US Elections -- The Wrath of Khan

17 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

And I know Hispanics who prefer the term. It has a subtly different meaning from Latin American, since it includes people from Spain, but excludes Brazilians.

I think people who identify as indigenous South Americans as opposed to descendants of European colonisers would also wish to be excluded from being encompassed by that term. It's a poor descriptor as a general term for South Americans. Perhaps it is acceptable use when specifically referring to the subset of people who do identify with the Spanish colonists.

It also appears to be more offensive to South American people who don't and have never lived in the USA, like pretty much all the South American people I know.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I just want to say I would NEVER do something like that, but I've never felt an urge this strong (or at all) with any other candidate no matter how I felt about them.

ETA:

I live in deep red part of a blue state so sometimes it feels like I may as well be in a red state, but still I'm seeing less "Trump" signs than I did for Romney or McCain at this time in their respective election runs. But they are starting to sprout up here and there.

Well I live in central Texas, and I still see Cruz stickers and signs everywhere. Definitely more than I'm seeing Trump support. Oddly enough I'm seeing a lot of Gary Johnson bumper stickers too. Feel the Johnson made me laugh. :P 

11 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, the last time that happened was McGovern/Eagleton where Eagleton was 'asked' to withdraw his name from the ticket and he did so. Is that correct? Can the VP candidate refuse such a request?

I don't see why not, though it would be a disaster for all parties involved. 

It seems a strange scenario to contemplate.

'Vote for me, I have great judgement. I have no faith in my own VP pick though. What was I thinking?'.

'Vote for the guy who hates me. He might die, I'd get his job'.

'Vote for the White House Feud ticket. You think you've seen divided government? You ain't seen nothing yet!'

Thinking back...

You would have to go back to Kennedy and Johnson to find a President/VP duo who really didn't like each other, to the point where had Kennedy lived he might well have kicked Johnson off the ticket in 1964.

Eisenhower suffered Nixon.

Franklin D. Roosevelt had a falling out with his first VP, since Jack Garner was your old-school Texas Democrat, and not keen on this New Deal business.

Woodrow Wilson and Thomas Marshall didn't get along.

And then there's Andrew Jackson's famous deathbed regret about not hanging John Calhoun.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The body of the article:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article93763582.html

I'm still not seeing Lokisnow's numbers.  The body of the article has Trump at 31% and Johnson at 10%.

Like my post indicated, I'm breaking out the 18-29 demographic because it is so remarkable

5 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Like my post indicated, I'm breaking out the 18-29 demographic because it is so remarkable

well, you know the saying: if you're under 25 and not feeling the johnson, it's because you've got no marihuana, and if you're still not feeling the johnson after 25, it's because you've got no money.

Archived