Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Davros Seaworth said:

I still doubt they will ever make Poor Carol the one in the wrong, although they could try to frame it that way but it come it making her look accidentally reasonable again like with the Small Council stuff 

It will be Larry's fault, everything. He's a monster, and a terribly inept man. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It will be Larry's fault, everything. He's a monster, and a terribly inept man. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of what Toth said earlier, they played up killing for Sandor, and did the same for Jaime. They took it literally and to an extreme. In that video Benioff said Jaime loves killing more than anything. There was actually quite a bit of bravado going on with these two men (aka bullshitting) that was covering up soft spots inside. They don't say what they really mean.

So they had Larry kill Jory personally, skewering him through the eye (in the books, he rode off and his men had a skirmish with Ned's men). And kill his cousin, who he tried to protect in the books. And then tell Carol he MURDERED people to get back to her! And now there's a trebuchet, no doubt, this extends to baby killing! Oh, and he wants to split St. Tyrion in two.

It's odd that they don't get the subtext, or maybe they get it, but just prefer to go with a surface read, because it's more horrible that way. Basically the whole show has turned into a horror story.

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

This reminds me of what Toth said earlier, they played up killing for Sandor, and did the same for Jaime. They took it literally and to an extreme. In that video Benioff said Jaime loves killing more than anything. There was actually quite a bit of bravado going on with these two men (aka bullshitting) that was covering up soft spots inside. They don't say what they really mean.

So they had Larry kill Jory personally, skewering him through the eye (in the books, he rode off and his men had a skirmish with Ned's men). And kill his cousin, who he tried to protect in the books. And then tell Carol he MURDERED people to get back to her! And now there's a trebuchet, no doubt, this extends to baby killing! Oh, and he wants to split St. Tyrion in two.

It's odd that they don't get the subtext, or maybe they get it, but just prefer to go with a surface read, because it's more horrible that way. Basically the whole show has turned into a horror story.

Yup, yes to this comparison on the show's treatment of Jaime and Sandor in both the killing, and in how......they talk, or bark or roar, a good game just as a cover in many instances.  This post reminds me, it's about time to check on my friend and her progress.......and point out how Jaime would NEVER kill a cousin like that, not to mention, a fellow man at arms.  Ughhhhhhhhhhh.  #FuckHBO  #FuckDnD

41 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you have to remind me of that! Hands down one of the improvements *cough cough*  I hated most passionately! Alton fucking Lannister, who on top of everything reminds me of this every time I hear his stoopid name. *

https://www.altontowers.com

* Even the names they come up with are so lame! :lol:

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you have to remind me of that! Hands down one of the improvements *cough cough*  I hated most passionately! Alton fucking Lannister, who on top of everything reminds me of this every time I hear his stoopid name. *

https://www.altontowers.com

* Even the names they come up with are so lame! :lol:

Oh, my. :lol: They could have at least named him Fawlty. Or Basil?

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Everythings Larry's fault apparently. Jaime was great in Season 3 at least.

5 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, my. :lol: They could have at least named him Fawlty. Or Basil?

None of the names of their non-book characters are any good, but at least it's no worse than Robin Hood's cousin Archer on BBC or that Kate. But technically since none of the show characters are anything like their book counterparts any more, they are practically ALL non-book characters anyway.

7 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Well, if we just stick to the thread topic, which is people say what they dislike, and there's no debate, that works fine. There's also a great ignore feature...

We don't have to agree with everyone else's rant. My chief rant is that the writing of the show is sexist. I have zero interest in divining intent, nor the showrunners as individuals.

This article puts my concerns well:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/review/game-of-thrones-season-one

Just catching up before bed and enjoyed the quoted piece very much.

The comparison with Deadwood was particularly interesting to me. I recently rewatched Deadwood and was comparing with GoT and thinking the exact same thing about how it offers critiques of the culture of the time and place in a provocative but also intelligent way. GoT just doesn't seem to care about any of that and actively seeks to strip many of those elements that are right there laid out for them in the books. Not all have been stripped away, but certainly more so in recent seasons.

There's a scene in season 3 of Deadwood that stood out to me when comparing with GoT on character consistency. Al is acting totally out of character by shaming (and physically injuring) one of George Hearst's henchmen for shooting at a woman (Alma Ellsworth). It soon turns out that he was just playing him, to gain information from him. Al Swearengen would have a child killed if needed, as was one of the earliest orders he gave in the whole series, with total disregard of gender. Any time a character acts OOC, there's a reason for it.

I miss Deadwood.

