[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

Why were Ned and his guys not wearing armour? They were clearly prepped for battle and expecting a fight. I know armour in this series is about as effective as tissue paper, but come on.

3 hours ago, Arya Rules! said:

Reed put the blade between helmet and breastplate and this was plain to see.

Yes, it was, on the 2nd viewing. :P I think the camera angle + the black underneath the breastplate got me confused.

18 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

Rangers!

Ahh, I thought their might be a connection with you being a hockey fan and your user name. I was trying to think of a team that would have had a player that won nine rings. 

6 hours ago, WSmith84 said:

Why were Ned and his guys not wearing armour? They were clearly prepped for battle and expecting a fight. I know armour in this series is about as effective as tissue paper, but come on.

Without wanting to be too cynical, it's probably so the audience could tell the difference between the characters on-screen.

The First Men fought with bronze armour. Apparently, the Starks decided this was too easy against Andal steel and decided to regress back to leather. Not even boiled leather, either, or studded to reinforce it, just decorative leather.

Sorry if this has been covered, but where did the notion that no women are allowed in Oldtown come from? 'Scuse the sexism, but are we to believe that all the cooks and washer*women* are men? Never mind that in the books, Tyene's mother comes from Oldtown. What, in short, is Sam on about?

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but where did the notion that no women are allowed in Oldtown come from? 'Scuse the sexism, but are we to believe that all the cooks and washer*women* are men? Never mind that in the books, Tyene's mother comes from Oldtown. What, in short, is Sam on about?

Not allowed in the Citadel, boys club, becoming a maester is sexist, there is another club for the silent sisters.

6 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Okay, but surely Gilly could live outside the Citadel, close enough to Sam?

Somehow I just don't there are vacancies for receptionists, placing his future career in jeopardy?  I didn't think fatherhood was becoming of maesters gaining them a link when other maesters don't have offspring, they serve? It was almost like taking the black, they can fornicate, but being fathers is a no, no. She could live in Oldtown I don't see why not but it was like the Unseen University a strictly members only institution, with its own strict rules.

5 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

So is he just gonna dump Gilly on his mum and break off all contact with her and the kid? He's not the kind of guy to wander so far from his promise to her, surely?

On the show we will see equality because F the Black. Oops I understand how that can read wrong, haha. So there will likely be that other vacancy in the kitchens and a WHAHAHAHA.... Or who else knows what happened to Gendry?

8 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

Why is Varys a fucking saint?

He cought the desease from Tyrion.

About ToJ: I agree with those who are perplexed by the lack of armour on Ned and the Strak bannermen. I mean they knew they are just about to face the best fighter in the entire seven kingdoms and they bring nothing? No armour, no helmets, no shields? WTF?

Also the spinning attack by the Stark bannerman who was stabbed in the belly was silly: he did not follow through the spin with his sword, why? That seemed to be the whole point of the spin and he just stops his swords and pulls it back? So that to give a clean opportunity for Arthur to stab him? WTF?

1 hour ago, watcher of the night said:

About ToJ: I agree with those who are perplexed by the lack of armour on Ned and the Strak bannermen. I mean they knew they are just about to face the best fighter in the entire seven kingdoms and they bring nothing? No armour, no helmets, no shields? WTF?

I think budget constraints and again they said each epiode cost 10 millions dollars

22 minutes ago, TheLastLibrarian said:

I think budget constraints and again they said each epiode cost 10 millions dollars

Yup, budget constraints, I can just see it: a conversation between Ds and an assistant:

a: "boss should we give the stark redshirts some helmets and armour?"
D: "No, we need money for Tyrion's drinking game with Grey worm and Missandei."
a: "But, boss there will be no drinking game."
D: "Ah, we need money for the intense stare down between Tommen and the High Sparrow."
a: "Boss, that is more like a happy mothers' day pep talk ..."
D: "Alright, give them a helmet and two shield."
a: "But there are six of them!"
D: "Make them  five! Also it is two shields and a helmet more than they deserve, dishonourable cowardly bunch!"

5 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

Yup, budget constraints, I can just see it: a conversation between Ds and an assistant:

a: "boss should we give the stark redshirts some helmets and armour?"
D: "No, we need money for Tyrion's drinking game with Grey worm and Missandei."
a: "But, boss there will be no drinking game."
D: "Ah, we need money for the intense stare down between Tommen and the High Sparrow."
a: "Boss, that is more like a happy mothers' day pep talk ..."
D: "Alright, give them a helmet and two shield."
a: "But there are six of them!"
D: "Make them  five! Also it is two shields and a helmet more than they deserve, dishonourable cowardly bunch!"

Excellent, to me it seems like you might have actually been in the room with them!:P

44 minutes ago, TheLastLibrarian said:

It isn't budget, they have the resources, helmets, shields. It is laziness. Ned doesn't have a helmet? or any armour, the head of House Stark??

13 minutes ago, Conchobar said:

It isn't budget, they have the resources, helmets, shields. It is laziness. Ned doesn't have a helmet? or any armour, the head of House Stark??

Don't lazy people get the sack? Someone should start a petition for one of the Ds to be swapped for fresh blood. 

Is it just me or does the opening bit of ToJ scene remind anyone else of a Clint Eastwood western - cue music, riders, grim faces.

Archived