Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

Everton stomp all over Sunderland. It finished 3-0 but could have been alot more. This is such a poor Sunderland side. Moyes is going to need to work a minor miracle to keep them in the league. Everton looking solid - the defensive shape is so much better and the attacking play is starting to come together.

Yeah, you can only beat what's in front of you, and we've been doing that business well. 

What I saw today also convinced me that Kone - the Sunderland one - would have been a great signing. Strong, composed on the ball and really quick. His partner at the back, though, was ... less than impressive. Lukaku could run around him at will. 

I also like the ruthlessness of the manager in swapping Barkley (who reports say struggled) with Deulofeu, and moving Mirallas in. Just hope Barkley will get the message "we want you, but better" and not "you're on your way out".

Ospina, Chamberlain and Coquelin in the Arsenal line up ahead of Cech, Giroud and Xhaka with Alexis up front. Bold call by Wenger.

Also City vs Gladbach called off due to heavy rain. Couldn't have been a nicer day down south.

Well, that thrashing of the Bhoys was to be expected, maybe not with that scoreline. But a 4-0 or 5-0 for Barcelona was easily within the range of normal results for that encounter. 

On the one hand, you had Barcelona one of the strongest teams on the planet (if not the strongest). On the other hand, you had Celtic the reigning champions of a second (or third) tier league, who barely escaped elimination in the qualifying stage against bloody Beer Sheva. 

If Dembelé had not missed that penalty, maybe the scoreline would have looked less depressing. But overall the final table in that group will probably look like this.

1. Barcelona

2. Man City

3. Gladbach

4. Celtic

Will be tuning in to the Leicester game. Will probably end up switching over now and again to the Spurs game.

Anyone know the reasoning behind Spurs playing at Wembley instead of WHL?

ETA. Nevermind. Found an article on the club's website that explains the situation.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Will be tuning in to the Leicester game. Will probably end up switching over now and again to the Spurs game.

Anyone know the reasoning behind Spurs playing at Wembley instead of WHL?

It's coz of the new stadium being built next to the old one, and UEFA apparently having stricter rules on how that affects the fans, capacity, and sponsor exposure.

They'll be playing all their home games at Wembley next season, so I guess this is a little head start.

Based on the little I've seen, Spurs have been really poor. Kane's poor form continues. Pochettino should consider getting Janssen on and maybe even dropping Kane altogether.

ETA. Alderweireld gives Spurs a lifeline. Not really deserved since Spurs were well and truly second best.

Just imagine how poor Stoke must be to make Spurs look good last Saturday.  That was supposed to be the win that would ignite their season.  In fairness, Kane has terrible stats for the early weeks of each season.  He seems to have a pattern of starting poorly.

Great outcome for Leicester.  With the new rules guaranteeing 4 CL spots for the PL clubs, I'm less invested in PL teams doing well to preserve the UEFA coefficient, but I would like to see Leicester have some fun in the CL.

It's hard to ignore that Barca, Bayern, Dortmund and City all smashed their opponents in these opening games.  Yes, there were a few surprises and some tough games (RM were a bit fortunate), but the competition looks increasingly lopsided.

Archived