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The comparison with Deadwood was particularly interesting to me. I recently rewatched Deadwood and was comparing with GoT and thinking the exact same thing about how it offers critiques of the culture of the time and place in a provocative but also intelligent way. GoT just doesn't seem to care about any of that and actively seeks to strip many of those elements that are right there laid out for them in the books. Not all have been stripped away, but certainly more so in recent seasons.

There's a scene in season 3 of Deadwood that stood out to me when comparing with GoT on character consistency. Al is acting totally out of character by shaming (and physically injuring) one of George Hearst's henchmen for shooting at a woman (Alma Ellsworth). It soon turns out that he was just playing him, to gain information from him. Al Swearengen would have a child killed if needed, as was one of the earliest orders he gave in the whole series, with total disregard of gender. Any time a character acts OOC, there's a reason for it.

I miss Deadwood.

I really need to watch Deadwood

5 hours ago, Tijgy said:

The lack of Jaime/Brienne is really painful.

5 hours ago, Ruhail said:

And worst of all no Stoneheart to tie it all back together to show us that duty and honour can still mean something even when hope looks lost.

Nah.   Brienne has a duty to humiliate Pod and and it was an honor to kill Stannis.  I guess Brienne!Smash's work is done.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yup, yes to this comparison on the show's treatment of Jaime and Sandor in both the killing, and in how......they talk, or bark or roar, a good game just as a cover in many instances.  This post reminds me, it's about time to check on my friend and her progress.......and point out how Jaime would NEVER kill a cousin like that, not to mention, a fellow man at arms.  Ughhhhhhhhhhh.  #FuckHBO  #FuckDnD

And they both got their buddy trips too!  Sandor was second fiddle and comic relief to Arya as was Jaime to Bronn.  Gah!

4 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yeah, the really shocking thing is there is not the slightest pretense of critique, serving offensive bullshit straight up on a platter.

Alleged leaked description of Jon in S6 (i made a thread about it but it needs to be aproved) : 

"He [Jon] comes back from death and abandons the Nights Watch, twisting his view of duty into a sick ambition for power as he "legitimises himself" by claiming right to the Kingdom of the North, becoming a dissonant mirror of the worst qualities of Ned, Robb and Stannis to become a feral beast of an unliving, unloving northern king. 

Backed by opportunistic northerners that are driven by bloodlust and revenge and fuelled by the mysterious magic of the foreign priestess of his spiritual predecessor, Jon Stark shows how good can be tainted totally." 

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Alleged leaked description of Jon in S6 (i made a thread about it but it needs to be aproved) : 

"He [Jon] comes back from death and abandons the Nights Watch, twisting his view of duty into a sick ambition for power as he "legitimises himself" by claiming right to the Kingdom of the North, becoming a dissonant mirror of the worst qualities of Ned, Robb and Stannis to become a feral beast of an unliving, unloving northern king. 

Backed by opportunistic northerners that are driven by bloodlust and revenge and fuelled by the mysterious magic of the foreign priestess of his spiritual predecessor, Jon Stark shows how good can be tainted totally." 

Why the fuck not, after all.

Seriously, there's nothing in the show that indicates that aspect of the character, nothing organic about it. But that's the show for ya. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

What can I say other than LOL? 

20 hours ago, Chebyshov said:

Hey guys, remember Arya's Season 5 plotline? You know, the one that was a fine adaptation, as even most of us booksnobs were willing to admit?

Well, @Julia Martell and I revisited it for our last retrospective. Our recap is out now, and the analysis is coming Wednesday. And seriously, it's just as bad as all the others. We were actually amazed to discover that, somehow.

Oh, and keep D&D's quote about this plotline in mind:

I'm not sure if it's more funny or pathetic.

Thank you for that! Yes, I'm always puzzled when people say that at least Arya's plot in S5 was alright or something like the books. Well, she was in Braavos at least and in a place called the HoBaW with faces and people drinking poisoned water, and sold oysters, but other than that it was not THE HoBaW ... it was exactly like the badly written fanfic involving the HoBaW where you shake your head and wonder - did they even read those chapters? George wrote a careful nuanced and balanced but ambiguous atmosphere. But D&D and nuance... nope, impossible. And none of the changes made any coherent sence: completely illogical. Trant stuff: just puke. It was so foul and wrong I'm not even going to waste my time on it. No, it didn't go off the rails as much as with Sansa, Stannis and Dorne... at least she was in the right location, but the location was so altered, they could just as well have written a totally different plot for her altogether. Oh, that's exactly what they did really, but behind the masquerade of a badly lighted set out of the books. Perhaps they think ambiguity has something to do with light?

Archived