, after scoring a hat-trick against Levante, half-a-dozen against Getafe, four against Betis,five against Las Palmas, and nothing against Barcelona, Atletico, Sevilla, etc.

On 1/17/2016 at 3:43 PM, Mexal said:

Was the header and goal the first two shots on target?

The header was not on target. 1 shot on goal, 1 goal. It's the Mignolet standard.

I cannot believe we've just offered him a new 5 year contract. Is it some sort of psychological masterstroke from Klopp?

Interesting article here about Liverpool's current squad.

3 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

The header was not on target. 1 shot on goal, 1 goal. It's the Mignolet standard.

I cannot believe we've just offered him a new 5 year contract. Is it some sort of psychological masterstroke from Klopp?

Interesting article here about Liverpool's current squad.

To be fair to Mignolet, that goal wasn't his fault. A volley from 6 yards away isn't exactly easy to save.

Yeah, I'm not seeing how that's a stick to beat him with. He got a hand to it, but the power of the shot - and the short time he had to react - meant he couldn't keep it out.

I wouldn't put money on de Gea saving that one either. In fact, I'd put money on him not saving it as well. Liverpool's problem vs United was toothlessness up front, combined with an instance of terrible defending (leaving Rooney with acres of space that close to goal). Mignolet wasn't a factor there.

"First shot on goal" is not a well defined category. It could mean a half-assed shot from 25m away or it could be one like Rooney's this Sunday. 

To be honest, I don't nor will I ever hold a goal like this against Mignolet or any other keeper. It's very difficult to save and if a keeper manages to do that that's great, but expecting a sure save from this situation is not realistic.

According to LvG, Man United create several chances in the second half and scored from 1 of them.

According to the commentators, and apparently everyone else who saw the game, Man United scored from the only chance they created.

I wonder who is right? And yes, that is rhetorical. It is quite Mourinho-esque, his behaviour.

9 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

If it happens once or six times, you let it slide. When it's the norm that the first shot on goal is conceded, you tend to be less forgiving.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that Mignolet is a great keeper, or that he's worth a new five year deal. I think he's a good shot stopper, but he struggles with controlling his box. As of yet, he's relatively young for a keeper, he may still develop. But I do think Liverpool need a better keeper to compete long term.

29 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I wonder if that signals the end of Jenkinson at West Ham? Debuchy wants to leave in January so we'll need another RB to cover for Bellerin.

Fingers crossed. He can't get a game under Bilic, so there's no point keeping him there.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm a soccer noob. Does anyone have a flow chart to understand how the various leagues and cups interweave?

This looks like just the kind of thing you're looking for.

Any questions, I'm sure there are plenty of peeps here who will be more than willing to help.

Pro tip: If you don't yet have a team to support, choose Arsenal. We are, by far, the best team the world has ever seen. :P

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Any questions, I'm sure there are plenty of peeps here who will be more than willing to help.

Pro tip: If you don't yet have a team to support, choose Arsenal. We are, by far, the best team the world has ever seen. :P

Found this interesting from that link:

France: Ligue1 – Lyon is pretty much the big team in this league.

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

What he said, about Arsenal and that we like answering questions.

Tywin,

Will say that checking out PL games on NBCSN on weekend mornings is a great way to start watching the game. Games tend to be pretty competitive and it's an easy time to invest yourself since no one does anything in the morning on the weekend anyway but sleep. That is, if you're in the US, which I think you are given you're a Vikings fan.

13 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Found this interesting from that link:

Seems like it was written in the 00s, when Lyon won the league seven times in a row. It also fails to mention Dortmund in the Bundesliga, and has Valencia as the third option in Spain. 

Nah, he should only support Arsenal if he's willing to be continually disappointed. Sure, they play nice, but in the end ...

Instead, support Everton! We also play football that's nice to watch, but ....

well...

Okay, we're sort of an inferior version of Arsenal right now. But in a couple of years, we'll be a true shambles. Excellent fun! Sort of.

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Seems like it was written in the 00s, when Lyon won the league seven times in a row. It also fails to mention Dortmund in the Bundesliga, and has Valencia as the third option in Spain. 

Yeah, I did notice it was a bit out of date, but the only recent one I could find was on some bookmaker's site. And it wasn't much kop. :)

Archived