Better Call Saul

RumHam

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

and pissed that they'd been sold the show on the premise of it being a prequel when it turns out it was just unrelated.

Anyone who would be pissed at that needs to go live in the slums of Monrovia for a few months and gain some fucking perspective. 

Relic you always pull that sort of card out your pocket. We're all in here taliking about a frivolous tv program. You seem to have no problem making derogatory statements from dare I say an emotional place on mass media like oh, Game of Thrones. So yeah, it's ok to feel pissed off or annoyed or disgusted with a disagreeable creative arc or interpretation from the safety of our sofa or hostel room or Internet cafe in Europe. 

And I would not want an alternate timeline. I'm interested in the 'before Walter White and Jesse Pinkman' as opposed to the 'they never existed in Saul's life'.

55 minutes ago, Relic said:

Anyone who would be pissed at that needs to go live in the slums of Monrovia for a few months and gain some fucking perspective. 

Three quarter of the board keeps bitching about the GoT tv show. Should they also go live in the slums to gain perspective ?

8 hours ago, The Unborn said:

Three quarter of the board keeps bitching about the GoT tv show. Should they also go live in the slums to gain perspective ?

We probably all should :P I understand getting a bit peeved,  but we throw around words like "angry"  and "upset " in regards to trivialities, and either we are being highly hyperbolic, or we badly need to unplug the TV and take measure. 

52 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Relic you always pull that sort of card out your pocket.

Hush!  You can't possibly question the moral superiority bestowed by poverty tourism.  It's deep, authentic and usually has some douchey leather/fabric bracelets.

22 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Frankly I'm livid at the cavalier use of metaphors in this show, and despondent at how some characters misuse their articles and prepositions.... I don't know how I will face another day.

Booze. pills. auto-erotic asphyxiation

Now we're getting somewhere.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Hush!  You can't possibly question the moral superiority bestowed by poverty tourism.  It's deep, authentic and usually has some douchey leather/fabric bracelets.

It's not always consistent either. I spent time in the Middle East living off less than 150 dollars a month. I was hanging out with the Bedouins and some refugees from Syria, got to see the plight of the Palestinians, etc. I was like Bruce Wayne, trying to feel the pain of the people.

And I say that BCS taking place in an alternative universe is an outrage that should preside on everyone's mind.

I do think it's a little silly to say that you're "angry" at writers for putting a show in a certain direction. I only get angry when someone doesn't do something that they are obligated to do (like be a good parent to their kid, not fall asleep at the wheel when you have passengers, etc). Understanding that the writers never had to make a show in the first place, and did so of their own volition, I pretty much take everything that comes from that as a luxury that wasn't required. It would just make me disappointed if they went a direction that made me stop liking it, but that wouldn't mean the writers broke an obligation they had, or anything like that.

As for the alternate timeline idea, well, I'm against it. I do understand the idea and its merits. After all, there's nothing really binding the writers to sticking to BB canon, it's perfectly legitimate to take characters from one fictional story and use them in a totally separate story. (It actually happens all the time, in response to someone who said otherwise, like with James Bond for instance.) But the show did show "Gene" (was that his name?) at the beginning of each season. They would have to think of a completely separate reason for why he's in that scenario. Plus the Breaking Bad canon fits this show quite nicely. It's obviously leading up to that situation, with Jimmy's slow descent into being a total scummy lawyer, and Mike getting involved with the Cartel. Plus, I do like the idea of Jimmy's entire business dealings with Walter and him running from the DEA as the culmination of his descent, so it allows for Gene's plot to be a very fitting denouement to the show.

I also get the argument that if this was separate, we would have the added tension of not knowing what happens to the characters. That may apply well to Mike, but not so much for Jimmy IMO. The big questions in his plot line are not "is he going to die next episode?" but "is he going to destroy his relationships? What will happen to the people around him?" Questions we still don't have the answer to. (Although we do know he won't get disbarred, which I guess does go against my argument a bit.) I was also never really one for shock value, I find that the weakest point of writing, so it doesn't really bother me that much that we know the future of the characters. (Well at least for Mike; we still don't know how Gene's plot will conclude.)

On 4/15/2016 at 6:05 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Sounds like you got an axe to grind bro. 

Sorry for suggesting that getting enraged at a television show might mean you are far too invested in your entertainment. I see how that makes me a troll. My apologies thread. Carry on. 

Saw that coming a mile away. Damn, Chuck is the definition of tenacious, he can not let anything go, when he has to prove something he must prove it. He may be in the right but he's an ass. But I can see his brain is just wired that way, single minded, he can not let go. He's still an ass though.

Chuck isn't wrong, he's just an asshole. Both he and Jimmy are flawed and twisted in their own way, the difference being that Jimmy devotes his efforts to people and Chuck to an institution and ideal.

But Chuck is, no doubt, a full on arrogant asshole. and because he's a brilliant arrogant asshole, he cannot change his mind, cannot permit himself to see people differently from his judgement of them, and cannot admit being in the wrong about anything.

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Don't see how anyone could like Chuck at this point. Not telling Jimmy about his mom asking for him? Fuck him.

So who left the note for Mike? 

To be fair about the first part, it might only make Jimmy feel worse for missing it.

I guess Fring really is back.

1 minute ago, Paladin of Ice said:

To be fair about the first part, it might only make Jimmy feel worse for missing it.

I guess Fring really is back.

The note with just the one word like that, like an order, yeah I could see that being his style.

Archived