Am I the only person who doesn't like watermelon?

I spent quite a few years disliking the taste of mangoes. Now that I have gotten older and my taste buds have atrophied a bit, I find I can handle it. 

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nope.  I've had watermelon at the height of summer fresh off the vine.  It still tastes like watermelon.

If this is the case, you were obviously dealing with a novice gardener.  :P

A great watermelon has absolutely no peer in the realm of fruit.

To those of you who really hate watermelon:  What does it feel like to be dead inside?  To have no soul?  When you look in the mirror, do you see a pale zombie like apparition or a normal facade?  I am truly curious.

19 minutes ago, Ixodes said:

To those of you who really hate watermelon:  What does it feel like to be dead inside?  To have no soul?  When you look in the mirror, do you see a pale zombie like apparition or a normal facade?  I am truly curious.

To be honest, the crocodilian form of my aspect in the Outside... delicious slices of cantaloupe, glowing with the light of haloes of holy divinity, disappearing into the maw of blessed Oblivion. Salted with the shrieks of the damned

There is no argument against a good piece of cantaloupe.  I wish I had the skills and knowledge to select the best melons but I struggle. If I walked into the local market and was told that a wondrous melon experience awaited me and I could could choose watermelon or cantaloupe, I would go for the watermelon every single time. 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Preferably something involving carpet chewing

:lol:  This sounds wrong somehow.   (Maybe it's just the weird mood I'm in, though.)

1 hour ago, Ixodes said:

This. 

My husband could LIVE on watermelon.  I loved it as a kid, could take it or leave it for a long time, then recently I've rediscovered the joys of this fruit/melon/whatever.  It's actually a great diet food if anyone's trying to lose weight.  It's (obviously) loaded with liquid, gives you a full feeling, and can be pretty satisfying if you have a sweet tooth. 

Good stuff.  Scot and the other melon-haters are just plain crazy.  :P 

ETA:  Although, the true Emperor/Emperess of fruits is the strawberry.  Whenever I have a wonderously sweet, juicy berry (not the huge, wooden-tasting ones you get in the stores most of the time) I say my favorite line: God really knew what He was doing when he invented the Strawberry. 

A great blueberry is pretty awesome too.  A nice ripe papaya sprinkled lavishly with fresh lime ain't half bad either.

Let's face it - I like fruit.

For me orange is the most perfect fruit and perfect flavor.

Anything that has an orange flavor is my favorite flavor unless it's mixed with something else. To me it is an abomination to mix something so pure as orange flavor with another flavor (creamsicles I'm looking at you!) and grosses me out.

But watermelon is great too, if you don't have oranges around.

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Whenever I have a wonderously sweet, juicy berry (not the huge, wooden-tasting ones you get in the stores most of the time) I say my favorite line: God really knew what He was doing when he invented the Strawberry. 

That motherfucker gets credit for everything, you can give him credit for inventing the wild progenitors but humans created the strawberries that you actually want to eat. 

8 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

:lol:  This sounds wrong somehow.   (Maybe it's just the weird mood I'm in, though.)

This. 

My husband could LIVE on watermelon.  I loved it as a kid, could take it or leave it for a long time, then recently I've rediscovered the joys of this fruit/melon/whatever.  It's actually a great diet food if anyone's trying to lose weight.  It's (obviously) loaded with liquid, gives you a full feeling, and can be pretty satisfying if you have a sweet tooth. 

ETA:  Although, the true Emperor/Emperess of fruits is the strawberry.  Whenever I have a wonderously sweet, juicy berry (not the huge, wooden-tasting ones you get in the stores most of the time) I say my favorite line: God really knew what He was doing when he invented the Strawberry. 

A great blueberry is pretty awesome too.  A nice ripe papaya sprinkled lavishly with fresh lime ain't half bad either.

Strawberries are wonderful, if they are small.  The big berries have no flavor (and are frequently hollow inside).

35 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Strawberries are wonderful, if they are small.  The big berries have no flavor (and are frequently hollow inside).

I just ate three most excellent flavoury strawberries yesterday; they also happened to be giant and not hollow inside.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

For me orange is the most perfect fruit and perfect flavor.

Anything that has an orange flavor is my favorite flavor unless it's mixed with something else. To me it is an abomination to mix something so pure as orange flavor with another flavor (creamsicles I'm looking at you!) and grosses me out.

But watermelon is great too, if you don't have oranges around.

I'll agree with you that oranges are wondrous and rank among the topmost of pleasures in this life.  But I like them ANY way I can get them, creamsicles included.  :)  I love, say, orange flavored chocolate too. 

3 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

That motherfucker gets credit for everything, you can give him credit for inventing the wild progenitors but humans created the strawberries that you actually want to eat. 

Well, to be honest, if we're talking imaginary beings, I could just as easily have said Mother Nature.  And, yes, humans did bring out the best in strawberries, but they also took it too far and ruined them. 

As for durian, I can't comment on a fruit I have never had the pleasure of trying.  I don't recall ever seeing it in the produce aisles.  Maybe they have some downtown at Eastern Market.  If I ever get over there and find them, I'll report back. 

10 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

This. 

mmmhmmm.  I like a good melon, I like the citrus fruits too, but nothing beats berries.  Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries.  Fuck yea.  I'll take 'em all.  

Archived