Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Tywin et al.

16 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

You'd think that aiding an enemy combatant in disabling the shields for your superweapon would be more than enough to earn yourself an execution in the First Order.

Nah, she can use the Chewbacca defense.

21 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

You'd think that aiding an enemy combatant in disabling the shields for your superweapon would be more than enough to earn yourself an execution in the First Order.

Or maybe knowing that, she flees the Order, and becomes a bounty hunter with a badass armor, basically turning into what fans have thought she would be from the beginning - the female Boba Fett.

25 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Who is alive, other than Finn and Chewie, who even know she helped?    The planet blew up and I'm sure the janitors and storm troopers who might have witnessed her aiding them were last in line for the evacuation ships.

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

Who is alive, other than Finn and Chewie, who even know she helped?    The planet blew up and I'm sure the janitors and storm troopers who might have witnessed her aiding them were last in line for the evacuation ships.

Perhaps she needed to use her access or security code to lower the shields.

5 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Perhaps she needed to use her access or security code to lower the shields.

Yes, I'm sure she did use her access codes but unless they uploaded all the information on day to day operations to off-planet computers during the evacuation, the systems containing that information were all destroyed with the planet.   

4 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Yes, I'm sure she did use her access codes but unless they uploaded all the information on day to day operations to off-planet computers during the evacuation, the systems containing that information were all destroyed with the planet.   

Perhaps they did. A relatively instantaneous and interconnected communications network seems more likely for an intergalactic force than individual, self-contained ones.

On 15/08/2016 at 10:36 AM, Nictarion said:

I don't think they look anything alike tbh. Apart from both being brunettes. 

Felicity Jones is also ten years older than Daisy Ridley. She's clearly been around the block a few more times (she's four years younger than Harrison Ford was in Ep 4) and has a bit more experience to her, which is what the film and the character needs.

On 19-8-2016 at 4:09 PM, Leap said:

Man, the new trailer looks amazing. I'm so excited. 100% on board with Vader killing the shit out of the Rebels at the end, although I'd be surprised if they were bold enough to do that. Seriously though, what a beautiful looking film already. 

Also noticed the lack of female characters thus far, but if Mon Mothma actually has some decent screentime then I'd be okay with it. I'd love some political jousting between her and the other General-y type guy with the white hair - just as a bit of backstory. Would be interested in seeing how Forrest Whittaker's character gets along with the brass as well. I don't think Rey looks or sounds anything like Jyn.

I did get a bit of a 'Rebels' vibe from this too, which is awesome. I am so fucking pumped for Vader though it's unreal; I hope they make him really powerful. That would only serve to strengthen the narrative that he was going easy on Luke, as well as prove that Anakin really was the ''chosen one''. 

I would advise really tempering the Vader expectations. I have them as well, but they've already said he will be in the film sparingly, and it is likely that when he does show up, it's probably not what you're hoping for, or nowhere near enough. That's how these things tend to go.

High expectations for specific events in films often disappoint, is basically the point.

For instance, specific things you're looking forward to from a book adaptation that never works out as good as you think it will.

A Batman vs Superman film in which the eponymous battle is a big fat disappointment. A Star Wars Force Awakens film where you're really looking forward to seeing Luke Skywalker 30 years on, and then he's in the film for 5 fucking seconds without a word of dialogue. A Return of the King film where you cannot wait to see Gandalf the White take on The Witch King only to be presented with Peter Jackson's Fail-Fest. Two Avengers films which are..... nice... but not really as good as you thought it would be to have all of these characters together, kicking ass.

In this case, many of us really want to see Vader in an awesome role and we want to see quite a bit of it. Many would gobble up a film in which Vader is the lead character, or in any case plays a large role in the story.

The narrative from Kennedy and others on the filmmaker's side is already the opposite and is tempering expectations; when they have spoken of Vader in this film, it has come off as though it will be little more than a cameo. A small role, he will be used very sparingly, they said. I think we may still like what little we do see, but going into it with the expectations Leap has, is bound to disappoint. Not because those expectations are in any way unreasonable, but it is not what they do, and rarely does it turn out like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was that Vader wouldn't be in it at all, and he was added in rewrites. In fact, it makes a lot less sense for just Vader to be in it than Vader and Tarkin together.

I do agree a Vader-centric film is quite likely given the other spin-offs they are talking about. The Kieron Gillen-penned Vader solo comic is quite impressive (although Vader gaining "evil" versions of C-3PO and R2-D2 was a bit hokey, if hilarious).

Are any of those anthology films confirmed though, beyond the Han Solo one? 

I thought the other ones were more tentative.

The Han Solo movie is in pre-production. The Boba Fett one was a lock when Lawrence Kasdan was going to write it, but he's now not going to (reading between the lines, possibly because they rejected his idea that the original trilogy Boba Fett was still a mysterious man with no name who killed the clone Boba Fett from the Clone Wars and stole his identity) and they've moved it onto the backburner. I can imagine the Yoda movie also having conceptual issues.

That may be why they've discussed possibly doing a Han Solo trilogy (groan). But the Obi-Wan project is relatively new. I don't think they were expecting Ewan MacGregor to be so incredibly keen on it, and character and plot-wise it's probably got the strongest concept of any of the spin-offs. I wouldn't be surprised to see that formally greenlit.

There's also the possibility that Rogue One is a massive success and they move forward with a sequel to it, assuming anyone survives, or do similar movies with all-new casts.

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I can imagine the Yoda movie also having conceptual issues.

Yeah I can't imagine watching Yoda for that long. They should just work him into the Obi-Wan movie(s).

I want them to do a prequel that is basically a film noir set on Coruscant. A junior Jedi investigating some shady goings on. Yoda would show up in an advisory position. Conceivably, a Count Dooku backstory with the case-gone-wrong being the seeds of his turning to the dark side.

Sadly, this seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I do agree a Vader-centric film is quite likely given the other spin-offs they are talking about.

I like to pretend the prequels don't exist but others see it differently. I don't see a Vader-centric film in the near future. Maybe more films with Vader cameos and him acting peripherally to the main arc, as in Rogue One, but not ones focused primarily on him.

I would love to see some films from other time periods in the Star Wars universe, but studio execs may not think it "familiar enough" for a broad viewing audience.

This thread inspired me to take a much more in-depth look at the Star Wars movies in production or that have been planned for the future.

It does occur to me that they only have the films planned up until Episode IX in 2019, so if they want a film out in 2020 they'll have to make a firm decision on what that is going to be quite soon (certainly in the next year or so).

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I want them to do a prequel that is basically a film noir set on Coruscant. A junior Jedi investigating some shady goings on. Yoda would show up in an advisory position. Conceivably, a Count Dooku backstory with the case-gone-wrong being the seeds of his turning to the dark side.

Sadly, this seems unlikely.

I agree.  Part of what makes the MCU work so well is that they have different themes.  The buddy movie, the heist flick, the WW2 drama...

Disney is full of smart people, at some point someone is going to have to point out that there's a big Galaxy out there far, far away.

Archived