NFL 2016 Draft: To 6 More Rounds Of Misery And Joy!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Ah, the draft! When hope springs eternal. Look at everyone on this board (and around the NFL) saying how much they liked their draft. But remember, 90% of these kids will never make that second contract. Soon the hope will peak as training camp is reached and the coaches 'rave' about their selections.

Then cuts as we enter preseason. And finally, the faces you see representing your favorite team(s) as they struggle through mediocrity will be the same as those who were there before, and it will dawn on  you that this was all a charade. That hope was never anything more than a vague promise made in exotic language.

It is then that you'll begin to look forward to the hope of next year's draft...

Unless you're the fucking Jaguars or Titans, in which case I am suddenly fucking terrified of you.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They are so close I don't think it's worth the bother. It's like Montana/Brady. They are both always in the conversation no matter what.

Agreed. Bengals fans will choose Munoz. Cowboys fans will choose Allen. I don't see the point in arguing something when you're talking about two of the best OL ever. 

3 hours ago, sperry said:

ESPN has some metric called QBASE to project QBs.

Carson Wentz's closest comparisons are Joey Harrington, EJ Manuel, Chad Henne and Jake Locker.

Here is my favorite snippet: " In fact, Wentz's projection is driven mostly by his mediocre raw stats rather than the opponent and teammate adjustments. His statistical profile (as a senior, 62.5 completion percentage, 7.9 yards per attempt, 17 touchdowns, 5 interceptions) puts him with other highly drafted quarterbacks who struggled in the NFL. "

Good thing the Eagles traded the farm for that. The guy wasn't that great, playing low level competition, on a team that was way better than its competition.

Yes, I will not understand what about Wentz projects as a top 2 overall pick type. There's so much built in risk with this guy. The only thing he projects out as elite at, is throwing shade: 

He also said that he doesn’t know much about Bradford because his football watching habits tilted to more accomplished practitioners of the game.

“Yeah, I’ve seen him play a little bit,” Wentz said. “Obviously I know he was a top pick and everything, not too many years ago, and obviously I know he was with the Rams and everything, and now here. But you know, I haven’t watched a ton of film on him. I watched a lot of film on guys like Brady and Manning and Rodgers, those types of things. So I don’t know as much as some of the other guys.”

On 4/30/2016 at 1:29 AM, Nictarion said:

So upon doing some digging online about Tyler Boyd I came across a comment from the NC head coach Larry Fedora where he compared him to Dez Bryant. Not sure how someone like that would fall to the 2nd round  (especially after so many WR), but the prospect has me :drool:

I have had an interest in Boyd since he was in High School (his HS team, Clariton won four consecutive state titles during his time which is what drew my initial attention). I've always been super impressed with his abilities, and thought it was a waste of talent when he went to Pitt. Maybe it's just the homer in me wishing well for a local athlete, but I think he has the potential to be a star. 

Anyone else just totes exciteables to watch the Broncos? Defending champs with a long-term project at QB and starting the legendary ButtFumble himself. Just imagine for a moment that Sanchez puts up pedestrian numbers (3500 yards passing, 26 TD's, 14 INT's, add 3 TD's on the ground) in route to a respectable divisional round exit from the playoffs... it'd be something to witness, bloodbag.

Yeah, I'm all over the Sanchize redemption arc (it's just nice to want nice things once in a while) and I'm back into the Broncos now that FiveHead is gone.

I have spent the last few days reading everything I can about Paxton Lynch.  I think I can best describe my mood as cautiously optimistic.  He appears to be more accurate than expected and even though he is mobile he still looks to pass first.  I know he ran the spread but with a year to sit and learn I am pretty sure I am happy with this pick.  I saw more than one site that thought he was the best QB in the draft though all stated that that was after a year or more of NFL practices under his belt.

I don't even think Sanchez is the worst thing ever for this year; I firmly believe this will still be a playoff team mostly likely as a wild card (I foresee KC taking the division finally and the Raiders still being a year away).

If Sanchez gives me the numbers Jace is showing and the backs can combine for 1800 yards I will be pretty ecstatic next year.  And with an improved line and perhaps the steel of the draft of Booker in the 4th it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/condons-concern-on-bradford-theres-not-really-a-competition/

This article pretty much sums up why Bradford has to stick to his guns re: being traded.  This isn't a legitimate competition, and management needs him to fail. If he plays well, the management look incompetent for burning draft capital and starting caliber players on a player at a position they don't need.  Management need Bradford to look bad and be replaced by the future of the franchise midseason. This isn't a matter of Bradford needing to objectively beat out Wentz, because if that's the case Wentz won't be starting for a few years.

