Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

The talk in Norway before our match against Germany was centered around "Do we have any chance?"

Well, 64 minutes in, we're three goals down and Neuer has yet to make a save. I think we can answer the question with a "no". 

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

How do the England managers not see the players who are struggling so badly? Harry Kane has been dogshit on toast for at least four months, and he's still being treated as caviar!

I'm staggered by his comments on Rooney.

Everything Allardyce said post-match suggested Rooney will be retained regardless of form. It had begun with a television interview in the bowels of the stadium. “Wayne played wherever he wanted,” said the manager. “He was brilliant and controlled midfield. I can’t stop Wayne playing there.”

That demanded further clarity upstairs. “This is the most decorated outfield player in England. He’s won everything at Manchester United, at Champions League and domestic level. I think he holds a lot more experience at international football than I do as an international manager. So, when he is using his experience and playing as a team member, it’s not for me to say where he’s going to play.

I'm sure Roy Hodgson also felt it wasn't for him to tell Rooney how to play.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That is an extraordinary thing for a manger to be saying. Good grief.

I find it truly bizarre. At times Rooney was playing in defence. And not doing a very good job of it. All the while nobody was around Kane to help him. 

What ever Big Sam says, he clearly changed things in the 2nd half because the formation was more of a 4231 than first half, and Rooney didn't float so much. The sooner Rooney is dropped from playing football the better.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That is an extraordinary thing for a manger to be saying. Good grief.

I remember in the wake of Woy's resignation The Players letting it be known that they would prefer a foreign manager because there was no suitable English candidate. Presumably Allardici was amongst those deemed not good enough. For large parts of the game last night it looked like the players couldn't be bothered. I wonder if he'd lost the dressing room before he even took the job. 

His comments on Rooney make him a laughing stock. Unbelievable thing for a manager to say. 

On 9/5/2016 at 6:18 PM, Raja said:

Thought this was a good read, so I thought I'd share 

How Pep Guardiola is putting a modern twist on a British classic at Manchester City

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing it.

It'll be interesting to see how we line up and play with Gundogan in the mix. It would have to be marginally different unless Fernandinho, who has been excellent in the role Ilkay would play, is dropped or placed in another position. 'Dinho does have the attacking ability to play the "free eights" role Silva and De Bruyne have been playing, which would obviously lessen the creativity but enhance the defensive ethic, which might not be a bad thing against a Mourinho team. That would probably mean dropping Nolito and giving De Bruyne or Silva his role as a left sided forward.

Of course, Zabaleta has played in central midfield before and he looked more comfortable in Pep's fullback role than Sagna did. It's a shame Sagna won't get so many chances to cross the ball in this system though. He's a superb crosser! I'm also amazed how well his fitness has held up nearing mid-30s. I always rated him highly but thought he was finished when he got all those lengthy injuries at Arsenal. Does that offer further suggestion that Arsenal's fitness/physio system is faulty?

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

I don't know. Sagna had two seasons where he had issues (29-31 matches played) but the other 5 seasons at Arsenal, he played 40+ matches. Also, his crossing was so meh!

I'm surprised by that. His crossing has been exceptional for City. It is possible that anyone's crossing would look brilliant in comparison to Navas though! And Clichy's crossing is dreadful too. Sagna's is outstanding compared to them.

Clichy is one of the worst crossers there's ever been, so if you're comparing to him anyone looks good. I remember Sagna at Arsenal being unspectacular going forward, not bad but just kinda filler in that respect. I haven't paid so much attention to either of them at City but I've never noted Sagna to have improved spectacularly and I'd have thought I would have...

It amuses me that Clichy and Sagna are City's first team full backs. Sagna is still excellent though, and Mexal is right, he had that one awful injury ( broke his leg, I think) which kept him out for a season, but I think he played plenty of games for us after that. 

Sagna's crossing is the same as it was for Arsenal, tbh - he's *okay* putting crosses in, he will put 2/3 good ones every game ( as he did at AFC), but that's the extent of his offensive game, imo. 

Also, Messi sounds like a moron.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Clichy is one of the worst crossers there's ever been, so if you're comparing to him anyone looks good. I remember Sagna at Arsenal being unspectacular going forward, not bad but just kinda filler in that respect. I haven't paid so much attention to either of them at City but I've never noted Sagna to have improved spectacularly and I'd have thought I would have...

The bolded is probably true.

I didn't mean to suggest Sagna was impressive going forward as such, only that his crossing is excellent. Obviously, I watch every City game and every time he crossed a ball last season it looked dangerous: good curl, accurate and consistent. Made Navas look like a twerp (which admittedly isn't that difficult).

I am happy to accept that our crossers are severely lacking though and Sagna may look better at it than he is to me because of that. 3 assists in 27 PL starts last season is pretty good for a fullback whose only quality going forward is crossing and is playing in a team without a great deal of aerial ability up front.

We're back!  Stupid international break is behind us.

I won't be waking early for the Manchester derby.  I hope it's a good game but I've seen Mourinho's parked bus far too many times to have much faith.  I'll watch Liverpool vs. Leicester later instead, although I know they are the worst kind of opposition for us.  Their deep defense and fast counter-attacks with long balls pretty well nullify our strengths and expose our flaws.  Liverpool now missing Can and Klavan too.

Arsenal and Everton to smash Southampton and Sunderland respectively?  Chelsea should win their game but, like Utd, have picked up more points so far than their general play has deserved.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

like Utd, have picked up more points so far than their general play has deserved.

We haven't been phenomenal or anything, but I think it's harsh to suggest that we didn't deserve to win any of our games. We've been the better team in all of them, even if we haven't dominated.

Dunno if the same is true of Chelsea.

United has unquestionably played the better football in each of the three ties so far.

If the derby can conjure up even half of the thrills and drama the latest round of the South American World Cup qualifiers delivered we're in for a treat and a half.

Archived