Carson Palmer sat out 8 games before being traded to the Raiders. If the Eagles continue to insist on setting up Bradford as the fall guy for Wentz to come in adn save the day, he should do the same.  At some point the Eagles will have to just accept something for him. By midseason someone will need a starting QB, even if it's just an 8 game rental.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/condons-concern-on-bradford-theres-not-really-a-competition/

This article pretty much sums up why Bradford has to stick to his guns re: being traded.  This isn't a legitimate competition, and management needs him to fail. If he plays well, the management look incompetent for burning draft capital and starting caliber players on a player at a position they don't need.  Management need Bradford to look bad and be replaced by the future of the franchise midseason. This isn't a matter of Bradford needing to objectively beat out Wentz, because if that's the case Wentz won't be starting for a few years.

Carson Palmer sat out 8 games before being traded to the Raiders. If the Eagles continue to insist on setting up Bradford as the fall guy for Wentz to come in adn save the day, he should do the same.  At some point the Eagles will have to just accept something for him. By midseason someone will need a starting QB, even if it's just an 8 game rental.

Or he can show up and try to play well enough that they have to keep him on the field for the whole season, increasing other teams interest in him next off season to where a team may actually want him and Philly can get a decent return for him. Doesn't seem like there's any takers for a guy who signed what essentially was a two-year "prove it" deal, and now doesn't want to prove it.

Yes, after trading up to #2 to take Wentz it was obvious Bradford wasn't the Eagles long term answer. But wasn't a two-year deal pretty much the same thing? For a guy who wants a long term commitment when he hasn't done shit on the field to deserve it, this whole thing is baffling to me.

9 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Or he can show up and try to play well enough that they have to keep him on the field for the whole season, increasing other teams interest in him next off season to where a team may actually want him and Philly can get a decent return for him. Doesn't seem like there's any takers for a guy who signed what essentially was a two-year "prove it" deal, and now doesn't want to prove it.

Yes, after trading up to #2 to take Wentz it was obvious Bradford wasn't the Eagles long term answer. But wasn't a two-year deal pretty much the same thing? For a guy who wants a long term commitment when he hasn't done shit on the field to deserve it, this whole thing is baffling to me.

Thank you.  Bradford signed a big 2 year deal, not a 7 year I am the man deal. He needs to go out and do his job to the best of his ability and let the chips fall where they may. If he is that much better then Wentz will sit and Bradford can get traded next season or get a long term deal the year after. If Bradford continues to suck then tough shit, the Eagles job is to try to win and if they think Wentz can do it then it's up to Bradford to prove his worth.

Bradford can look down south, remember that Drew Brees was about to be ran out of San Diego until Rivers held out for his rookie contract, and see the gameplan he needs to follow.

Or he can ride the pine and count his money on the sideline for the cameras with a big ol' grin.

1 hour ago, SkynJay said:

Bradford can look down south, remember that Drew Brees was about to be ran out of San Diego until Rivers held out for his rookie contract, and see the gameplan he needs to follow.

Or he can ride the pine and count his money on the sideline for the cameras with a big ol' grin.

Exactly. Brees forced Rivers to the bench with good play until his contract was up. Then he got paid. Problem is, Bradford isn't good enough to do that and he knows it. He's already been paid so I guess money isn't much of an issue these days. Now it's pride and he doesn't have enough of the competitive spirit to earn it. If he can't beat out a rookie QB from North Dakota State, not sure he can beat out much.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Exactly. Brees forced Rivers to the bench with good play until his contract was up. Then he got paid. Problem is, Bradford isn't good enough to do that and he knows it. He's already been paid so I guess money isn't much of an issue these days. Now it's pride and he doesn't have enough of the competitive spirit to earn it. If he can't beat out a rookie QB from North Dakota State, not sure he can beat out much.

The thing is it's NOT a competition.  There is zero doubt that Bradford will be better than Wentz for at least this season.  The problem is, the Eagles aren't going to be good, and they will bench Bradford for Wentz halfway through the year. Not based on Wentz giving them a better chance to win now, because he won't.  Because they traded a ton of draft capital and starters for the guy and they have to get him out there for the experience. Quarterbacks do not sit out years at a time anymore.

The Brees comparison is also not a good one.  First of all, Drew Brees is a first ballot hall of famer, and easily a top 10 QB of all time.  Bradford isn't, so making that comparison is not exactly meaningful.  Secondly, San Diego was a really good offensively. They got the #1 pick the year before because Brees was hurt basically all year and was ineffective or out.  When he returned in 2004, he had a good offensive line, and prime years Antonio Gates and LT to work with.  The Eagles are terrible, and have bottom of the barrel offensive weapons.

The two year contract was meant to be an audition for the long term starting job.  They paid him $18 million per year.  This was just base incompetence, as you don't pay that kind of money to what you view as a placeholder qb.

Archived